Downscaling from 1080p to 720p cheaply ... sharing a HDMI out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Ok I inherited a 720p tv for my office, finally I have a large screen in there. I have a laptop with a hdmi out, this runs my WUXGA (1920x1200) monitor.

I thought I'd like to share this hdmi out between the two screens (720p and WUXGA), but not at the same time, so I can switch between monitor for work or tv for iplayer/videos. I can do this by swapping hdmi cables to my laptop of course, but it's a faff and the hdmi port will eventually break.

To this end I bought a Cablesson HDMI splitter, which doesn't do what I need (it's obvious to me now). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Nendindo-Displays/dp/B0042KY0GY

I thought by switching one screen off, then the other on, my laptop would re-handshake which screen / res to display. It appears to hold onto the old resolution, or just for having the tv plugged in and turned off it still aims at 720p on my monitor.

So work arounds are I thought ...

Install a switch that 'turns off/disconnects' the hdmi for my tv, effectively unplugging it - I don't think such a thing exists.

Buy a nice big active processor - cheaper to buy another screen/laptop/system really.

Run a HDMI to AV converter on the monitor HDMI so taking the signal and scaling it to 420p / analogue - fairly cheap option but now I'm at 420p instead of 720p.

This could be a passive cable job for about £5 or something active like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-HDMI-to-AV-CVBS-RCA-Video-Composite-Converter-TV-PS3-DVD-Xbox-Blu-Ray-SKY-HD-/110962406416?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19d5dff410

Now I don't want to buy it and find the handshaking between this and my laptop lands me at low res, I want it to be ignored and have the laptop through the splitter only 'see' the monitor (WUXGA), output that, and then downscale to my tv.

Obviously one problem with this plan is it's 420p ...

If anyone has a working equivalent of this or equipment to test the plan that would be greatly appreciated. I can see myself trying lots of cables at £20 a go just to get no where smile.gif

Cheers

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
There are HDMI devices available can hide the TV's EDID from the computer, so the TV would have to do the downscaling. Whether the TV can handle 1920x1200 is another matter.

Gefen's HDMI Detective Plus seems to be quite popular. There are others.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

Selden
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page