New Lumagen Radiance Video Processor (Radiance 2021) coming out - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I'm leaning toward Chromapure for user friendliness.

While the author (Tom) knows his stuff when it comes to video calibrations, and is very responsive with tech support, I don't find Chromapure "user friendly" at all.

But I haven't used the alternatives (Calman or LightSpace).

I second the suggestion of LightSpace HCL. If that were available when I bought, I probably would have chosen it. It seems to be the more professional approach, and I like its end-to-end capability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

(Does anyone know if the current Lumagen VPs that output 4K will be upgradable later to being able to take in native 4K sources?)

Decisions, decisions...

Mike Garrett and Jim from Lumagen have stated that the current 4k unit will be upgrade-able to a 4k in/out unit. Sounds like its more of a trade in than a simple upgrade, though. Hardware changes, etc. They have alluded to a "good price" for the upgrade. Would be nice if we could get something nailed down now to spur the adoption. I am on the fence myself about buying or waiting. They certainly do have a great track record of adding terrific features in firmware for free, though, so I would fall on the side of trusting them that the upgrade would be very reasonable. But again, I haven't pulled the trigger yet due to lack of full info, which, to be fair, they probably do not know themselves at this point.
post #153 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Thanks again for the replies.

I'm glad to hear that about the 4K upgrade, hifiaudio2. That might influence my decision.

ETA: Would the upgrade to future 4K input only be offered for the current 4K units (2041) or would it also apply to non-4K units like the 2021 as well?
post #154 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
From what I have read Lumagen is going to offer a trade-in offer for the 20XX models when the 4K in and out models come out. You can check out what Lumagen is giving for trade in value for there other models on the 20XX model.
The highest trade in allowance is $850 usd.

If you already have a Mini 3D or a triplet pattern generator and what to do large (17^3) LUT cubes you would imo be better off just getting a eecolor box for about $650.

ss
post #155 of 160 Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks sillysally (where else but on the internet would I be writing such a thing?)

BTW, for Lumagen owners here:

I'd be replacing my Denon DVP-602CI video processor with a Lumagen. One thing the Denon was renouned for, and the main reason I bought it, is it's noise-reduction. It has purportedly of the best, if not the best noise-reduction capabilities out there in terms of reducing noise without loosing sharpness on either HD or SD content.

How are the Lumagens for noise reduction (mosquito etc)? And does anyone happen to know how it compares to the Denon for that feature?

Thanks,
post #156 of 160 Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am looking to buy a Lumagen 2041 because of the 4k upscale and the integrated Darbee. I am going to buy the new Sony VW500 and this processor will be a great match. My only concern is the 4k input. I know their will be a new 4k input/output Lumagen in a near future and want to know if it has been confirm that the 2041 will be upgradable for the new model?
post #157 of 160 Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

I am looking to buy a Lumagen 2041 because of the 4k upscale and the integrated Darbee. I am going to buy the new Sony VW500 and this processor will be a great match. My only concern is the 4k input. I know their will be a new 4k input/output Lumagen in a near future and want to know if it has been confirm that the 2041 will be upgradable for the new model?

Ask Lumagen.
post #158 of 160 Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just asking my question again:

Does anyone use any noise reduction settings on their Lumagen and how does it perform?

I was watching Star Trek OS on Blu-Ray last night and it was nice to be able to use my Denon VP's noise reduction on "low" which took away just the right amount of noise without making the image any softer.
I'm hoping for similar performance from Lumagen NR processing.

Anyone?
post #159 of 160 Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Just asking my question again:

Does anyone use any noise reduction settings on their Lumagen and how does it perform?

I was watching Star Trek OS on Blu-Ray last night and it was nice to be able to use my Denon VP's noise reduction on "low" which took away just the right amount of noise without making the image any softer.
I'm hoping for similar performance from Lumagen NR processing.

Anyone?

I only use them on 576i PAL from UK series I import never on BD. For 576i they can help considerably but it's a trial and error process to see which combination is most effective. With a series finding the "sweet spot" is worth the effort but I don't put forth the effort for individual DVD movies unless the PQ is really bad.
post #160 of 160 Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Can't quite decide which way to go with Lumagen at the moment. The mini-3D doesn't have enough inputs for me (I have Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Apple TV, Cable Box...and an older AV receiver that doesn't do 3D passthrough).

Decisions, decisions...

I had the same dilemma and found a solution with the Mini-3D.

I run my CATV box, Xbox, and Apple TV into my Denon receiver (which does not have 3D passthrough) and then the Denon outputs to Input 1 of my Mini-3d and passes up to the projector. I have the Denon set to source direct so there is minimal signal processing done in the receiver. I figure the Mini cleans up anything introduced by the receiver anyway--and none of these sources is pristine to begin with, IMO.

My Oppo BDP 103 has two HDMI outputs which can work in split mode. One output goes to the Denon for sound and the second goes directly to Input 2 of the Mini-3D and up to the projector--bypassing the receiver, and allowing a 3D signal to go up the chain. For other DVD players you could output the audio via digital output to the receiver and the HDMI to the Mini.

To play CATV, XBOX, or Apple TV, just set the appropriate input on the receiver and Input 1 on the Mini. To play a DVD, Blu-Ray, or 3D Blu-Ray, set the receiver to DVD and the mini to input 2.

You can configure the Mini to treat input 1 and input 2 differently (with different scaling, CMS, etc.) and you can configure both inputs to treat each incoming signal (480i, 1080p, etc) differently. You can even have it recognize a 3D signal and set a different calibration for that signal.

With a programmable remote to handle the Mini input switching and the receiver switching it's really easy.

BTW for me, the addition of ChromaPure and a good meter was a game changer. Being able to calibrate different gammas, store them in different memories, and then switch back and forth on the fly is very cool. And being able to calibrate my projector (and all future projectors) any time I want to is money well spent. I spent all day Sunday in the theater with the lights off tweaking my system. My definition of a good day.

Of course that 729 point CMS in the 20XX boxes is really tempting...
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page