Convert/Upscale Scart SD to Component 480p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me if there is a reasonable cost solution to take the scart SD output from a satellite receiver then convert it to component video plus L/R audio and upscale it to 480p? If it is possible to go to higher resolution such as 720p or 1080i then all the better.

Apologies if it is a newby question, video processing is a whole new world for me. In stating "reasonable cost", I would like to keep the cost below $250 USD if that is possible, 2nd user gear considered.

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Can you provide the specific satellite receiver model?

SCART is a European connection standard, so the standard definition provided by equipment which uses it would typically be 576i PAL or SECAM, not the 480i used by NTSC.

Selden
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Selden,

Thank you for your reply.

It would either be a Dreambox dm800se satellite receiver or a Technomate TM-5402 satellite receiver which would probably be configured to output a PAL signal?

Thinking a bit more about this, it would be ideal if I could convert to component with L/R audio and upscale to 720p or 1080i. If it is of any relevance, after conversion and upscale, the next step for the A/V signal is to be captured by a Viewcast Osprey 240e capture card in a PC followed by encoding via Wirecast.

yes she does !
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

A quick skim of the 240e's manual didn't locate any mention of support for HD resolutions, only for standard NTSC, PAL and SECAM analog video signals. (It does include its own interlaced-to-progressive conversion, though.) In other words, an external scaler can't be used on the incoming video. Also, whatever display you use to view the recorded video will include its own up-scaling features. All modern digital displays (whether they're TVs, projectors or computer displays) scale the incoming video signal to match the physical screen resolution.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong pictures, the receivers you mention include RCA video connectors, not just SCART, so you wouldn't need a connector conversion either.

Selden
post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Unless I'm looking at the wrong pictures, the receivers you mention include RCA video connectors, not just SCART, so you wouldn't need a connector conversion either.

Selden,

Thank you for your additional feedback.

The dreambox dm800se only comes with scart and HDMI outputs, there are no RCA and it was the scart output that is available.

The Osprey 240e accepts a component signal and the breakout cable I have for use with the card is the original Viewcast component breakout cable. The incoming signal for the Osprey 240e needs to be component, composite from RCA's will not function correctly. Thinking about this in more depth, I may need to change the capture card to an HD capable card, should have thought of that earlier.

The evolving requirement is now to upscale an SD output from a satellite receiver to 720p or 1080o so that it can be accepted by an HD capable capture card such. Even though the two satellite receivers I listed are HD capable, the specific signal I wish to use is an SD signal.

Sorry for the evolving requirements, my newbie lack of knowledge is causing the need to change as I am understanding the process a little better.

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you considered just getting a SCART breakout cable? i.e. one with a SCART connector at one end and individual connectors for each of the signals at the other end?

Part of my confusion has been that the model numbers you provided for the receivers are for their non HD versions. The HD versions of those receivers include HD in the model number. Most HD boxes include an internal scaler so you can select a fixed output resolution. I haven't read the manuals for those receivers, but my understanding is that SCART cables can carry RGB, component, composite and s-video signals. That's why they have so many pins. Which signals actually are present is determined by the source devcie.

Selden
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Selden,

Sorry for the lack of information about the satellite receivers, it is the Technomate 5402 HD receiver and the Dreambox dm800se HD receiver that I have, my error, apologies. However, even though they are HD capable, I am not 100% sure if these receivers will internally upscale a satellite transmission broadcast in SD to 720p or 1080i?

If the receivers will internally upscale then I do not need an external upscaler, if there is no internal upscaling then obviously I need an external upscaler. I do have some other non HD satellite receivers that I may wish to use for this at some future point so any recommendation for an external upscaler would be useful.

Moving on to the last part of the process, it sounds as though I need a video capture card that is capable of accepting 720p or 1080i whereas my current card, the Osprey 240e is not capable of this. Are there any reasonably priced options available for a new or 2nd user video capture card that will meet my requirements, I was thinking of the BlackMagic series as these seem lower cost than the Viewcast Osprey series with HD functionality?

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick look at the manuals for the two satellite receivers did not uncover any output resolution settings. Presumably they both output video signals at whatever resolution they receive. Both provide composite and RGB video in the SCART connector, although the Technomate has separate component video connections.

Both units have an HDMI output. Have you considered using that for the video capture output?

Blackmagick Design does seem to have cost-effective video capture cards (like the Intensity Pro) which can handle HDMI.
As best I can tell, they wouldn't need an external scaler. However, I was surprised to see they explicitly don't support Dell computers. They also say they're the first at doing some things, so I'd be a little wary of them: they might be rather buggy. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackmagic-Design-BINTSPRO-INTENSITY-PRO/dp/B001CN9GEA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366147701&sr=8-2&keywords=black+magic+capture+card

I have to admit that I haven't done any serious investigation of video capture for quite a few years -- my interests have been elsewhere. I suspect you'll get more useful help in the HTPC forum. Video capture and redistribution should be frequent topics there.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

Selden
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

...Both units have an HDMI output. Have you considered using that for the video capture output?...

...I suspect you'll get more useful help in the HTPC forum. Video capture and redistribution should be frequent topics there.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

Selden,

Thank you for bearing with me so far and for helping with my newbie questions.

The hdmi outputs of the receivers are already used for other purposes hence my wish to use the scart or component outputs.

My original thoughts when posting the topic were that I needed an external upscaler hence my choice of the video processor forum. I could probably still do with one of these for use with my older legacy SD satellite receivers.

Rgds
Dushy

yes she does !
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
If the broadcast signal is SD there is no distinct advantage upscaling it with consumer equipment before capturing and storing because you can upscale it during playback. It takes more storage space for HD and if you only capture it as SD there will be better scalers in the future. With pro equipment it might be different. With HD output using modern standalone vps you have to deal with HDMI and HDCP and so is the capture side.

EDIT
1. The last sentence above was already dealt with here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467920/is-video-processor-required-to-capture-hdmi-output-via-pc-capture-card
2. Scart is SD only.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page