Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello eveyone.

i was hoping to get a bit more information on this new product from DVDO.
anyone know pricing and availability information?

sometime DVDO runs special pricing for avsforum members, i hope i will not miss it, i want to upgrade my DVDO Edge to this new thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Wasn't it just a (robust) HDMI switcher?
post #3 of 61 Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still the thing as announced a year ago, right ? 6-Port HDMI switch with Picture-in-Picture preview for all active sources.....
post #4 of 61 Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 466
I am also interested in this device

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #5 of 61 Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I was curious about this device also but have not heard anything. Watched the demos on you tube that is it.

Frank
post #6 of 61 Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbouchard View Post

hello eveyone.

i was hoping to get a bit more information on this new product from DVDO.
anyone know pricing and availability information?

sometime DVDO runs special pricing for avsforum members, i hope i will not miss it, i want to upgrade my DVDO Edge to this new thing!

Going by this site it says price will be $499

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/cables/dvdo-quick6-hdmi-matrix-switch

Frank
post #7 of 61 Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It doesn't look like it scales anything, so it basically looks like a whole bunch of little features sort of cobbled together into an incoherent product. Now, if they added those features to the DVDO EDGE, then it would make sense.
post #8 of 61 Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

one of its features, InstaPrevue, is on the new Marantz 8801 preamp/ processor

it shows thumbnails of up to 4 HDMI inputs on the screen: there are menu options for where they appear on screen and if it is one thumbnail or 4: nice feature but the thumbnails are a lower picture quality and have quite a bit of lag

the one feature of interest to me is the instant switching of HDMI inputs

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #9 of 61 Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

one of its features, InstaPrevue, is on the new Marantz 8801 preamp/ processor

it shows thumbnails of up to 4 HDMI inputs on the screen: there are menu options for where they appear on screen and if it is one thumbnail or 4: nice feature but the thumbnails are a lower picture quality and have quite a bit of lag

the one feature of interest to me is the instant switching of HDMI inputs

Even with lag, it's still enough to identify what's what. Although I feel like people should learn what's connected to what or use a universal remote anyways. All these features seem like nice minor value adds for the next generation of EDGE, not a standalone product.
post #10 of 61 Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

this item has been released: I have one coming in tomorrow to check out

I requested RS232 protocol details from DVDO: if anyone has this I would appreciate getting the info

post #11 of 61 Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

DVDO provided the serial codes: if anyone needs them, please PM me with your email

post #12 of 61 Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

quick6 in the house
Quick6fan likes this.

post #13 of 61 Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
CIH USER

Curious to read your thoughts on it Mark

Frank
post #14 of 61 Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

I wanted to check this device out to see just what HDMI switching speeds are: it is a nice unit specifically designed to complement older receivers

The HDMI switching speeds are indeed quicker than anything I have seen: my guess it is 1- 2 seconds*: it does this by maintaining an HDMI handshake with each connected source: and this also allows for the Insta Vue feature to show thumbnails of multiple HDMI sources simultaneously

interesting I tested this with the main output feeding a Gefen Toolbox 8x8 matrix switcher, and the aux output feeding a Marantz 8801 prepro:

when switching inputs on the Quick6, I saw the 1- 2 second switch on a display fed by the Gefen: it took 2 more seconds for the 8801 picture to come up: I assume this is due to processing delays in the Marantz

Insta Vue is OK: I think there is a glitch with the location of the thumbnails: one window is always out of position

It has the original firmware and I do not see any available updates yet

Nice menus and controls:the menu only comes up on the main HDMI output

not for everyone but if you have an older AVR it may be of interest: and if you want fast HDMI switching this works well

* the 1- 2 seconds is an estimate: there was no other HDMI switching going on: just the Quick6
Quick6fan likes this.

post #15 of 61 Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if they are going to released a new generation of the EDGE with this functionality, the newer chips with 4K upscaling, 4K video processing from a 4K source and better analog support? It would make a really killer package.
post #16 of 61 Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I wonder if they are going to released a new generation of the EDGE with this functionality, the newer chips with 4K upscaling, 4K video processing from a 4K source and better analog support? It would make a really killer package.

I doubt if this will happen. At Cedia last year the people I spoke to gave no indication of this. That being said one never knows.
post #17 of 61 Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

I wanted to check this device out to see just what HDMI switching speeds are: it is a nice unit specifically designed to complement older receivers

The HDMI switching speeds are indeed quicker than anything I have seen: my guess it is 1- 2 seconds*: it does this by maintaining an HDMI handshake with each connected source: and this also allows for the Insta Vue feature to show thumbnails of multiple HDMI sources simultaneously

interesting I tested this with the main output feeding a Gefen Toolbox 8x8 matrix switcher, and the aux output feeding a Marantz 8801 prepro:

when switching inputs on the Quick6, I saw the 1- 2 second switch on a display fed by the Gefen: it took 2 more seconds for the 8801 picture to come up: I assume this is due to processing delays in the Marantz

Insta Vue is OK: I think there is a glitch with the location of the thumbnails: one window is always out of position

not for everyone but if you have an older AVR it may be of interest: and if you want fast HDMI switching this works well

* the 1- 2 seconds is an estimate: there was no other HDMI switching going on: just the Quick6

Perhaps the InstaPrevue has been designed to indicate which input is selected by offsetting that input?
In other words is it possible that pressing the select button will change it to that particular offset input? I can see that feature being useful if several inputs are present in the InstaPrevue view.
post #18 of 61 Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

if I recall correctly, the thumbnails never duplicate what is on the main screen

another glitch I noticed is when Insta Vue is on, you cannot change the input: you have to turn Insta Vue off first

my Marantz 8801 also has Insta Vue and the thumbnails are all presented properly

post #19 of 61 Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^

if I recall correctly, the thumbnails never duplicate what is on the main screen

another glitch I noticed is when Insta Vue is on, you cannot change the input: you have to turn Insta Vue off first

my Marantz 8801 also has Insta Vue and the thumbnails are all presented properly

I meant Mark that as you say you are watching current input so the ones that are live but not being viewed are in the InstaPrevue.

I am suggesting that maybe the offset is used as a selection tool to show which input can be viewed when select pressed. Scrolling through with left right or maybe up/ down arrows may do this.
post #20 of 61 Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I doubt if this will happen. At Cedia last year the people I spoke to gave no indication of this. That being said one never knows.

What's their future business model? The EDGE is what they are known for. This would be a good way to iterate it.
post #21 of 61 Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

What's their future business model? The EDGE is what they are known for. This would be a good way to iterate it.

Great question. I asked about a new EDGE at CEDIA last Sept but got no answer. Who knows they may have something this Sept.
post #22 of 61 Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

keep in mind the Quick6 does not do any scaling or video processing: it is an HDMI switcher with several new features

post #23 of 61 Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Great question. I asked about a new EDGE at CEDIA last Sept but got no answer. Who knows they may have something this Sept.

I sent an email, they are very good at keeping quiet. I asked them if there is going be any update or a new VP I got a negative on both ends.

Frank
post #24 of 61 Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Seems strange to just sit idly by, but we'll have to wait and see I guess. There are many features and improvements I can think of that would be very useful in the next version.
Quote:

keep in mind the Quick6 does not do any scaling or video processing: it is an HDMI switcher with several new features

Yeah, that's why I was wondering when they would roll the Quick 6 features into the next EDGE with 4k upscaling and 4k processing.
post #25 of 61 Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. Seems strange to just sit idly by, but we'll have to wait and see I guess. There are many features and improvements I can think of that would be very useful in the next version.
Yeah, that's why I was wondering when they would roll the Quick 6 features into the next EDGE with 4k upscaling and 4k processing.

My setup has 6 inputs that were catered for by my DUO.
Apart from its video enhancement capabilities I have long appreciated the DUO's HDMI switching feature.

The ability to prioritise the inputs is invaluable to the other members of my household who used to rely on me to change the display output.
''Can you sort the TV to let me watch a Blu Ray'' was a familiar request from 'She who must be obeyed'.

This feature has now been refined with the Quick6 into a more visible (and therefore more useful) feature to my family.

Anybody who does not have a means to switch their inputs will get a massive 'thumbs up' from their less technically capable family members if they get a Quick6.

In fact it may be worth the money to duplicate the EDGE or DUO switching capabilities with this HDMI Switcher that in this way appeals directly to the multi input USER rather than the video expert.

Other features are exciting as well with comprehensive audio switching capabilities significant.
post #26 of 61 Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is the Quick 6 a matrix switch with the ability to route two different inputs to it's two outputs ? Or is it just a switch with two (mirrored) outputs ?
post #27 of 61 Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

just a switch with two (mirrored) outputs

post #28 of 61 Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Is the Quick 6 a matrix switch with the ability to route two different inputs to it's two outputs ? Or is it just a switch with two (mirrored) outputs ?

Not sure on that one.
Here is the manual:

http://www.dvdo.com/documents/DVDO/DVDO%20Quick6_UGX-SV0228.pdf

It seems to have 'mirror mode' and 'AVR mode' for the two HDMI outputs.
post #29 of 61 Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

My setup has 6 inputs that were catered for by my DUO.
Apart from its video enhancement capabilities I have long appreciated the DUO's HDMI switching feature.

The ability to prioritise the inputs is invaluable to the other members of my household who used to rely on me to change the display output.
''Can you sort the TV to let me watch a Blu Ray'' was a familiar request from 'She who must be obeyed'.

This feature has now been refined with the Quick6 into a more visible (and therefore more useful) feature to my family.

Anybody who does not have a means to switch their inputs will get a massive 'thumbs up' from their less technically capable family members if they get a Quick6.

In fact it may be worth the money to duplicate the EDGE or DUO switching capabilities with this HDMI Switcher that in this way appeals directly to the multi input USER rather than the video expert.

Other features are exciting as well with comprehensive audio switching capabilities significant.

Yeah, that's the thing, 90% of what they do is different. Hopefully the next EDGE will have the features of the Quick6, making it an easy sell with the family/roommates/whomever as well.
post #30 of 61 Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:

This has my interest piqued. HDMI handshake lag drives me batty. I take it this all but eliminates that? Will I still get my onscreen menu from my AVP?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page