Need thoughts/tips on the most economical "All to HDMI" input solution. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to get an all in one solution for converting classic game systems to my HDTV (Sony Bravia LCD). I got one of those simple RGB to YUV SCART to component converters. However, Sega Master system doesn't work and even the Genesis is flaky. Rotten Sony! So I have been researching other solutions. I cannot justify spending over $200 on a converter(s) so the Micomsoft and similar stuff (almost everything on Fudoh's page) is out of the question. I don't care about upscaling, I just want them to remain 4:3 and be clear. As well as avoid as much lag as I can.

I have SCART cables for Genesis, 32X, SMS, SNES, and N64 (modded). I have VGA from Dreamcast. The rest of the old stuff is just composite (NES, TG-16) or RF (Atari).

Anyone know anything about this unit sold by J-Tech and ViewHD?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Registered-Trademark-Multi-Functional/dp/B008VWGLXO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Multi-functional-Converter-Support-Surround/dp/B004K61QAS/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Seem to retain resolutions, but no idea if they are 240p compliant, or much of anything else.

I like the range of inputs the Lenkeng LKV391 All to HDMI provides, but its north of $300 and has to be imported from China, which I am not comfortable doing. I didn't see it reviewed by Fudoh, but I assume it's similar to the other LenKeng stuff.

http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/all-video-to-hdmi-converter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I did't have a chance to review the units you linked, but as you said yourself, 240p support is questionable and I *highly* doubt that the quality is anything better than on a $30 monoprice HDBoxPro clone.

As usual I can only recommend looking into the older DVDO units. Something like an iScan HD, HD+, VP20 or VP30. For an iScan HD you're looking at $90-110, a VP20 might be around $140, but I can guarantee you that these are a hundred times better than anything Lenkeng or any other HK/china manufacturer has available. And on the plus side, you also get full RGBs input support on the DVDO units, while you're limited to component on the JTech/VideoHD units.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

The VP20/30 don't have VGA input, and none of the iScan's have SCART so I don't know how I could connect without first converting RGB to YUV, "losing RGB"? The biggest problem with the DVDO's is that almost none of them take analog audio, and if they do, it's one set of inputs! What do I do with all the audio cables then?

The XRGB-3 would be perfect for me, but they are laugh out loud expensive. I mean, they are a total joke in terms of price. How can a video processor cost more than a television?
post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The VP30 has full RGBHV/VGA input support through a set of BNC connectors.

Scart is just a silly and overly complicated type of connector. All the iScan units I named do fully support RGBs signals through 4 RCA connectors.
So, no, there's no converting from RGB to component first. And if you need more analogue audio inputs, just get a switcher.
Quote:
The XRGB-3 would be perfect for me
no, sorry, but with your attitude and knowledge the XRGB-3 is not for you. You'll be much happier with a plug'n'play unit like the iScan VP30.
Quote:
hey are a total joke in terms of price. How can a video processor cost more than a television?
measured by the number of hours I've used my video procecssors, they turned out to be quite affordable. And I'm always happy to add a $500 processor to a $2000 TV set to max out the quality. We're not talking a new $4000 Radiance unit here, but a mere $150 max for a VP30.
Greg2600 likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hang on, don't brand me the dumb loud mouthed Yank just yet! I do believe in science!

I see the DVDO stuff on ebay used, is sometimes (rarely the VP20/30) < $100, though used is always a risk. Anyway, I didn't realize that the component inputs (RCA style) could take straight RGB, nor that SCART and VGA could be converted to BNC (again we don't use those here). My apologies on that. I don't mind paying $15 or so for VGA to BNC or SCART to RCA (do those exist?). But will I be able to assign analog audio to multiple Analog video inputs?

You are right, plug n play is better for me, even more so is reducing the # of devices to plug into the power strip (out of room!). I have all these SCART cables now, and I just want the setup to work for as little $ as possible. I don't need the highest quality. Convenience is more important. As I said, having to switch the audio separately is a pain in the butt. But keeping the old stuff in 4x3 ratio is #1 concern I have. I cannot stand stretching to 16:9.

Convenience, retaining 4:3, lowest cost.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But will I be able to assign analog audio to multiple Analog video inputs?
sure, no problem.

If you have multiple Scart sources, you can use a Scart switch with a single connector cable going from the Switch to the processor. Very easy to handle.

You're right. It's not THIS easy to pick up a VP30 at the price you want, but with a little patience, it isn't this hard either. Where are you located ? At least you know about the existence of RGB via Scart, so you're more likely European than American wink.gif
Greg2600 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in NJ USA. I've only become acquainted with "RGB" recently, as my HDTV is absolutely horrible with old 240p games on composite. I tried SCART to component, and most of the systems don't even produce video on that TV (Sony). I'm not looking for supreme performance, just an upgrade from composite that retains 4:3 scale. If the stupid TV had taken the inputs from the RGB to YUV box, I wouldn't be bothering with all this!

I wonder if I should just adapt SCART to RCA, VGA to RCA (Dreamcast), etc. into a component switch box with audio of course, and then send that over to a SCART to HDMI upscaler (that has a Ratio option)?

I appreciate your help regardless.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post

Hang on, don't brand me the dumb loud mouthed Yank just yet! I do believe in science!

Keep in mind that although everyone here uses English, it may not be their primary language. Sometimes things come out a little more...direct. I actually laughed at that exchange, knowing Fudoh wasn't trying to insult you, but that you might take it that way.

Unfortunately for North Americans like ourselves, integrating SCART is a nightmare. At least in the USA you can get SCART parts! In Canada we need to import them and pay a minimum of $16 shipping for a $1 part!

As for your audio problem, if you have a tonne of consoles, I'd suggest going through an extron matrix switch. That's my end-game. You have to convert the SCART to BNC RGBS to go through the extron (might need to convert to raw sync for some consoles) and the audio will switch with the sources.

Tough to get there, but convenient after you do. I'm learning to solder as making your own cables will be a lot faster/easier/cheaper in the long run. Buy extra parts. I have discovered I am not good at soldering. rolleyes.gif

You are taking the road less traveled. Nothing is going to be "easy". You are in a niche within a niche being a classic gamer who wants good quality, posting on an internet forum for video processors. Keep that in mind. wink.gif

It took me years to wrap my head around this stuff and I'm still learning. Once you've gone to SCART in North America, you've left "easy country". Thankfully the end result is worth it, at least in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post

I see the DVDO stuff on ebay used, is sometimes (rarely the VP20/30) < $100, though used is always a risk. Anyway, I didn't realize that the component inputs (RCA style) could take straight RGB, nor that SCART and VGA could be converted to BNC (again we don't use those here).

Just a quick correction as we do use BNC here in North America--just not in consumer gear. Every TV station in this land is wired up with BNC connectors
post #9 of 17 Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Doesn't seem unreasonable, but I just want it to convert VGA from DC, SCART 240p (could be adapted to rca wires), and old composite rca, WITH audio, to HDMI. While keeping the aspect at 4:3. Yet in 2013, no one unit does it other than the Lenkeng LKV391.

I found a few on ebay, but they say component and I don't think they take RGB input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251165994946

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300775402435
post #10 of 17 Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no "just" in what you want. While VGA to HDMI is easy, upscaling 240p to HDMI is the most complicated task around. Most of the high-end video processor utterly fail at trying....
post #11 of 17 Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

The problem I keep running into is that my "source" is SCART, and next to nothing affordable will use that and actually work. The units I just posted, the older, cheaper DVDO iScan Pro and Ultra, are all under $130 but they only take component not RGB. The cheaper Lenkeng SCART only to HDMI would be okay, but they don't do 4:3 and I doubt my TV can be forced to. Then I look at the high end models, and they always seem to be missing something. No VGA, no analog audio in, something. Usually doesn't have a VGA input, which I don't understand. You're charging hundreds of dollars suggested retail and have no VGA input?

Let's say I forget about the VGA input. Is there a SCART to HDMI converter that will keep the 4:3 aspect ratio?

I guess an alternative is I could try this Lenkeng LKV391 all in one job, that takes SCART, VGA, composite, etc. and outputs HDMI w/ audio on the HDMI out. Should I be concerned that the 240p SCART won't work? Again, I'm fine with imperfections, most is better than my current situation, which is a black screen!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LKV391-ALL-VIDEO-to-HDMI-Scaler-Switch-Ultimate-Home-Theatre-Switcher-/110873339314?pt=AU_HomeTheatreSystems&hash=item19d090e5b2
post #12 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried to review the LKV391, but it was so bad in terms of picture quality, that it didn't even bother to add it to my review line up.

FYI: Scart is just a connector, which can carry composite video, s-video or RGB video. Many video processors accept RGB through a different kind of connector (e.g. 4x BNC or 4x RCA). As long as you keep looking for a physical scart connector, you'll only come up with european processors (Cinemateq) or china stuff.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes I'll avoid that Lenkeng. I do know SCART can be adapted to BNC or RCA, but almost every converter is component only not RGB. Although finding those cables is not very easy. BNC are out there. Most of the cheap converters have component YPbPr only. Here's a good example, the Gefen Pro, it takes component (doesn't help me) and DVI in, also doesn't help me. No RGB that I can see. I mean, SCART and component are not the same thing right? Going from SCART to VGA seems very difficult as well in finding cables that do that.

Again I am trying to avoid paying $400-500 on an upscaler. It's simply not necessary for my situation. I just want something that will convert RGB to HDMI, since my TV has too many problems via component. And keeps aspect 4:3. The only converters you have reviewed that do that, and cost less than $100, were by Lenkeng, and they do not retain 4:3? Does one of those exist?? I've looked for DVDO, and again the problem with those is the lack of audio input. Otherwise they are so expensive I'd rather just buy the XRGB 3 or Mini. Anything over $150, I am not buying, I'd just as soon pay the money for the XRGB.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I am looking for same solutions , My Sat box has RGB Scart and My TV only has : composite | componenet | HDMI

I found there is a new model fpor LENKANG that say something about 4:3 and 16:9 : LKV362A
http://www.dreamboxshops.co.uk/HDMI/LKV362A.htm

I would like to get the most picture quality of the Satbox but not streach everything to 16:9

Should I get better quality and aspect ratio compatibilty if I go Scart to Component instead of HDMI ?
post #15 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersvcd View Post

Hi

I am looking for same solutions , My Sat box has RGB Scart and My TV only has : composite | componenet | HDMI

I found there is a new model fpor LENKANG that say something about 4:3 and 16:9 : LKV362A
http://www.dreamboxshops.co.uk/HDMI/LKV362A.htm

I would like to get the most picture quality of the Satbox but not streach everything to 16:9

Should I get better quality and aspect ratio compatibilty if I go Scart to Component instead of HDMI ?

The device seems to include all of the necessary specs to make it work for your situation. However, to be sure this will work for the satellite provider you use I would contact the seller directly. It may require a plug adapter.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks

some time after I also found this device
That seems to be of better quality and features ,
What is your opinion ?

http://www.coosis.com/products-page/hd-universal/scart-composite-rca-w-s-video-to-hdmi-080-ultimate-features/
post #17 of 17 Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Got the new Lenkeng LKV362A a few days ago and while picture quality itself isn't as bad as expected and it plays nicely with old videogame systems, I don't see any way preserve the 4:3 ratio of the source. Everything I connected got scaled to 720p or 1080p in fullscreen 16:9.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page