Time Syncronization - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fellow Nerds,

I have been revisited by an old enemy. My live TV recordings are starting about 2-3 minutes late again. One of my HTPC's was almost 5 minutes fast compared to a time standard. For some reason, my past efforts at synchronizing time are no longer working. Anybody dealt with this problem successfully? I would ideally like to use my Windows Home Server 2011 machine as a host for some kind of time synching app and have my connected HTPC's query the server periodically and match times with it. To this end, I'm experimenting with NTP for windows (http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Set up your Windows Time NTP service to poll more regularly?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/w32time/archive/2008/02/26/configuring-the-time-service-ntpserver-and-specialpollinterval.aspx

By changing SpecialPollInterval in the registry for the server you can specify a time refresh at a much more regular period than the default and this keeps clocks more accurate...

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #3 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WHS2011 is easily set to be an NTP server with a simple registry setting. No need for other software. Here ya go:

1. In WHS's registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NTPServer set the Enabled item to 1

2. Add to WHS an Inbound Rule to Windows Firewall for the port 123, protocol UDP

3. Set all clients to point to the WHS2011 IP address.

That's all, though you may need to log-off-and-on and/or restart the W32Tm service or WHS2011 itself first.

I did also set my SpecialPollInterval to an hour instead of a week, on all machines. The WHS2011 is on all the time so it's time is always perfect, and it's reachable by my clients at all times as well.

You will also need to find a reliable external source for your WHS machine to point to of course. I found one physically-and-web-wise nearby to my location that works perfectly 24/7. Sorry I don't have a link to the list of NTP servers handy just now.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys.. I'll be resuming work on this problem on the weekend. Will update.

Laserfan, I'd appreciate it if you could post your list of NTP servers. I've been unable to find any that work.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Thanks for the replies, guys.. I'll be resuming work on this problem on the weekend. Will update.

Laserfan, I'd appreciate it if you could post your list of NTP servers. I've been unable to find any that work.

You can't find public NTP servers?

Try these links:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+public+ntp+servers

Sorry about the last link... but it was an easy way to get you a good list...

post #6 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the page that I found which was most helpful. I think you want to look for a time server that is physically close to whereever your ISP hub happens to be, which may/may not be physically close to YOU. In any case I found one that works rock-solid for my WHS2011 machine:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

All,

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still striking out. When doing a "ntpq -pn" in the command prompt on my server, I get nothing but zeroes.

I have added inbound and outbound rules for NTP on port 123 (UDP) on the server, and I've added a port forwarding rule on the same port in my router. I chose several servers that are geographically close to me. What am I missing here?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I have added inbound and outbound rules for NTP on port 123 (UDP) on the server, and I've added a port forwarding rule on the same port in my router.
Dunno-or-have ntpq, but you need just ONE new WHS2011 firewall rule.

All I did was add ONE new INBOUND rule, UDP protocol and Local port/Specific Ports 123. No other changes from defaults that I recall; Remote port on that page just says All Ports. Under Advanced I see only Private and Public are checked (I don't have a Domain, maybe you do?).

Are none of your PCs able to get time from an external NTP server? Because if any ARE, then your router shouldn't need touching at all. Otherwise that is where I'd concentrate next. And have you un-installed the meinbergglobal software to "get it out of the way"?

FWIW the NTP server I use is at 184.22.194.238 and it's not failed since I set this up some weeks ago.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Dunno-or-have ntpq, but you need just ONE new WHS2011 firewall rule.

All I did was add ONE new INBOUND rule, UDP protocol and Local port/Specific Ports 123. No other changes from defaults that I recall; Remote port on that page just says All Ports. Under Advanced I see only Private and Public are checked (I don't have a Domain, maybe you do?).

Are none of your PCs able to get time from an external NTP server? Because if any ARE, then your router shouldn't need touching at all. Otherwise that is where I'd concentrate next. And have you un-installed the meinbergglobal software to "get it out of the way"?

FWIW the NTP server I use is at 184.22.194.238 and it's not failed since I set this up some weeks ago.

Are you running NTP? The Meinberg application is just a GUI frontend to NTP that lets me configure things a little easier. It shouldn't be interfering. How are you adding your NTP server? Through the windows "change time and date" thing in the system tray (or does that have to be disabled)? As a test, I added your IP address above into both the windows dialog and into the NTP server list and neither worked.

* Edit *

Dropping the firewall from my verizon FIOS router to the "minimum security" option did the trick. So now, I have a new question: what (specifically) needs to be configured on my router so that I can re-enable security on my router? Port forwarding to the server on port 123?
post #10 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

FIOS router? Beats me--I'd start by enabling incoming UDP.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

FIOS router? My friend has a Verizon DSL router with High/Med/Low security, and both Access Control and Port Forwarding capabilities. You're looking to allow inbound UDP on port 123 to your WHS2011 server pc.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page