Connecting DVDO Edge Output To BMD Decklink HD ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Is it possible to connect the output from a DVDO Edge to a Blackmagic Decklink HD card using the HDMI ports on the DVDO and the Decklink?

I have tried to get this to work at various resolutions and cannot get a signal captured by the Decklink. I am checking for a signal using either Media Express or Wirecast but neither program is showing a signal from the Decklink.

The DVDO Edge is outputting OK from its HDMI port as I can view the signal on a TV.

Any advice most appreciated.

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushy Squirt View Post

Hi,

Is it possible to connect the output from a DVDO Edge to a Blackmagic Decklink HD card using the HDMI ports on the DVDO and the Decklink?

I have tried to get this to work at various resolutions and cannot get a signal captured by the Decklink. I am checking for a signal using either Media Express or Wirecast but neither program is showing a signal from the Decklink.

The DVDO Edge is outputting OK from its HDMI port as I can view the signal on a TV.

Any advice most appreciated.

Thx
Dushy

What material are you trying to ingest? BluRay, premium cable or satellite channel? The Black Magic products are not HDCP compliant. Especially this product. You can't get a letigimate product that will take encrypted content and put it in an unprotected wrapper such as SDI or an open file.

Also note that some consumer products enable HDCP on their outputs all the time. Even though there are many scenarios where the HDCP could be legally turned off, such as a VHS upconversion. It's often easier for the HDMI product to just keep HDCP on continuously thus avoiding any compliance issues.

Check with DVDO to see how they deal with HDCP output with non HDCP inputs.

Note that HDCP has no use or needs within professional production systems and that's the market BMD sells to. It's not that they couldn't support HDCP, there is just not market need for them and such support would only increase the cost and support headaches of their HDMI products..

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Glimmie,

Thank you for the reply.

The material is from a satellite raw feed rather than a consumer service channel so it is not encrypted. However, I take your point about the HDCP possibly being applied all the time to the HDMI output. I can get the raw feed directly into a Viewcast Osprey capture card at SD resolution with component video inputs but I thought that I would try to upscale to HD using the DVDO Edge and input the HD content into the Decklink card via HDMI.

Unfortunately, the only video processor I have is the DVDO Edge with HDMI output only, an alternative VP with either SDI HD output or component HD output might be a better option if there are any suitable VP candidates for my limited budget, possibly an older model?

Also, I might try an HDFury in the line just to get rid of the HDCP issue if it is present.

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I like to recommend DVDO processors as a capture interfaces in addition to BMC cards.

It's been some time since I used an Edge, but I think you can at least disable HDCP on the output when it's not required. You can try and capture some of the Edge's internal patterns to make sure it's not a problem with your settings. RGB vs. YCbCr can also be a problem if the BMD isn't set to the correct format.

The HDFury units convert to analogue. Works fine on the BMDs, but it's problematic when you want to capture in 1080p24. This monoprice box* gets rid of your HDCP problems and is confirmed to work fine on BMD cards (unless they changed something over the past months) (*Monoprice article ID 5369)
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushy Squirt View Post

Glimmie,

Thank you for the reply.

The material is from a satellite raw feed rather than a consumer service channel so it is not encrypted. However, I take your point about the HDCP possibly being applied all the time to the HDMI output. I can get the raw feed directly into a Viewcast Osprey capture card at SD resolution with component video inputs but I thought that I would try to upscale to HD using the DVDO Edge and input the HD content into the Decklink card via HDMI.

Unfortunately, the only video processor I have is the DVDO Edge with HDMI output only, an alternative VP with either SDI HD output or component HD output might be a better option if there are any suitable VP candidates for my limited budget, possibly an older model?

Also, I might try an HDFury in the line just to get rid of the HDCP issue if it is present.

Thx
Dushy

Another $2K solution is the new Teranex by BMD. That too does not support HDCP but should work here. The Teranex also does direct ingest through Thunderbolt.

I do remember that my old VP50pro did have an HDCP on/off at least in the RS232 protocol. Of course that didn't mean you could turn it off for protected content.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I have checked the menu in the DVDO Edge and the best I can get is the "Auto" setting which applies HDCP if it is present but does not apply if absent. The only other option in the DVDO Edge was apply HDCP to all content.

I am on a restricted budget as it is more home user/hobby level than professional/commercial level so unfortunately the $2K Teranex option is beyond my means.

Is there a link available to the Monoprice box, if it is confirmed OK with BMD cards I will take a look at it?

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If you enter 5369 into the monoprice search field and hit return, you get it.

But as said, try recording the internal patterns first. With HDCP set to auto they're certainly unprotected. Try switching the output color space if you have problems. And remember that the BMD cards can't record 1080p60, just 720p60, 1080i60 and 1080p24.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Fudoh,

Thank you for the information about the monoprice product.

There seems to be an alternative product that strips out the HDCP and uses HDMI input and HDMI output. There are quite a number of people who purchased this alternative product and state it works OK.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers/page9

There is a two port HDMI output version and a 4 port HDMI output version that supposedly strips out HDCP at resolutions up to 1080p at much cheaper cost than the HDFury which only has component outputs. Although the unit is manufactured in China there seems to be global distribution via eBay and Amazon and various web sites.

Going back to the DVDO Edge and the Decklink HD card, as a starting point, I will check it with the test patterns generated internally by the DVDO Edge. If I get pictures into the Decklink from the test patterns I will then move on to trying out a HDCP stripped signal to see how that goes.

Many thanks for your help. I will report back once I have completed testing.

Thx
Dushy

yes she does !
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

If you enter 5369 into the monoprice search field and hit return, you get it.

But as said, try recording the internal patterns first. With HDCP set to auto they're certainly unprotected. Try switching the output color space if you have problems. And remember that the BMD cards can't record 1080p60, just 720p60, 1080i60 and 1080p24.

The 5369 is a DVI & SPDIF to HDMI converter. How does that strip HDCP? Do you feed the HDMI into it via a simple passive adapter and the HDNI comes out HDCP free? Does it carry the HDMI audio through as DVI does not support audio?

Glimmie's HT Page

post #10 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

1st question: yes, 2nd question: no (the DVI input does not forward audio).
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page