Teranex 2D review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
In summary I am a happy camper. The most visible improvement to me over the VP50pro is the lack of aliasing in the upconversion. There is a post on the Black Magic forum where the VP50pro was said to be sharper. I don’t see that but again I pre-enhance on the SD side and I also have a Darbee on the output. I will say the enhancement facilities in the Teranex are limited.

Pros:
Very good upconversion. Beats the DVDO VP50pro IMO, have not compared to a newer Lumagen. This is what the Teranex product line is known for.

Very good cadence repair capabilities. Much faster detection and smooth real time fix than the VP50pro.

Fully supports HD PsF formats.

Full Proc amp built in with limited RY/BY color correction.

Hue control works on all formats, not just composite.

Easy setup due to many direct access front panel buttons as well as a small GUI screen built in with minimal menu levels.

Has the UltraScope built in via an Apple Thunderbolt connection. This however requires a souped up Win7/64 PC with a gaming grade graphics card at 1920x1080/1200 to display the scope.

Unit can dump uncompressed HD and SD to disk as well as playback via the Thunderbolt connection. Of course it’s up to the user to have fast and deep enough storage to make this practical.

Embedded audio is supported in both SDI and HDMI.

No fans, only 6 inches deep in the rack. Reasonable heat generation.

This is a broadcast quality unit with most of the handles and features one would need.

Software / firmware is user upgradable. I believe however the scaler core is an ASIC and not upgradable like the Lumagen is.

Killer price point.

Cons:
No HDMI HDCP support. I verified that and it’s a fact.

Lot’s of lights on the front panel – not good for inside an HT room.

No input switching. Must be done externally.

Enhancement facilities are very basic - a simple sharpness control that appears to be an HF peaking filter not an edge enhancer.

Only 4 audio channels supported in analog. (8 with AES or SDI/HDMI embedded video)

Long 20 second delay when switching modes.

No external remote capabilities – and no IR either. SDK is supposed to be coming but this still will not be an average DIY job. Does have RS232, Ethernet, and USB ports so the hardware is there for remote control.

Basically just a very good upconverter for SD sources. Some value as a good 1080i deinterlacer as well but if you don't have meny legacy SD sources, you really don't need a unit like this.

Summary:
This is not an HT friendly unit at all. Honestly the cons far outweigh the conversion quality benefits in a typical HT.

But for a "geek" HT like mine, it's a great processor. I'll be keeping it.

Glimmie's HT Processor History:
Miranda Quartet
Dscaler
Key Digital Leeza
Lumagen HDQ
DVDO VP50pro
Teranex 2D

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/

Note: I do use a legacy Digital Vision DVNR in front of the Teranex for SD sources via SDI. I also use a broadcast decoder for composite sources. This thing really cleans up the SD video so my evaluation is perhaps a bit skewed due to this pre-processor. However I also used this in front of my previous processors as well so my comparison still has some validity.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm interested in the 3D processor when it comes out. Any plans to test this one?
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

I'm interested in the 3D processor when it comes out. Any plans to test this one?

Sorry, I'm not a 3D fan but I'm sure someone here will get one.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the impressions! A few questions if you don't mind:

Do you know (or can you test) if the Teranex accepts 480p from an outside source for upscaling ? I was somehow perplexed when the specs at one point only named 480i, 720p and 1080i.

Since you say no remote capabilities - can't you unit already be controlled through LAN and a web interface ? I thought this was a give, since the Teranex sold before this version all had a web interface ?

Can the unit do cadence conversion on progressive sources ? 720p60 to 1080p24 (and 480p60 to 1080p24 - see 1st question) ?

Anything to say about analogue processing quality for the vintage SD fans among us ?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and one more: do you know if the Teranex handles non-broadcast refresh rates ? What would happen if I connected a 1080p60 output from a HTPC (instead of a HW-clocked 59.94Hz signal). Does the output of the Teranex get framelocked to the input or are the 60Hz converted to 59.94Hz ?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd love to see an image or two of laserdisc via the Teranex.
I am archiving some laserdiscs and have been unhappy with various processors so far. Especially cadence detection, I would love to not have to IVTC the footage after capturing it.
How is the comb filter in the Teranex? Is it possible to run LD straight in via composite and get a good result?

DON'T feed the troll.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The comb filters on other BMD devices are basically non-existent, so I don't think that the Teranex can offer anything in this regard.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Hi Glimie,

The Gui screen is no longer an image monitor, correct?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It looked like it was on the demo I saw, but that wasn't the final model.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It is on the vc-100 and it does come in very handy when doing 2d to 3d conversion, however it appears to be absent now.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Hi Glimie,

The Gui screen is no longer an image monitor, correct?

At least on the 2D model, the GUI screen doubles as a video monitor. You can look at both input and output. Not sure about the 3D model. I don't see a reason why they couldn't offer the ability to look at either stream and even the composite 3D. 3D might not work to well though in a 2in screen?

Glimmie's HT Page

post #12 of 12 Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you offer any comparison of SD upscaling of the new TeraNex 2D to the HQV processors that were used in HT video processors from several years back? I have 4 of them and one of them even has HD-SDI input (my JVC HR-1080 PRO). I have acquired a lot of equipment both Broadcast and home theater going all out to try and make family camcorder VHS, SVHS, Hi8 & DV footage look the absolute best that it can at 1080p. Is there any specifc reason you chose the new 2d over a Xantus? I was considering a Digital Vision DVNR but without experience in the software/controller and which boards to look for, I think I would be in over my head. I have a Snell & Wilcox NRS30 and a Darblet DVP5000. Thanks. Monty
Reply Video Processors