HDMI switch with S-Video or composite and Toslink Outs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm not sure where to post this question, so I hope this will be ok.

I currently have an older CRT TV that has two input sections, each containing composite and S-Video inputs. No HDMI, etc. I also have an A/V receiver (RCA RT2250) without HDMI. It has Tosllink and coaxial connections for digital audio input.

What I need to do is to be able to connect newer devices (Blu Ray, Sat receiver, Roku, etc.) that have HDMI out (and possibly Toslink as well) to a switcher that can output video in S-Video (or at least a good composite) and audio as digital, capable of Dolby 5.1.

On a related note about picture quality, I have tried an HDMI to S-Video converter, but the picture was too dark, and not very clear. a $45 box from Amazon. I got that because I had order the Hopper from Dish Network. The picture was not good, so I tried the composite video output from the Hopper. It is surprisingly good, it seems, perhaps as good as my older sat. receiver was with the S-Video.

So, any suggestions for an HDMI switcher that has a digital audio out and strong, clear video in either S-Video or composite? I have not been able to find one.

My option may come to getting a straight HDMI switcher with digital audio out, and an HDMI to S-Video (or composite) converter for the video portion. But I would need one that provides a good, bright picture.

Thanks very much.
Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
this is a known issue with the cheap converters: there are some converters that work well: I bought 2 of these and can vouch for them (now sitting in my attic unused)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NI7WZU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but you many have other issues: on many set top boxes, when you use HDMI out and the box is set for 1080i, it disables both the composite and S Video out because of copy protection rules

what most folks do for the set top boxes is use the component video out (which is often on simultaneously with HDMI out) and a converter to S video or composite
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

The device you linked to seems to convert analog to digital. I need to go the other way. I need HDMI sources to go to my analog TV and A/V receiver.

Thanks.
Clay
post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post

Hi,

The device you linked to seems to convert analog to digital. I need to go the other way. I need HDMI sources to go to my analog TV and A/V receiver.

Thanks.
Clay

there eis none as HDMI has HDCP and will not allow that to go into a non HDCP display.

the only route I think will take some work. you'll need two devices one to deal with HDCP which is the Moome Ext HD

http://www.moomecard.com

http://www.moomecard.com/images/stories/moome/EXT-FULLHD/ext_fhd%20v3_20101230.pdf

then you will need a VGA to S video converter to go from the moome to the TV.

something like this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=4724&CAWELAID=1329449492&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIq4jrSZ5LUCFckx4AodgCYAIw

A simple adaptor will not work so the cheap 2 dollar cable is out.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page