Processor that correctly converts 576p50, 1080p50 to 1080p60 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Need help from experts here to recommend a processor that can correctly convert 576p50 and 1080p50 into 1080p60. My VT50 doesn't accept 1080p50 natively and I have fair amount of content in 1080p50 and 576p50 720p50 that I watch regularly. My old LCD TV handled p50 natively but now I cannot watch it. My search here so far brings up that Edge does not correctly handles 50 to 60 conversion. Are their any other processors that are best at rate conversion without judder and/or soap opera effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 77
IMHO you will not find what you are looking for: Converting 60Hz to 50Hz will result in judder whatever you do. FWIW I have a Lumagen and it can't do it either (or rather it can do it, but you still get judder). There is no processor with frame creation, though again I doubt this would help either.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Years ago, when LCDs and Plasma became affordable, there were sets (here in Europe) which did only accept their native resolution through VGA (and thus in 60Hz).

Living here in Europe, I used 50 to 60Hz conversion for years and in my opinion it's hardly worse compared to what you Americans are used to when you watch 24p movies in 60Hz (like movies on TV). This comes as no suprise, since converting 50Hz to 60Hz is just a difference cadence, but in it's nature quite similar to the 3:2 pulldown used to convert 24p to 60Hz.

This said, I think you can very well live with the conversion if 50Hz material is not EXLUSIVELY what you watch. Where did you read that the Edge fails in that regard ? I'm asking because I used earlier DVDO processors to do this exact conversion and it was fine (or, let's say, as good as it gets).
post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 640
I think you'll find more value in buying an OPPO Blu-ray player, which can do these conversions internally, rather than an expensive outboard processor.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I should have asked more precisely, which proc produces least "overprocessed" picture on conversion? 24 judder is visible to me but it is nothing in comparison to the missed frame every few seconds when my Popcorn A300 does the conversion.
Also I watch my materials via media players like Popcorn and dedicated BD player will not serve well. Thus I am looking for a good proc to connect to my VT50. It is a shame that VT50 does not process 50 natively in US models.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Have you tried the motion smoother on the Panny? Non-50Hz support is the MAIN reason I avoided the Panny 5-6 years ago.

Now with the Pioneer Kuro gone I'd still opt for a TV that supports 50Hz like Samsung rather than a Panny. Anything other than the Edge will cost >>$1k and it doesn't quite make sense when all it's doing here is to do something that should have been part of the TV's core function in the first place.

I've tried 50-60Hz conversion on the Edge, a sub-$100 Walmart BDP and Pioneer BDP-140 (little over $100) and they all do a very respectable job. How noticeable is the judder depends on the amount of motion in the content to a large extent. In any case 50-60Hz conversion should not drop frames like you say the Popcorn does.

BD players now play a lot of files via USB so it depends what types of files you have. What's little known is the US Sony BDPs won't play 50i DVDs and BDs but will play 50i files and output as 60i.

Don't forget computers usually convert 50 to 60Hz also.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Recently imported a Hisense Pulse (Google TV) and to my frustration, it converts everything it is fed to 1080p60. That may however work in your favour if the drops/judder are of an acceptable level for you.

At $99 for a device with HDMI In and Out, you won't find cheaper and there are other options like the Sony box which will pass through 24p correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page