Lumagen Radiance 20XX Support Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #361 of 369 Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 217
gadgtfreek:

After a Factory Reset make sure to do a Save (MENU up-arrow OK OK OK) to make it permanent. After the Factory Reset Output 1 will have both audio and video on the Radiance 2XXX and older models.

Make sure the HDMI cable on output 1 is a high quality 6 to 10 foot passive (or a Ethereal active cable or Monoprice Redmere). We have had systems where a cable was good enough for video but the AVR had issues with Audio when using a marginal cable. Avoid passive cables less than 6 feet as the HDMI driver and receiver equalization can make the signal too hot.

You can also try setting up the Audio EDID in teh top level Audio menu as "Always," "User1 EDID," and selecting the appropriate audio modes. This means the Radiance does not need to read the EDID from the AVR and can help getting audio to work in some cases.
gadgtfreek likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 369 Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
gadgtfreek:

After a Factory Reset make sure to do a Save (MENU up-arrow OK OK OK) to make it permanent. After the Factory Reset Output 1 will have both audio and video on the Radiance 2XXX and older models.

Make sure the HDMI cable on output 1 is a high quality 6 to 10 foot passive (or a Ethereal active cable or Monoprice Redmere). We have had systems where a cable was good enough for video but the AVR had issues with Audio when using a marginal cable. Avoid passive cables less than 6 feet as the HDMI driver and receiver equalization can make the signal too hot.

You can also try setting up the Audio EDID in teh top level Audio menu as "Always," "User1 EDID," and selecting the appropriate audio modes. This means the Radiance does not need to read the EDID from the AVR and can help getting audio to work in some cases.
Ah, thanks. Might have been the cable, I was using a 3 foot redmere because the 2020 is real close to the AVR.
post #363 of 369 Old 03-16-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Ah, thanks. Might have been the cable, I was using a 3 foot Redmere because the 2020 is real close to the AVR.
To add to my comment on passive cables: The 6 foot minimum does not apply to active cables such as Redmere or Ethereal Active cables. The reason is the cable manufacturer can compensate for the Source "Pre-EQ" in the tuning of the active chip. So it is likely not the HDMI cable if it is a 3 foot Redmere. Of course this means we have to figure out what the actual issue is.

We have heard of inputs on some devices having issues with Redmere. So while the Radiance input works fine with Redmere cables, the AVR input may not. So perhaps trying a 6 foot 4k rated passive HDMI cable between the Radiance 2020 Output 1 to the AVR is a good test to see if it help.
gadgtfreek likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #364 of 369 Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
To add to my comment on passive cables: The 6 foot minimum does not apply to active cables such as Redmere or Ethereal Active cables. The reason is the cable manufacturer can compensate for the Source "Pre-EQ" in the tuning of the active chip. So it is likely not the HDMI cable if it is a 3 foot Redmere. Of course this means we have to figure out what the actual issue is.

We have heard of inputs on some devices having issues with Redmere. So while the Radiance input works fine with Redmere cables, the AVR input may not. So perhaps trying a 6 foot 4k rated passive HDMI cable between the Radiance 2020 Output 1 to the AVR is a good test to see if it help.
Thanks. It isn't a huge deal, but I will do some tinkering.
post #365 of 369 Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question about the Darbee implementation. On very fine detail, like say jackets with lots of small details like stitching etc, there is often an effect best described as "shimmering". This can also be seen on window blinds etc. I currently have not tested if this can be toned down by lowering the value. I have it set to 40-50 in HD mode and enhancement sharpness values set to 15. Just wanted to know if someone saw this also or if its a combination of my settings somehow. I am using an Oppo 95 in source direct (no sharpness applied) and projector Sony VW-95ES with sharpness at about 35/100.

Last edited by Drem; 07-13-2016 at 09:23 PM.
post #366 of 369 Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
I have a question about the Darbee implementation. On very fine detail, like say jackets with lots of small details like stitching etc, there is often an effect best described as "shimmering". This can also be seen on window blinds etc. I currently have not tested if this can be toned down by lowering the value. I have it set to 40-50 in HD mode and enhancement sharpness values set to 15. Just wanted to know if someone saw this also or if its a combination of my settings somehow. I am using an Oppo 95 in source direct (no sharpness applied) and projector Sony VW-95ES with sharpness at about 35/100.
If you have the sharpness of the lumagen processer set to 15 then i would turn them down to 5 or less....i find anything above that will add artefacts to the image.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #367 of 369 Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Darbee plus Gennum plus Sony sharpness is a bit too much I think.
I suggest to turn the Sony down to 10 at most and better to zero as it is a rather outdated sharpness adjustment.

Agree on sharpness in the Lumagen: 5 is plenty, I would only use that much with the fine / texture adjustments.
post #368 of 369 Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I have a Radiance scaler (with Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal sharpness settings) and Sony projector with two other sharpness settings (Sharpness and Reality Creation).
I don't know what is the best method to use: should I use sharpness setting from the Radiance only? or from the Sony only? or a combination of both?
post #369 of 369 Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I have another question concerning the 24p display of the blu ray discs. I feel too much jerkiness, in the travelling for example.
Is there a setting within the Radiance to reduce this effect?
If I set the output to 60p instead of 24p, is there some image interpolation process or do some frames are repeated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors