Edge Green or Radiance 3D mini for Aspect ratio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Will the Edge Green or Radiance 3D mini do a good job in filling my screen when there's a 16:9 or 4:3 source. Without much cropping or PQ loss? Sorry for the noob question don't know to much about VP's. I have a Elite 70X5 LED set . Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Is your display a 2.35:1 (22:9) aspect ratio? If so then they will both have to do exactly the same amount of croping or distorting of the image to stretch it from 16:9 to 'fill' a 2.35:1 screen. It is simply the laws of physics. There is no magic bullet so you either stretch or crop, or perhaps a mixture of the two (but you'll need the Lumagen for that since the Edge is a bit more limited. However, IHMO it's a crummy excuse to buy such a good video processor.

If it's a 16:9 screen and you just want to fill it with 2.35:1 content then pretty much the same applies.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea.. My display does stretch or zoom. If I zoom it fills the 2:35:1 but I don't like how there is cropping on the sides of the image.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Yea.. My display does stretch or zoom. If I zoom it fills the 2:35:1 but I don't like how there is cropping on the sides of the image.

If you don't want to crop the sides then you will need to do some form of non linear stretch. This will affect geompetry but there is no way round that. Lumagen have an NLS mode that does at least allow you to decide how much croping, where the distortion happens and by how much, so at least you can decide the look of this effect.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the Mini3D does a great job with the NLS, i have tried several 16:9 sources and stretched them to 2.35:1 and i think it looks surprisingly natural on my cinemascope screen.
Sure, the picure will get a little distorted and you will loose a little information at the top & bottom but like someone said before, you can tweak these settings to your own preferences.

Personally, i love the NLS feature!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Personally I hate the NLS feature, but each to his own. I just don't 'get' the 'must fill the whole screen all the time' mentality. I use side masking for 16:9 cheap pieces of black velvet pinned up to cover the side bars and just watch at 1.85:1.

Still, there would only be one model of everything AV if we all liked the same thing. smile.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #7 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

it's a crummy excuse to buy such a good video processor.

I believe the older Vision processors will do this, for a few hundred$ used.

Noah
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

I think the Mini3D does a great job with the NLS, i have tried several 16:9 sources and stretched them to 2.35:1 and i think it looks surprisingly natural on my cinemascope screen.
Sure, the picure will get a little distorted and you will loose a little information at the top & bottom but like someone said before, you can tweak these settings to your own preferences.

Personally, i love the NLS feature!

Agreed! I certainly don't stretch everything as I still prefer to watch 2d blu ray in its OAR, but for things like animated 1.78/85 3d and games I am really enjoying the NLS feature more than I expected. I love all the tweaking options as well. VERY cool option/feature to have for CIH users IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
[deleted]

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #10 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Agreed! I certainly don't stretch everything as I still prefer to watch 2d blu ray in its OAR, but for things like animated 1.78/85 3d and games I am really enjoying the NLS feature more than I expected. I love all the tweaking options as well. VERY cool option/feature to have for CIH users IMO.

What does the NLS feature really do? Is this on the mini 3D?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

What does the NLS feature really do? Is this on the mini 3D?

It allows you to stretch out, or stretch and crop a 1.78/85 image to 2.35/40. You first setup your projector to fill a scope screen horizontally which will give you a well framed scope image, but 1.78/85 will shoot off the top/bottom of the screen onto your screen wall. In order to get your 1.78 image framed right at this point without having to re-zoom the projector, you setup a shrink option which scales the image down to fit the 1.78 image inside the 2.35 screen (black bars on the sides). At this point you can then NLS the image to fill the 2.35 screen by stretching, or stretching and cropping (you could just crop it as well, but this would not require setting up the NLS feature).

This is not just a feature with the Mini as quite a few VPs can do the NLS from my reading. The Mini does allow lots of options for both the stretching and cropping to tailor things however you think looks best. The downside to all this is you are loosing resolution and altering the original geometry, so it is a trade off and only you can determine if it is worth it. For me it is worth it for some things like 3d 1.78, games, menus and extras (which I never really watch anyway). For 2d blu ray I still much prefer to keep OAR intact AND get the full resolution by zooming my projector down which is extremely easy if you have a motorized lens and even easier if you have lens memory.

Here is a video by forum member BrolicBeast that shows NLS in action........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7nYe-YzM

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #12 of 14 Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
What is the cheapest video processor that can do 2.35:1 NLS from 1.85:1 image?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #13 of 14 Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I think a lot of you are misunderstanding the o/p's question, and he's misunderstanding what you're telling him. He does not have a 2.35:1 CIH screen. In his first post, he said that he has a Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 TV. That's a standard 16:9 set.

rhed, I think you need to better describe exactly what it is you're trying to do. Your TV is 16:9 (1.78:1). Some movies will be wider than that (2.35:1), which will appear with black letterbox bars on the top and bottom. Some movies or TV content will be narrower than that (4:3, aka 1.33:1), which will appear with pillarbox bars on the sides. Are you trying to make everything fill the screen without bars, or are you only concerned with 4:3 material?

What this ultimately comes down to is that the geometry is what it is. Your TV is one shape. If you want to fit content of other shapes into it, you need to either crop or stretch it. Or you can just learn to deal with the black bars, which is by far the easiest and best solution.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The least expensive solution for you is the Edge Green. It has an easy to use continous zoom to fill your screen exaclty as much as you want. The remote control has +zoom and -zoom straightforward controls that bypass the menu, for when that's all you need to do.
BTW, you are asking a controversial question. In this place people will scold you for wanting to do that.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page