DVDO Edge Green? Worth it for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm an AV newbie looking to build a system. My apologies in advance if my questions are basic--I've done my best to read up but feel I am more confused now than before.

I have not bought a display TV yet, though I am leaning towards the Sharp LC-80LE844U.

I am looking at possibly getting a video processor. From looking at this forum, I see good things about the DVDO Edge Green. I have two questions about this:

1. I will predominantly use this TV for watching HD TV from my cable box and streaming content from netflix. Will the processor really improve the picture quality from these sources? Is it worth it to get a processor given my main use will not be watching blu rays? If another processor would be better for my needs, I'm open ears.

2. If I get video processor like the DVDO, do I also need to get some sort of amp to route though or can I hook up the DVDO between my cable box and TV without any other device in between? I assume that If I also want my blu ray player to benefit from the processor I will need some sort of amp? Is this even correct? If so,any thoughts on what I should get?

Thank you all for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
I have an iScan Duo, similar to the Edge. It largely depends how your TV handles the feed from the cable box, which is why I'd suggest getting your TV first and then seeing what needs improving. I don't watch much streaming content, but the Edge would be adequate at best; there's only so much you can do with heavily compressed sources, and the chip inside te Edge/Duo isn't renowned for its noise reduction. It does deinterlace and scale well (especially for its price), which may help with cable channels, but again, how your TV handles the feed from the cable box will decide if its really necessary.

If your cable box has an HDMI output, you'd just plug that and your blu-ray player into the Edge (if you decide to get one)and then an HDMI cable from the Edge to the TV. If you want to take advantage of higher quality/surround sound audio, and not just your TV speakers, you'll need an amp.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Is there something better for noise reduction and dealing with compressed content that you'd suggest?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

For example, I believe some AVR have just as good (likely better) video processing than the DVDO edge.

Would one of the Denon (or another brand's) AVR's do as good a job (or better) and mean I would not have to buy a separate receive to deal with speakers? If so, any suggestions? If I can get an all in one unit, I'd like to be around 600.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videopotus View Post

For example, I believe some AVR have just as good (likely better) video processing than the DVDO Edge.

Yes, that is correct. Some even use the same chip as the Edge. The difference between a receiver and a dedicated video processor is that the latter will likely allow for finer control and expanded functionality. You'd have to look at each receiver on the merits of your setup and what picture controls you need truly need.

Unfortunately I'm out of the loop when it comes to the new receivers, but I'm sure the Audio section of this forum will have plenty of receiver recommendations. But again, not to beat a dead horse, I'd wait to get the TV first and see if its actually deficient in its processing -- then you can decide how to tackle its deficiencies.