Processor for 2:40.1 projector screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there another processor that will fill a 2:40.1 screen like mini3D??? I am using a Panasonic ae7000u projector and a 106" 2:40.1 screen. I want to be able to watch 16:9 content in full screen no black bars. Also have the 2:40.1 fill the screen without zoom from the projector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL758 View Post

Is there another processor that will fill a 2:40.1 screen like mini3D??? I am using a Panasonic ae7000u projector and a 106" 2:40.1 screen. I want to be able to watch 16:9 content in full screen no black bars. Also have the 2:40.1 fill the screen without zoom from the projector.

Are you using an anamorphic lens, or just zooming the projector up so that the top and bottom spill off the screen?

The Radiance line (including the Mini 3D) has the most comprehensive aspect ratio controls for Constant Image Height, plus a 2.35:1 non-linear stretch if that sort of thing interests you. DVDO is not nearly as good in this regard.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

No I do not have an A lens, just zooming. I have the lens memory set up on the AE7000u with 16:9,2:35.1,2:40.1,1:85.1 it works good but on the 2:35.1 and 2:40.1 content I get black bars off the bottom and top of screen. The one on top I can't even notice it's the bar on the bottom that spills over I notice, it's only on bright scenes that it is visible. The wall is a dark purple but I can still see it. My screen is a DIY zero edge, I only have a 1/2" of velvet around the screen. The images fit perfect except the spill over from the black bars. Iam not worried so much about projecting a 16:9 image in 2:35.1 or 2:40.1 as I am havering those 2 AR looking right. I had looked into the DVDO but iam not sure if it will correct that problem. The mini3D is just out of my budget. I guess really iam just looking for a way to eliminate the black bar spill on the walls.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could you hang a narrow strip of black cardboard about a foot in front of the projector so that is casts a shadow just below the screen?
Something about an inch high would probably be enough and not look too bad.
td
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL758 View Post

The images fit perfect except the spill over from the black bars. Iam not worried so much about projecting a 16:9 image in 2:35.1 or 2:40.1 as I am havering those 2 AR looking right. I had looked into the DVDO but iam not sure if it will correct that problem. The mini3D is just out of my budget. I guess really iam just looking for a way to eliminate the black bar spill on the walls.

The light coming out of your projector is 16:9 in aspect ratio. A video processor cannot stop that light from coming out. All it can do is electronically blank any picture there, replacing it with black bars. Since you're already talking about the black bars on letterboxed movies, you'll gain no benefit from a video processor.

The only way to eliminate the extra light spill is to add an anamorphic lens in front of the projector, which will physically reshape the light into 2.35:1 shape. Your picture will then appear horizontally stretched, at which point you need a video processor to electronically correct the picture geometry. (Many projectors have this v-stretch feature built in these days too.)

If a Radiance Mini 3D is out of your price range, an anamorphic lens will be as well.

A much more affordable solution is to add black fabric masking material above and below your screen, which will absorb the light and make the black letterbox bars less noticeable.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have some prism wedges arriving on Wednesday so I will try my hand and at building my own anamorphic lens. Lots of info on how to do this with great results.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page