Reading .avi files off a USB Hardrive - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Video Processors > Reading .avi files off a USB Hardrive
sandman123's Avatar sandman123 01:29 PM 01-18-2013
right! - I don't know yet.

sandman123's Avatar sandman123 02:49 PM 01-19-2013
Bluechunks

Ok so adobe premiere I think uses the 'DV' codec in the aqusition of minidv tape files.
Then it looks like none of the current media players will play that.

Actually even my latest gen macbook pro dosen't play them.

However latest windows based pc and laptop will play it.

so now i really can't use a standalone media player to do this.

I'll have to convert to a lossy format for that.

Other options are just hook up computer as monitor and play.
Use dvdo with svideo input to play directly. Will have to go back to magnolia and check quality of this.

Only way oppo will work is to use one of the compression codecs that it supports.

thanks
bluechunks's Avatar bluechunks 03:26 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman123 View Post

Ok so adobe premiere I think uses the 'DV' codec in the aqusition of minidv tape files.
Then it looks like none of the current media players will play that.

Actually even my latest gen macbook pro dosen't play them.
If it really is the DV codec, download and install the latest version of VLC Media Player (free) for Mac. This software will play the DV codec. As an added bonus, if it does work but it is not DV, VLC will even display the actual video and audio codecs in use for future reference.
IanD's Avatar IanD 02:19 AM 01-20-2013
It is important to know exactly which type of video recording your camcorder uses as it will determine which will give the best results.

Video8 stores data in analogue format equivalent to VHS, so composite is fine for that.

Hi8 stores data in analogue format equivalent to S-VHS, so s-video is best for that.

MiniDV stores data digitally using the DV codec: firewire should provide a lossless transfer of that quality, whilst s-video will perform a lossy D->A conversion and then you will need to perform another lossy A->D conversion to get it back into a digital form to store on disc (not recommended).

DV is an intermediate codec used for storage and editing: it's meant to be output in a more compressed format for final viewing. Consequently, very few (if any) devices support the DV codec directly for playback.

It is usually recommended to make a backup of the DV files from miniDV using firewire and archive them with redundancy, then convert the backups to DVD, H263 or H264 for general viewing and sharing.

Because DV is interlaced and around 600x480 resolution, DVD is a good medium for viewing (at high bitrates to keep artifacts at a minimum). This means that a good deinterlacer is required when scaling to an HDTV (Oppo player, VP, etc). Alternatively, it is possible to process DV with a good deinterlacer at the time of encoding, which means that possibly H.263 (Divx/Xvid) or H.264 might be a better viewing medium as it is more compact and only needs to be scaled since it is already progressive.

Some DVD/Bluray Recorders have firewire inputs that allow converting directly from DV to the output codec. This can often be the simplest way to convert and view the material. Processing via a PC allows more control over the process, but is more complicated.

Once you decide on an output codec, then that will dictate the type of player you need and the VP required to make it look the best on an HDTV.

It is also quite practical to play back a DV file via a PC direct to an HDTV, although either the PC will need to process the material for best results or it needs to be passed through a VP to do that.
sandman123's Avatar sandman123 12:28 PM 01-21-2013
Bluechunks,

Thanks I'll try the VLC player.

Ian,

I use a sony vx-2000 minidv camcorder.
I have captued, (with firewire) edited and output to DVD using Adobe Premiere.

I think Adobe premiere uses the DV codec to capture and edit.

When i made DVD's I was uisng mpeg2 codec with high quality setting. The resulting DVD's played back through my older Blu-ray player (which upconverts) look ok. Of course not as smooth and colorful as original captured file played back on the HDTV with the computer hooked up directly to tv (Using tv as mnonitor)

I have also played with encoding to mpeg2 with maximum constant bitrate and progressive output. Stored this on a usb stick and played through my HDTV directly. This file looks ok again, but not as good as original.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a loseless codec that can be used to encode, and play back through a video processor?

2. If I capture in DV codec and play those files through my computer, (With TV hooked up as monitor), what is doing the scaling? Is the media player on the computer doing the deinterlace and upscaling?

3. Is there a deinterlace and upscaling program I can use on the computer (upscaling not avaliable in my version of premiere), keeping the file in DV format, then play this back using the computer and Tv as monitor?

4. Same quesiton as 3, but maybee deinterlace, upscale and encode to some viewable format, then play back directly on TV.

5. As an aside, Is capturing with DV codec, and storing these files be a good archiving method? Will playback, and editing of DV codec files be supported in the future? - Or is it better to not expend the effort to capture all these tapes now until an archival method is avaliable?

Thanks very much.
sandman123's Avatar sandman123 09:18 AM 01-22-2013
Bluechunks,

I tried the VLC player, and it does play the 'DV' codec .avi files on the mac, However, all moving edges have bad jaggies!
There's no stutter, but the jaggies are terrible. Unwatchable.
It's a brand new (6mo old) macbook pro.I played with all the video settings etc, but it didn't do any good.

The files playback great on my 7 yr old dell laptop!

Any suggestions?

thanks
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop