I have owned a Comm-Tec UP 1280 FD for some time, using it for retro gaming systems (16/32/128bit consoles & supergun, euro scart>db15, bnc>vga), and I have been happy with it but it lacks some features which I would have loved to have like format conversion and better picture enhancement options.
So I thought about acquiring a GVC1280 but went with the higher-end Dune F
to see what it's got... but to my surprise there are a few issues I was not expecting;
1. Non-consistent picture.
About 10% of the active image displayed on my tv (LG 32LD450 via vga) looks different from the other 90%.
Like a vertical band on the left that looks enhanced/sharp, and the rest remaining blurry.
Same stuff whether enhancement is on or off. Really feels like only 10% of the image is being actively processed!
I'll post a picture ASAP.
(Note: been testing with a 60Hz switched MD2 & modedd PS1 w/ ntsc games)
To my surprise I couldn't find the same Time Base Correction
feature that is available on the Comm-Tec.
The Vigatec documentation advertises on this feature but as 'integrated'. You don't actually have access to it (no on/off switch).
There are 'film mode' or film processing' like options but they don't do anything to eliminate the judder/stuttering from the MD2 of PS1 games in movement.
On the Comm-Tec when you switch it on everything becomes perfectly stable and smooth, even when playing weird-sync arcade pcbs!
So... are all Vigatec branded processors the same (no TBC switch) ?
Thinking there might have been something wrong witht the firmware I have tried a soft reset, but nothing changed.
So I have tried a hard reset, the one that brings back the default older firmware... it didn't change anything...
And now I feel like an idiot because the Vigatec firmware are no longer available for download.
4. 480p/640x480 upscaling.
Coming from a PC or an XRGB to input 6 or 7 set on Auto or 640x480, most options (format, enhancement, output, etc) simply become unavailable.
And it looks like the output is locked to 1080p (my tv says its receiving a 1080p signal) but it really feel like a simple pass-through.
Any help/advice will be immensely appreciated !