Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

just a switch with two (mirrored) outputs
Are you absolutely sure Mark, that it is not a Matrix switch? I glanced through the user manual but I didn't see matrix capability
http://www.dvdo.com/documents/DVDO/DVDO%20Quick6_UGX-SV0228.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

just a switch with two (mirrored) outputs
Are you absolutely SURE mark? My understanding is that it is a matrix switch. Of course, matrix switches can act like mirrored but is this really not a matrix switch?

yes, according to my understanding , it is just a switch: a matrix switch can send any combination of inputs to any combination of outputs, much like my Gefen 8x8 matrix switch

The Quick6 does have two modes for the HDMI AUX out but that is just an AVR mode: in every case you are switching several inputs but there is only one output that is mirrored
post #33 of 60 Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mark,
Thanks for clarification. I almost bought this, assuming its a matrix switch.

There are several 4X2 matrix switches, I forgot what I paid but I think they are both under $100, on amazon (and I think on monoprice). They are not quick.. they seem ok.

I own a couple of them. They do work but not perfectly.. Long story but they essentially work as matrix swtiches - each with certain idiosyncrasies.

silicone image introduced a 6X2 matrix chipset:

http://www.siliconimage.com/Company/News_and_Events/Press_Releases/2011_10_3_Silicon_Image_Introduces_Industry-First_6x2_Port_Processor_Featuring_InstaPrevue%E2%84%A2_Technology_and_ViaPort_Matrix_Switch_for_Multi-Room_Viewing/

In fact, they call it instaport.

This dvdo is a waste for me. $400 and not even a Matrix? DVDO site is not even clear on their web page. They should have used the "mirrored output" term and clarified that its not a matrix switch. I hope they get stuck with a lot of returns..

I shall continue to look/wait for the slilicone image chip based 6X2 units.. I am surprised that it is taking so long.. because that chipset was announced last year.
post #34 of 60 Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well I quite like it.

I'm sure you know that Silicon Image own DVDO but that's by the bye.

I can understand your disappointment but perhaps the Q6 is not as useless as you suggest.

Certainly if you have read the manual you will at least get a flavour for some of its features and capabilities.
They may not have the specific feature you require but does that make this as redundant as you suggest?
Quick6fan likes this.
post #35 of 60 Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Well I quite like it.

I'm sure you know that Silicon Image own DVDO but that's by the bye.

I can understand your disappointment but perhaps the Q6 is not as useless as you suggest.

Certainly if you have read the manual you will at least get a flavour for some of its features and capabilities.
They may not have the specific feature you require but does that make this as redundant as you suggest?
I am writing the following, as a friendly debate and not to offend you in anyway. This is only my personal preference and not meant as a general opinion. There are many inexpensive 6X1 matrix switches and 1X2 mirror devices which in the past, were quite sufficient for my use. Personally, I really don't care about PIP. If that's what someone wants, I guess its worth spending $400 on this device. I would assume that faster switching and auto switching are both very convenient but it is my personal opinion that I would not spend $400, without it having matrix capabilities. I didn't know (or I forgot) that silicone image owns DVDO and now am even more surprised that they didn't incorporate matrix capabilities - I might even venture to guess that the chipset they are using might actually be matrix capable.. or maybe not.

In general, I don't understand why they have $60 ($80?) 6 X1 switches but no one else makes a 6X2 matrix in low price point. Geffen and others being very expensive. I saw some chinese sourced 8+ X ? matrix switches but in the $1500 price range. What is it about the matrix that makes them so expensive when a simple 6X1 is so cheap?

I tried two 4X2 matrix switches to simulate 6X2 matrix (each under $100 I thought) but it just didn't work out well. There were handshaking issues.
post #36 of 60 Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Thanks for reply,

I am uncertain whether DVDO are using the SI chipset you refer to in this Switch (lets hope that is the case) but as you say if that is so it would probably have the capability to have the feature you require.
In which case a firmware update may solve it for you?
post #37 of 60 Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Going to be receiving on this weekend to utilize for 3D, 4k signals to an LG 84", so will post once it's configured and working (hopefully!)

AV stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got a Quick6 hooked up last night with sources like Oppo BDP103, a 1 month old PC with top specs (and NVidia Titan card going in today for 4k output), cable, AppleTV, Dune Base 3D, etc. Shows some promise but so far not passing 3D automatically. Had to use the "force 3D" option on the Oppo and it then worked. Not passing through the PC output at all to our LG 84" Ultra HD (although the 2nd HDMI feeds our AV receiver and I use that output for a 2nd TV, and the computer displays just fine on that). Could be an EDID handshake issue. Also trying to work through ARC setup as 3D has a sync issue while 2D from all sources works just fine. Switching is pretty fast. The Preview function of the various sources is pretty cool and a nice feature (although obviously not a need to have). Have left a detailed message DVDO to work through a couple of these issues, and hopefully they're just user error smile.gif

AV stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 60 Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
That's a nice post silverlight. I am very intrigued with the Quick6. If I didn't have a Duo already I would definitely own one now. Until I get a source that does 4K scaling better than 1080p through the Darblet into my 1000ES I am content. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #40 of 60 Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 22
I'd pay good money for anything that allows me to switch between sources and see/hear the next one faster. Can't they do a firmware upgrade for my Duo? I'm not going to buy another switcher when I have an 8-port scaler/switcher with most inputs unused.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #41 of 60 Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I read the manual over and over and I still don't see the point of this unit. Why not just buy a DVDO Edge? You'll get a switcher AND a scaler. IMHO a switcher that costs $400 is absurd when you can get the identical functionality from other brands for around $150 (especially because I don't see the point of the preview function).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #42 of 60 Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I read the manual over and over and I still don't see the point of this unit. Why not just buy a DVDO Edge? You'll get a switcher AND a scaler.
One of the reasons why I bought my Duo was to get faster picture acquisition. And I've been sorely disappointed in that area. I'm tired of waiting several seconds before I can see a picture and do what I need to do. Time is money, and all those 3" intervals do add up. Sure it's nice to have the scaler, but the crash sync when I switch sources is awful! Crash sync was never this bad in the analog domain.
Quote:
IMHO a switcher that costs $400 is absurd when you can get the identical functionality from other brands for around $150 (especially because I don't see the point of the preview function).
My first 4-channel HDMI switcher was around $200, and that was with crash sync. Yes, I'd pay an extra $200 or more to get all the advantages of genlock and frame buffering at home. If the Quick6 was on the market when I got my Duo, I'd probably have gotten it instead, and saved myself $400+.

As for picture-in-picture, I can think of a few occasions where I'd use it. I don't particularly need a full-time second monitor, so P-i-P would be ideal for me. If you don't need it, just don't use it. *shrug* And if you can find a less expensive HDMI switcher that maintains sync when switching between sources, please share!

post #43 of 60 Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Dunno, I change HDMI source before I'm watching a movie and that's it. I don't go back and forth between inputs. Also I use a projector, so a 3 second HDMI sync is not goign to make or break the movie watching experience. It takes at least 15 minutes to properly warm up the projector anyway. YMMV, of course.

post #44 of 60 Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM

My deal is that I have two TiVo boxes and some other stuff. So I'm constantly switching sources to monitor the various tuners, enter programming data etc. If you're not switching between sources as often, it's probably not a big deal for you. Cheers!

post #45 of 60 Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the explanation. I hardly watch anything else but blu-ray to the point I tend to forget the need of instant switching.

Thanks again!

Cheers

post #46 of 60 Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 11
I am seriously considering an Octava HD41 ARC and I saw this DVDO Quick6 Model.

I plan to have a TV and Soundbar connected to an HDMI switch. The audio needs to be passed to a wireless headset when the soundbar is turned off. The TV has built-in applications such as Netflix, which should work simultaneously for the headset and soundbar. The soundbar and headset won't be used simultaneously.

Sharp 60" (847) TV

Sharp Soundbar

Octava HD41-ARC 4x1 HDMI Switch with ARC and Optical Audio Output

In the HDMI forum, Joe Fernand said the connection concept below would work:

AV Devices (Apple TV, PS3, etc.) connect to the Octava HDMI Inputs.
Octava HDMI Out to TV HDMI input 1 (see manual p. 12 and 57-58)
The Octava Toslink output is split with one PCM stream going to the soundbar, while the other is converted to analog audio and passed to the headphones.

I'm not concerned about Dolby Digital in this setup, just clear PCM audio getting where it needs to go.

Please let me know what your thoughts are regarding the switching capability of the DVDO Quick6 vs Octava HD41ARC. I don't care about instant preview and fast switching.

What I DO care about is fast handling of the optical audio output from whatever switch I choose, so I don't have lip sync issues. I also care about 3D signals working correctly.

From an end user perspective, the most tangible difference between these models (if instapreview is turned off) is faster switching and a nicer remote on the DVDO Quick6.

Thanks.
post #47 of 60 Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
Some questions:

Does the Quick6 pass multichannel audio to the HDMI, coaxial audio, and optical ports simultaneously?

Does Quick6 pass ARC audio from primary HDMI output to the auxiliary HDMI output *and* the coaxial audio and optical ports--simultaneously?

Has the Quick6 had issues with passing 3D from your Blu Ray player to the Primary HDMI output?

Thanks
post #48 of 60 Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10
@Grayleaf,

Here's my answers (in bold) based off reading the user guide and playing around with the device.

Some questions:

Does the Quick6 pass multichannel audio to the HDMI, coaxial audio, and optical ports simultaneously?
Yes. But coaxial and optical cannot support HD audio so if the audio format is HD audio then only HDMI will carry the signal.

Does Quick6 pass ARC audio from primary HDMI output to the auxiliary HDMI output *and* the coaxial audio and optical ports--simultaneously?
No. Currently Quick6 can only pass ARC to coaxial and optical ports.

Has the Quick6 had issues with passing 3D from your Blu Ray player to the Primary HDMI output?
No issues. Quick6 supports 3D and 4K pass through.

Hope this helps you! Love my Quick6.
post #49 of 60 Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I bought one of these as it seemed to be aimed exactly at my needs. I had a mess consisting of two cascaded HDMI switchers, plus an HDMI splitter, in order to drive two displays in one room with six sources. This allowed me to clean everything up and have one tidy box. The addition of the InstaPrevue and PIP features is a bonus. So far, I'm really liking it -- works great -- no problems at all.
post #50 of 60 Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Are you absolutely sure Mark, that it is not a Matrix switch? I glanced through the user manual but I didn't see matrix capability
http://www.dvdo.com/documents/DVDO/DVDO%20Quick6_UGX-SV0228.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VbFKIdN8iwM
The confusion is here,if this was working the way it's described in this Dvdo video then it would be tops,what gives?
Did they lie about the capabilities????
post #51 of 60 Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbus View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VbFKIdN8iwM
The confusion is here,if this was working the way it's described in this Dvdo video then it would be tops,what gives?
Did they lie about the capabilities????

After emailing DVDO about the same issue, the team let me know that after their testing, they could not offer Matrix functionality without affecting the performance and features of Quick6. Hope this helps!
post #52 of 60 Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The AVR via AUX HDMI mode did not work for me which is unfortunate. My specific setup includes a Lexicon MC12HD preamp with a HTPC and Oppo BDP-093 as sources feeding to a Epson 6010. I was asked to upgrade to the latest firmware 2.01.04 but without success.
With the Oppo BDP-093, if I set 3D output to forced, I am some times able to get a 3D signal to the projector but if I switch ports and come back it reverts back to 2D. For audio, the Lexicon is not playing the HR audio format even after trying the custom EDID modes.
In the case of the HTPC, I am unable to get a 3D signal to the projector. For audio, I am only able to get 2 channel stereo. The sound control panel on the HTPC shows either the Epson or Quick6 connected but both show up only as two channel stereo.
I would love to get my MC12HD back in the rack as the audio is phenomenal compared to the Marantz AV8801 I am currently using. Tech support has not been able to figure out how to resolve the issue.
post #53 of 60 Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 AM

I bought this so that I can switch sources for my projector (Main HDMI) and a Symth Realizer using the Aux HDMI.

Very happy with it until I watch 3D media.....it will go 2D......and return to 3D only when I disconnect the AUX HDMI.

Only way out of this is to install a HDMI splitter immediately out of the source.

I am now waiting for my Gefen Toolbox 4X4 Matrix (4K)...it is currently on pre-order....

(Audio)
post #54 of 60 Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM

I installed one of these last night. So far my favorite feature is the automatic audio switching. I run the main HDMI out to my Pioneer 1130 plasma, and the AUX HDMI out to my Marantz 8002. I selected the AVR audio setting for audio out. If the AVR is on, the audio is routed only to the AVR. If I turn the AVR off, the audio is routed to the television. I have a pair of wireless headphones attached to the monitor out on the television. Now, when I want to watch at low volume, or on headphones, I can turn off the Marantz, and not have the receiver, 7 monoblocks and 2 subwoofers idling…

Now, If I can just get my remote to understand headphone mode vs receiver mode….

-Drew
post #55 of 60 Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post

The AVR via AUX HDMI mode did not work for me which is unfortunate. My specific setup includes a Lexicon MC12HD preamp with a HTPC and Oppo BDP-093 as sources feeding to a Epson 6010. I was asked to upgrade to the latest firmware 2.01.04 but without success.
With the Oppo BDP-093, if I set 3D output to forced, I am some times able to get a 3D signal to the projector but if I switch ports and come back it reverts back to 2D. For audio, the Lexicon is not playing the HR audio format even after trying the custom EDID modes.
In the case of the HTPC, I am unable to get a 3D signal to the projector. For audio, I am only able to get 2 channel stereo. The sound control panel on the HTPC shows either the Epson or Quick6 connected but both show up only as two channel stereo.
I would love to get my MC12HD back in the rack as the audio is phenomenal compared to the Marantz AV8801 I am currently using. Tech support has not been able to figure out how to resolve the issue.

The "AVR via AUX HDMI" did not work for me after upgrading the firmware either. Then I set the AUX to mirror, then back to AVR via AUX HDMI and it started working.

-Drew
post #56 of 60 Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Also, for you Mac users out there, when you format your USB memory stick, be sure to set the "Partition Map Scheme" to "Master Boot Record" as well as setting the partition type to FAT32. Otherwise neither of the published firmware upgrade methods will work.

-Drew
post #57 of 60 Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post

I am having similar problems with my Oppo BDP-103 and Denon 3808ci. 3D video will sometimes revert to 2D after switching ports. And I can't get any audio from Quick6 over HDMI Aux to the Denon. I have to use S/PDIF which is not as desirable. So far I haven't found a solution.
post #58 of 60 Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
had the quick6 do everything its advertised to do, it would be a decent unit. the problem is it did not work as advertised for me. I bought this unit in the summer and a few months later the remote stopped working. this was the beginning of the end. dvdo did exchange the unit for me including the faulty remote, but the problem were just beginning. I had bought a new panasonic dmp-bdp500 player and now I wanted to run the quick6 audio >>avr via hdmi. this is where I ran into all kinds of issues. first of all the dmp-bdt500 never worked avr via hdmi. it did however work via s/pdif. not ideal as you lose the hd audio modes. as the days go by I discover more and more issues. the cable box wouldn't work at all in avr via hdmi. the pioneer multi region dvd has intermittent episodes of no audio/video. the instaview is practically useless. the picture windows would often be blanks. the auto audio switching from tv audio/avr audio never worked correctly for me. I had to manually swap modes from mirror mode to avr vid hdmi (except for the panasonic bd player where I had to switch to s/pdif cause it didn't work in hdmi). although not ideal.....I can live with the manually switching. this however would not go well with my wife and it becomes very complicated to use for her. I really don't have the time to dedicate in trying this and that to get it right. tech support has been decent. they showed me that they want to help but...the product is just not very good.

im at the point where im thinking of scrapping the idea of using this and either going back to my old set up with my shinybow 4x1 or if anyone can recommend a unit with at least 6 inputs and can do thing similarly that the quick6 can do....ie audio via hdmi.....

either that or pray that one day they come out with a firmware that fixes all this...kinda doubt that will ever happen.
post #59 of 60 Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Curious if anyone has had success hooking this up to an Xbox. My Xbox is acting all wonky (turning on/off spontaneously) and there's some speculation that it's related to the fact that the Xbox is behind a switch.
post #60 of 60 Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post
Hello,

Owner of a Quick 6 loaded with its last available firmware (02.02.00), I do have almost same issues with an Oppo BDP-93, A Yamaha DSP-Z11 AVR and a Sony VPL-VW1000ES.

Cabling diagram :
Oppo is connected to Quick 6 HDMI input #1
Sony is connected to Quick 6 HDMI "Main" out
Yamaha HDMI input 1 is connected to quick 6 HDMI "AUX" out

Using either "mirror mode " or "AVR to AUX output mode" :
- Getting 3D Projector capability from the BRD player is very rare (need Quick6 multiple boot to get it),
- My AVR only plays audio in stereo mode despite DTS-HD MA 7.1 played tracks on bluray from the Oppo,
- Switching inputs from my AVR loose sound out of the HDMI Switch (reboot needed).

I really can't understand why DVDO is not working to solve these issues on their product...
My own use of the Quick6 is a 'standard' case of use (old AVR, with old HDMI 1.4a)... This should work like a breeze !!

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !

Last edited by JohnHWman; 07-01-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page