Continuous lines on screen using PS2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guys, had a hard time trying to find the right place to put this, hope it's ok to post here.

Just today after using my PS2 slim, using a component cable, in dark scenes, you can see faint kind of scan lines going downwards. I have my PS2 and component cable going through my receiver (Denon AVR 2313) and output through HDMI. At first I thight it could be a deinteralcing problem in the receiver, but I shouldn't think so, I have only had it for two months. And it can't be the scaling, so I'm kinda thinking maybe it's the Analog To Digital converter causing this?, seeing as I'm having output through HDMI?

I have tried setting my PS3 to 1080i through HDMI and no scan lines were there. Any ideas what could be going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The PS2's component signal has serious problems with noise or remaining DC offsets in the signal. Try pulling part of the signal. (Pb and/or Pr and just leave the luminance signal connected to see if the lines are actually there without the color channels being connected. I've seen similar on various processors and on some it helped to kill the ground connection on the color channels, while keeping just the luminance ground connected.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh right, I'll give that a try, I'll post back to say if it fixed anything.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Right. Well I tried your suggestion and it made a little bit of a difference, still some slight lines going upwards. I also decided to plug the component cables directly into a different TV, and it cured the problem. Also setting my receiver to "Game" seemed to help a little. I know for a fact that the PS2 games that are progressive have no lines going upwards or downwards at all, I tested that so I'd imagine the Wii would have no problems.

Could it be that the receiver has a bad deinterlacer and the TV has the better one, maybe something to do with the ADC. I will also try out my Original Xbox with my receiver and see if the lines are still there.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
eventually comes down to the A/D conversion stage and how sensitive it is to noise or DC offsets. I used ordered a component filter (which uses caps in line with the signals to filter the any remaining DC offset). I'll test this soon with a processor quite sensitive to noise. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, be interesting to read what you find. I'll post anyway that I tried out my Original Xbox with component cables, no weird scan lines around the screen, perfectly clear, and the same goes for the Wii. I even had a try at the PS3 with the componenet cables, the same thing happens with the faint scan lines in the screen, but only with the lowest of resolutions. I could see them at 576i and 576p. The other resolutions were clean.