Connecting AppleTV to old TV through Yamaha RX-V659 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, thanks in advance to any advice you can provide.

I want to be able to hook up my AppleTV (3rd Gen) to an older HDTV. Let me explain my set-up so you know my limitations. It's a Mitsubishi Proj TV Diamond Deries (2004 maybe?), and it does support 1080p. However it is built into the wall and I only have access to a cabinet that holds the Directv DVR, a VHS player, a DVD player, and a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver. Therefore, I can only hook up the AppleTV by going through another receiver. What's my best option? Here is my thinking.

Option 1: Hook up AppleTV to Line-In 2 of Sony VHS player using ViewHD HDMI to Composite Converter (Not HD, not ideal)

This is similar to how I used to hook up my old MacBook through a DVI to Composite adapter. Here is the converter on Amazon. People have reported success in hooking up an AppleTV. However, this is not ideal since it's poor video quality.

Option 2: Hook up AppleTV to Component input on Yamaha RX-V659 using a HDMI to Component converter (ideal? Would it be HD? Could this work?)

As stated before, I can't access the TV directly. I only have access to these receivers. Everything goes through the Yamaha receiver, including the DirecTV HD DVR. My hypothesis is that I can use one of the Component inputs to get the AppleTV into the TV with an HD signal. Then I could use a Toslink cable to transfer the audio. Here is what the back of the receiver looks like:

yamaha-rx-v659-receiver-rear-large.jpg

Now what HDMI to Component converter would I need to make this happen? I'm looking for the most cost effective option. However, I also read a review on a Monoprice HDMI/Component converter where someone wasn't getting an HD signal, but then the Monoprice Tech suggested plugging the converter directly into the TV rather than through a receiver, and then he was able to get HD. I only mention this, because if I must plug the converter directly into the TV to get an HD signal, then I will not choose this option, because I must go through my Yamaha receiver. I would rather do option 1 because that converter is cheaper and smaller if both options will be non-HD anyways.

Any help or guidance anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
I'd have to presume that the ATV3 HDMI port uses HDCP so it's probably not quite as simple as using a generic HDMI-to-component converter if anything above 480i is desired.

However, if you were to consider this company's line of products you'd probably find what you are looking for. wink.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post

Now what HDMI to Component converter would I need to make this happen? I'm looking for the most cost effective option. However, I also read a review on a Monoprice HDMI/Component converter where someone wasn't getting an HD signal, but then the Monoprice Tech suggested plugging the converter directly into the TV rather than through a receiver, and then he was able to get HD. I only mention this, because if I must plug the converter directly into the TV to get an HD signal, then I will not choose this option, because I must go through my Yamaha receiver. I would rather do option 1 because that converter is cheaper and smaller if both options will be non-HD anyways.

Any help or guidance anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you!

There are devices out there can claim to HDMI - component conversions but the results may be less than stellar or do not work at all.

Quote:
The HDMI to component video converters that you listed are outside of the scope of the HDMI adopters agreement because it can output HD on a non-secure component video output. It's the reason you don't see HD component video outputs on Blu-Ray players anymore (or pretty much any type of component video output). In my opinion that is a poor choice by the HDMI Org (and its member companies) because your usage for a component video output is a valid use. However, no one asked me.

So, I'm going to keep from commenting on the particular units you posted other than to say for those to work they would have to be HDCP compliant and their keys would have to not be revoked. Keep in mind that often once the HDMI Org sees references to these type of units, they seem to disappear from the marketplace quickly.

My initial reaction to your question was save your money for a new TV. I think after writing all of the above, that's still my opinion.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465060/will-this-hdmi-to-component-converter-work-with-my-standard-definition-480-tv

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the help. I ended up buying devices for both options, and it turns out option 2 certainly does work!! I got one of the hdfurypro clones and it works for both my AppleTV and my HDMI MacBook Pro. The picture actually looks great! Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Spoke too soon. Turns out I can't really stream anything due to HDCP compliance issues. I can't even stream my own personal videos to my AppleTV! The MacBook Pro hookup works fantastically, but AppleTV is a failure. Due I need another HDMI to Composite converter than can bypass these annoying HDCP issues, or some adapter that will work with what I already bought? Legal shmegal. This is an outrage.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

- deleted -

So you are saying that you converter works for things like Netflix via AppleTV but you can't stream your own videos from your MacBook to the ATV? If so, that means the problems are with streaming to the ATV and not HDCP.

Three ideas along those lines:

1) If your MacBook Pro is a newer generation that supports Air Play mirroring (i.e. includes the H.264 encoder in the CPU) you can simply use Airplay to show anything that you can play on the Mac.

2) ATV does not support normal DLNA for local streaming, but it will play videos that meet its codec requirements via any local computer running iTunes.

3) PlexConnect can do Airplay from a Mac or PC to an ATV
post #7 of 9 Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I can stream anything from my MacBook to the ATV.

It's any streaming from my iPhone/iPad via AirPlay that doesn't work and I get the HDCP error.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post

....I get the HDCP error.
Three ideas:

1) Make sure the ATV is setup to output a fixed resolution (start with 1080p and work down) and not "Auto."

2) Replace HDMI cable(s) in the far outside chance this is a problem. FWIW, high quality HDMI cables are very cheap from Monoprice or Amazon.com (Amazon basics) these days - look for "high speed" cables.

3) If the above are not issues, consider an actual hdfury as the "clone" doesn't seem to be doing its job.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Did any of these options work out? I am trying to connect a new Apple TV to old Panasonic TV without HDMI input. PLEASE HELP!
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V659 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page