Multi-Input converter box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do multi-input converter boxes exist?

I'm basically looking for a box that can convert a Component, S-Video, and Composite signal to VGA or HDMI, wrapped up in one box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yup.

They are called Video Processors and you found the correct forum. smile.gif

To get you started, a couple of the more popular VPs that are currently available are the DVDO Edge, DVDO Duo, and the entire Lumagen line.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The question is a bit vague but it seems to be asking about a simple format transcoder box rather than a full-featured vp. There are composite and S-video to HDMI and component to HDMI 'converter' boxes that come up in Google but none have all three that I see on the first page. Also it'd be better to explain exactly what it's needed for as transcoding can be done in all HDMI AVRs.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

The question is a bit vague but it seems to be asking about a simple format transcoder box rather than a full-featured vp. There are composite and S-video to HDMI and component to HDMI 'converter' boxes that come up in Google but none have all three that I see on the first page. Also it'd be better to explain exactly what it's needed for as transcoding can be done in all HDMI AVRs.

Here's my dilemma.

I want to replace my aging DELL 2405fpw (had it since 2006) with a newer energy efficient LED monitor. My 2405fpw has all the video input connections I mentioned above except HDMI since it didn't exist at the time.

Now, I'm a huge fan of old school gaming consoles and have been collecting them since I was a kid. All of those inputs on my monitor are occupied by game consoles; every thing from the original Nintendo to Sega Saturn to GameCube, I own nearly all of them and play them on a weekly basis.

Naturally, if I'm going to replace my monitor, I would like one that has Composite, Component, and S-Video input, just like my current monitor. The problem is, the only led monitors I've found that have all of those inputs cost $600+.

Since there are single adapters you can buy for hooking up consoles like a PS2 to a monitor, I was hoping there might of been a multi-input box solution instead of having to buy an adapter for each console.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you don't have to spend this kind of money. If you buy a video processor for something between $100 and 150, you'll have all the inputs you need, plus much better processing than your old monitor offered with it's internal processing. There are just a few processors you have to avoid because they don't handle the 15khz 240p signals some of your sources deliver. If you pick the right processor you also get RGBs inputs which allow you to upgrade your Saturn's or SNES's quality without the need to use RGB to component transcoders in addition. If you chose a processor which VGA output you can add a scanline emulation device between the processor and the monitor (SLG3000, RetroVGA or Mini-SLG) which looks great with your 8 to 32-bit systems. Check the link in my signature. I've reviewed almost all processors available and how they play with our beloved old gaming systems. You might want to look at getting an iScan HD/+ or a VP20 unit. They usually go for $100 to 140...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page