Using Lumagen XE3d for Laserdisc, can't get it to fill screen properly =( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got a Lumagen XE3d, i bought it specifically to use as an HDMI switcher and to be able to watch Laserdiscs on my projector.

No matter how I try, I can't get the Star Wars THX LD to fill the screen properly.

Any ideas?

Its 2.35:1, and therefore should fill all my 2.40 screen execept a bit on the sides, but I can't get it to fill top to bottom.

With or w/o anamorphic lens. Any ideas?

thanks a ton!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
TK Doom:

Since you just purchased a used unit, the first step is to do a factory reset (MENU 0999, or in the Save Menu). Then do a Save (Menu up-arrow OK OK OK) to make the default settings permanent. Use output for audio to your receiver, and output for video to the display.

---

With a 2.35 (or even a 2.4) screen I would suggest you select 2.35 as the output aspect ratio in the Output Style menu for the selected output configuration. If you have the lens on a sled so you need both 16:9 and 2.35, then you would need to use the "Output per input aspect" option in that menu.

We have a number of Tech Tips you should read to help you understand setting up the Radiance. These are at http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals. TechTip 3, 7, and 16 all have information on setting up a projection system with an anamorphic lens. Remember that after any changes, if you want those changes to be permanent you need to do a Save.

For SD letter box material, such as is on a laser-disc, you select the input aspect as LBOX. This is specifically for 16:9 source in letter box format. When you press LBOX, if the source is a 16:9 letter box source format, you would fill the height (if the output aspect is 2.35). For a 2.35 letter box source, you would also need to zoom in using the up-arrow, so the 2.35 letter box source fills the screen.

One other note on SD 2.35 letterbox: The source material for 2.35 letter-box has only 272 lines of active source, and on laser disc, this is generally interlace source. SD interlace can be film source such as is on many DVDs, but historically I found that the laser discs I looked at (other than a few CAV discs) were not progressive with pull-down, but true interlace. This further reduces the vertical resolution. So for interlaced laser discs the true vertical resolution is less than half that of a "film encoded" DVD even if that DVD is encoded on the disc as interlace. This along with the limitation of the laser disc format will limit the quality of the up-sampled image. You can improve the image using the noise reduction and edge enhancement features in the Radiance input menu.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page