Lumagen Radiance 20XX Support Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #91 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I always purchase a USB to Serial Adapter that has two RS-232 ports.

You can also use multiple USB to Serial Adapters. But that might mean that you also need to purchase a USB expander to add more USB ports to your laptop.

Sometimes I use up to four USB ports and two serial ports to do a calibration, so I use a combination of these two methods.

Typically a USB cable can be a maximum of 10 feet long. In the past I have used a USB cable with a USB extension cable that was longer than 10 feet, but be aware that 10 feet is the longest recommended length.

RS-232 cables can work reliably to 50 foot or more. There are also inexpensive RS-232 to CAT5 passive adapters which work very well and are good for much longer than 50 feet. These adapters are just two connectors with wires. There are is no active circuitry inside. You use the adapters with a standard CAT5 network cable.

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Also, there's the issue of having to use the Lumagen's single RS232 serial port for a variety of functions: 1. Control via my RTI remote control system. 2. For software updates. 3. For attaching my PC to calibrate my projector, using Chromapure software. The best solution I can think of is to buy a serial port splitter, so that one end is permanently attached to my RTI remote control system, and the other I attach to my computer when I need to for software updates/image calibration.

So I'd be buying 1. A USB to serial adapter. 2. A serial port splitter cable. 3. A 25 ft USB extension cable.

As Randy pointed out, USB is more limited in length, so better to use a short USB cable and a long RS232 cable.

For controlling the Lumagen from two different sources (control system vs laptop) I don't think a splitter will cut it. If it's impractical to plug & unplug rs232 cables every time you switch, you can get an rs232 switch with a knob you turn to toggle between the two (RTI vs laptop).
post #93 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Well I'm glad I asked!

Nothing is as easy as it first seems. Although I have not yet fully implemented the Lumagen into my system, it does strike me as quite inconvenient to have to dig around the back of my equipment
rack plugging and unplugging a fussy connection like RS232. Especially as I'll be learning the ropes for calibration soon and expect to have to access that fairly often. And I don't like the idea of unplugging my remote control system to do so.

It looks like I'll get a long RS232 extension cable, rather than a long USB extension cable.

ScottJ: why wouldn't a serial cable splitter cut it? Would it weaken the signal, making the signal too weak for a 25 foot RS232 extension cable to the laptop?

If that's the case, I guess that rs232 switch you linked to will be my solution (boy that's an ugly box; I hope I can hide it behind something on my rack). Thank you for letting me know about that switcher!
More equipment to order...

ETA: This looks like the same rs232 switch box does it not?

http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/sw_mb-db9-21.htm

If so I'll order it, since it's shipped locally.
post #94 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

ScottJ: why wouldn't a serial cable splitter cut it? Would it weaken the signal, making the signal too weak for a 25 foot RS232 extension cable to the laptop?

The same reason you don't connect your cable box and Blu-ray player outputs to an HDMI splitter to your TV. This is not a one-way signal that's being driven by the Lumagen. You have two different devices each trying to send a signal to the Lumagen. If one of them wants to drive +5V on the wire, and the other one wants to drive 0V on the same wire, you have a problem.

You might be able to find an intelligent switch that can detect a signal and switch automatically when you plug in the laptop cable.
post #95 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I will throw in my USB to RS-232 Converter experience. I have both the IOGear GUC232A (~$40) and the U.S. Converters XS880 (~$45), and they both work fine.

Regarding USB cable length, I have been using a USB extender with a 45-foot Cat 5e cable for years. The device I have looks exactly like this: http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/usb-extender-over-cat5e6-cable-single-port-upto-150ft-p46766.htm but I have to check if that is the exact unit. Edit: I checked, and it is the same unit. I think mine was actually an ATEN 2X-UCE50, but those are no longer made, and they point you to the KVM unit.

I also found these examples: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800997018

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-ethernet-extender

Mark
post #96 of 243 Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Well I'm glad I asked!

Nothing is as easy as it first seems. Although I have not yet fully implemented the Lumagen into my system, it does strike me as quite inconvenient to have to dig around the back of my equipment
rack plugging and unplugging a fussy connection like RS232. Especially as I'll be learning the ropes for calibration soon and expect to have to access that fairly often. And I don't like the idea of unplugging my remote control system to do so.

It looks like I'll get a long RS232 extension cable, rather than a long USB extension cable.

If that's the case, I guess that rs232 switch you linked to will be my solution (boy that's an ugly box; I hope I can hide it behind something on my rack). Thank you for letting me know about that switcher!
More equipment to order...

ETA: This looks like the same rs232 switch box does it not?

http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/sw_mb-db9-21.htm

If so I'll order it, since it's shipped locally.

Hello.

Indeed it's better to use a long RS232 and a short USB cable.
- USB is specified to work with a max length equals to 5 meter
- RS232 is specified to work with a max length equals to 15 meters to keep the best transmission performance (but cable longer can be used (baud rate is reduced) )

As USB-RS232C adapter, I recommend you Brandboxes ( http://www.brainboxes.com/usb-to-serial ). I use the US701 model without any problem under windows xp, seven, 8.1 . There is a very good customer support . NOTE : it's not a RS232 switch

My Radiance 2041 is controlled to RS232 with a NEVO controller and they are both located in a 19" rack. It means that I need to change the RS232 connection (radiance - nevo or radiance-computer) when I want to perform a calibration or an update with the Radiance. This situation is easy to manage without a RS232 switch.

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #97 of 243 Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
If you are sending audio only to a receiver through HDMI 1 out, you may want to turn the video off on that output. I could not get DTS MA (no audio at all) from some blu-rays (e.g. Avatar). I worked with tech support at Lumagen for quite some time yesterday before they come up with this solution. my configuration includes an oppo 93 and a denon 4810 receiver. Tech support was diligent, calling me several times to try different settings to isolate the problem. They were great.

One other suggestion - you may want to set the audio to User1 and set all the codecs to "Y" - see the Audio section of the user manual.

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #98 of 243 Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post

Hello.

Indeed it's better to use a long RS232 and a short USB cable.
- USB is specified to work with a max length equals to 5 meter
- RS232 is specified to work with a max length equals to 15 meters to keep the best transmission performance (but cable longer can be used (baud rate is reduced) )

As USB-RS232C adapter, I recommend you Brandboxes ( http://www.brainboxes.com/usb-to-serial ). I use the US701 model without any problem under windows xp, seven, 8.1 . There is a very good customer support . NOTE : it's not a RS232 switch

My Radiance 2041 is controlled to RS232 with a NEVO controller and they are both located in a 19" rack. It means that I need to change the RS232 connection (radiance - nevo or radiance-computer) when I want to perform a calibration or an update with the Radiance. This situation is easy to manage without a RS232 switch.

In my opinion, you don't need to spend that much for a basic USB to RS-232 converter; their US-101 model is $65! I understand if you need the 4-port model like you are using.

However, for a single port model, I have used the IOGEAR USB 2.0 to Serial/PDA Converter Cable GUC232A ($24) on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 without issues. It is available at Amazon, Newegg, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Serial-Converter-Cable-GUC232A/dp/B000067VB7

Mark
post #99 of 243 Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM

The last time I purchased a USB to dual RS-232 adapter at Fry's Electronics it was around $24. I don't remember what brand it is but it works fine on XP and Win7.

Randy
post #100 of 243 Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

In my opinion, you don't need to spend that much for a basic USB to RS-232 converter; their US-101 model is $65! I understand if you need the 4-port model like you are using.

However, for a single port model, I have used the IOGEAR USB 2.0 to Serial/PDA Converter Cable GUC232A ($24) on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 without issues. It is available at Amazon, Newegg, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Serial-Converter-Cable-GUC232A/dp/B000067VB7

Mark

Hello Mark.

Of course I need the 4 ports model. The US101 is enough if you need only one port.

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #101 of 243 Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

An update and a question:

I tried following the software update steps, first with a USB to Serial adapter I bought from Radio Shack ("The Source"). Didn't work. Boy this stuff is finicky. My computer-expert pal lent me his usb to serial cable and once I got the correct driver, the update worked (I presume it worked - I won't be able to check for sure until the Lumagen goes into my system tomorrow). FWIW this is the cable my friend gave me,
and I've just ordered one for myself from Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-Supports/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=pd_sim_ce_1

QUESTION:

A contractor is coming tomorrow to help me set up my Lumagen etc, and program it's remote codes into my RTI universal remote control system. (The RTI system is great, but a major downside is having to rely on a contractor to program it every time you buy a new piece of equipment!).

I'm hoping my contractor has some access to the direct remote control codes for the Lumagen 2041. But it's a pretty new model so I'm wondering if the codes have made their way into the professional installer crowd. Is there any accessable list of the 2041 direct remote codes somewhere, in case we need them tomorrow?

And if anyone happens to have tips on "must have" controls to set up on a universal remote - that is the most handy features of the Lumagen to place front and center on the remote screen - feel free to let me know. (I will be using the Lumagen in calibrating my projector FWIW).

Many thanks ,

Rich
post #102 of 243 Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM

We have always used the same IR codes from the first Vision series to the latest Radiance video processor.

The Lumagen IR control codes are in the RTI database. You just need to find which category they list the video processor codes.

Randy Freeman
post #103 of 243 Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good, thank you Randy.

(I wasn't going to be able to take advantage of your phone support until today, but as you can see I managed to complete the software update myself over the weekend, so thank you for the offer to walk me through it nonetheless).
post #104 of 243 Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My contractors helped me install the Lumagen 2041.

As recommended in the Lumagen quick set up guide: I've got the HDMI outs of my Oppo blu-ray player, HD-DVD Player, Apple TV and Scientific Atlanta cable box going into the Lumagen's separate HDMI inputs. Then I have the Lumagen
HDMI 1 monitor out to the Denon AV receiver, and the Lumagen HDMI 2 monitor out straight to my projector.

Result thus far: It works. Switching seems good, reliable, not quick, but fast enough for me (and maybe even faster than in my previous set up). This new set up also, as I hoped it would, seems to have fixed the HDMI handshake issues I was having with my external Darbee Darblet in the system. With the Darblet the system often dropped sound (from my center channel) when switching sources. So far this is not happening with the Lumagen in it's place. That's great!

However, at the moment I have two issues:

1. Lip-sync! I was worried about this and, unfortunately, since replacing my Denon VP with the Lumagen, I now have lip-sync issues across all my sources...including TV which is really weird since I never had that before. I did have lip-sync issues here and there in my system before putting in the Lumagen. Sometimes I'd get poor lip-sync on a movie, other times not, and strangely, sometimes it would start off with lip-sync issues that seemed to get better as the movie was playing. But I never had a constant lip-sync mismatch at all times on every source like this. There's no way I could live with it as it is, so I'm trying to diagnose it. I haven't finished doing so yet.

2. Remote Codes for the Lumagen. For whatever reason my contractor could not find many Lumagen codes to put in my RTI remote control system. He said he looked in the RTI database for the Vision series, as suggested by Randy. He found codes for the Lumagen vision pro HDP scaler. But said there weren't' many there, so I have a very paltry set. Mostly just access to the menu, and no real direct codes. I figured, Lumagen being a pro product used in so many pro installations, that there would be direct codes for many of it's features. I'd like direct codes for the various image enhancement features, NR, etc, for one thing. Do these exist somewhere?

Next Sunday a calibrator is going to calibrate my JVC projector via the Lumagen, which is when I hope it shows it's stuff - the main reason I bought it.

Cheers,
post #105 of 243 Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One more issue to add: When I switch the Lumagen output to 4K (or "UHD" upscaling a 1080p Blu-Ray to 3,840×2,160 - 24p) to my JVC RS57 projector, I get picture but no sound. Sound returns when I switch the output back to 1080p24.

Any ideas on what might cause this and how to trouble shoot?

Thanks again.
post #106 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

One more issue to add: When I switch the Lumagen output to 4K (or "UHD" upscaling a 1080p Blu-Ray to 3,840×2,160 - 24p) to my JVC RS57 projector, I get picture but no sound. Sound returns when I switch the output back to 1080p24.

Any ideas on what might cause this and how to trouble shoot?

Thanks again.

The sound issue with it disappearing is probably because the receiver is not able to recognise the 4K signal it is being sent on output1. This would be the case if OUT1 has video turned on. Make sure to set OUT1 video to OFF. If you do that the scaler will send blanked 1080i60 video with the audio stream. Your receiver should recognise that and the sound should come back.
I am not sure if there are direct command for noise reduciton etc. If you email Lumagen they should be able to send you a full serial command set for your RTI guy to use. I believe it's not complicated to build a driver if he can't find one.
Lipsync....well, i find this surpising. Turn off anything that has auto lipsync or has any form of hdmi linked communication. Make sure to turn power off to everything then power back up once you change stuff like that so it can all re-sync itself.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #107 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Gordon. That suggestion about the 4K sound issue with my AV receiver makes sense so I'll try turning video output off from the HDMI one as you suggest. (I figured it might be something like that, so I wasn't too worried).
I'll email Lumagen and see what they have for codes.

Lipsync: as I mentioned I'm still diagnosing it. I just found my old DVE disc which I believe has a lip-sync test/diagnostic sound/image pattern. And things have gotten even more weird. The day I put in the Lumagen, I lost lip-sync on every source as I mentioned. Yet last night, lip-sync had gotten better! It got to the point were it was just barely detectably off with the same blu-rays that it had been obviously off previously. So now I'm suspecting I still have some drifting lip sync issue in my system that I have to trace.

The maddening thing is that the lip sync issue I've had over the years, when it shows up, actually has the sound AHEAD slightly of the image, not behind it. Thus the only solution offered, audio delays, only make the problem worse.
I've never been able to diagnose how this is happening. (I'll look for auto lip sync on my receiver/blu-ray player etc to turn on/off).
post #108 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM

The current Lumagen remote has 36 buttons that are used for the entire product line. Ask your installer to learn any codes that you are missing. He doesn't need to learn the 4 PIP buttons which are only used for the RadianceXE..

Lumagen also use, what we refer to as "direct codes" and "menu shortcuts". These codes consist of pressing a short sequence of button on the Lumagen remote. An example is the "direct code" to do a factory reset which is "Menu 0999". This same code can be sent to the RS-232 interface on the Radiance as "M0999". There is a full list of these commands posted in "Tech Tip 13 - Radiance direct codes and menu shortcuts". You can download this Tech Tip from our website.
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals

Let us know if you have any questions about how to access specific items in the Radiance menu.

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
post #109 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

The maddening thing is that the lip sync issue I've had over the years, when it shows up, actually has the sound AHEAD slightly of the image, not behind it. Thus the only solution offered, audio delays, only make the problem worse.

If the sound is ahead, seems like delaying it would fix it.

Noah
post #110 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

If the sound is ahead, seems like delaying it would fix it.

Ugh, you're right: I wrote that wrong. I meant to say that the picture is ahead, so the sound is already delayed (and I have gone through my sources, VP and AV receiver to make sure there were no audio delay settings turned on).
post #111 of 243 Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Ugh, you're right: I wrote that wrong. I meant to say that the picture is ahead, so the sound is already delayed (and I have gone through my sources, VP and AV receiver to make sure there were no audio delay settings turned on).

That is very odd Rich, are you sure, Ive never heard of such a thing?

Normally one has to delay the audio to get it in sync!
post #112 of 243 Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm getting there....

Two things:

1. The 2041 is passing 3D picture ok, but I'm not getting any sound when playing a 3D movie. As noted before, I have HDMI monitor out 1 out of the lumagen going to my AV receiver and HDMI out 2 going to my projector. My AV reciever is older and does not pass 3D so I thought maybe it's getting a 3D video signal with the sound. From the Lumagen menu I tried turning off video to HDMI output 1, but that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

2. We are going to set up an Anamorphic lens macro today, to use with my Panamorph lens. Previously this macro employed the a-stretch in my JVC projector, but I understand Lumagen's A-stretch is better quality so we'll switch to that.
However, there is the problem of 16:9 Blu-Ray menus when in 2:35:1 mode. I know there is some function on the Lumagen that can shrink the image on a button press so you can see the full menu, then go back to normal stretch for watching the 2:35:1 movie. I'm just trying to find out which function or button that is, so we can include that button in my universal remote. Anyone?

Thanks!
post #113 of 243 Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm getting there....

Two things:

1. The 2041 is passing 3D picture ok, but I'm not getting any sound when playing a 3D movie. As noted before, I have HDMI monitor out 1 out of the lumagen going to my AV receiver and HDMI out 2 going to my projector. My AV reciever is older and does not pass 3D so I thought maybe it's getting a 3D video signal with the sound. From the Lumagen menu I tried turning off video to HDMI output 1, but that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

2. We are going to set up an Anamorphic lens macro today, to use with my Panamorph lens. Previously this macro employed the a-stretch in my JVC projector, but I understand Lumagen's A-stretch is better quality so we'll switch to that.
However, there is the problem of 16:9 Blu-Ray menus when in 2:35:1 mode. I know there is some function on the Lumagen that can shrink the image on a button press so you can see the full menu, then go back to normal stretch for watching the 2:35:1 movie. I'm just trying to find out which function or button that is, so we can include that button in my universal remote. Anyone?

Thanks!

When you want to use the lens you assign a STYLE with the aspect set to 2.35:! When you are using a memory that is using that STYLE then when you press the 2.35:1 aspect on the remote it will fill the screen...and when you press 16:9 the lumagen will pillarbox 16:9 to fit within the 2.35:! screen...and when you press 4:3 it'll do even greater pillarboxing...

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #114 of 243 Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM

1. To turn off video on HDMI output 1 press "Menu 0985". Then save the new setting by pressing "Menu, Save, Ok, Ok, Ok". Then the Radiance will always send blank 1080i video with audio out HDMI output 1.

2. We have two Tech Tips that document the procedure for setting up the Radiance for a fixed or movable anamorphic lens. Please see the appropriate "Tech Tip 3" or "Tech Tip 7".

If you are watching a 2.35 movie and want to see the Bluray menus, you just need to press the "16:9" input aspect ratio button at the top of the Lumagen remote. To return to watching the movie, press the "2.35" input aspect ratio button.

Call us if you need any assistance with setting up your system.

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
503-574-2211
post #115 of 243 Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gordon, thanks I'll try those instructions soon for the A-stretch.

Randy, much obliged. That solved the no-sound with 3D issue! It's weird because previously as I said I'd gone into the menu and shut it off. At first when I had the Prometheus 3D Blu-Ray running with no sound, I pressed the buttons you mentioned, it said video had been turned off, but I still didn't get sound. It just took changing sources, and then back to the Blu-Ray, and sound appeared. So I'm very happy about that as I was planning a Gravity 3D viewing party soon. smile.gif
(I just realised I forgot to re-test if I now get sound when upscaling to 4K from the Lumagen. It's supposed to be the same fix as for the 3D lack of sound, so I'd think it should fix both. I'll report back on that).

Also: Lip-Sync. Looks like I have it fixed. My previous lip-sync issues seemed to come and go and have particularly odd characteristics, sometimes with the picture ahead of the sound by a bit. Once the Lumagen was put in, lip-sync now appears delayed equally across all sources. Whether this is due to the Lumagen, or my Projector's processing (I played with turning of all image processing settings on my projector and that did not seem to affect the issue), I'm not going to sweat it because introducing a 61 ms audio delay via my Denon receiver seems to have addressed the issue.

More goodness: I seem to like the Darbee processing better on the 2041 vs my original Darbee Darblet unit. It's been indicated on the forums that putting the Darbee processing before scaling etc should improve it's performance and it seems to be the case. I've been very conservative with the Darblet before, as I found it pretty quickly gave an over-enhanced, hard and artificial look to the image. Normally I will use it around "20" if at all. I was quite surprised how far I was turning up the Darblet settings via the 2041 before getting the same artifacty look. It just seems smoother and more natural in the 2041. More usable. This was also the case watching the UFC last weekend. With the Darblet I had to choose whether to dial it up for more clarity, but increase the texture and visibility of source artifacts (digital/compression noise etc). But I could use the 2041 Darbee processing with that broadcast without seeing the same increase in noise. Very nice.

I'm still learning the ropes with this thing. I haven't yet switched my Oppo BDP 93 into native mode so I'm going to try that. I've been noticing quite a lot of "line twitter" in my Blu-Ray and HD DVD sources, more than I ever remember before.
Though, with 1080p sources I don't think there should be a difference in that performance sending it to the Lumagen, since the Oppo would output 1080p native, right?

Lastly: I'm still at the point, perhaps just because of the learning curve, where it feels my system has taken a bit of a step backwards in user friendliness. For instance, with my Denon VP I loved the DNR feature. That VP was well regarded for doing noise reduction without visible loss of resolution so it's been a feature I've been quite nervous about taking out of my system and replacing. With the Denon (on my RTI remote) I could just hit "DNR" and shuffle between "OFF, Low, Med, HI" to taste. Very fast. With the Lumagen the DNR is broken up into more choices, and more values to choose from. That is certainly more flexible, but not as quick and user friendly. I keep getting the idea that the Lumagen philosophy is a "dial it in set and forget" philosophy. Hence you dial the image parameters you want per source type, save it, then they are always applied and it's "set and forget." The thing for me image enhancement tools, which I use a lot, is exactly the opposite from set and forget. Source quality and issues vary so much that no single setting works for all, and image enhancement is about optimizing the specifics quality of what I'm watching. So anything that makes that slower or more complicated is something of a drawback. JVC actually did the same thing this year, to my chagrin. Where their "MPC" image enhancement processing on their E-shift projectors used to be a single button press between "1,2,3." Now
they've given the user far more control, with the image enhancement separated into 4 different parameters, and dials for each with values of 0 to 50. So that means where once, when I simply wanted to switch between MPC settings it was a single, or double button push and done, now it is potentially HUNDREDS of button pushes (or holding down the slider button for a while).

The AVS Gods giveth and they taketh away...

On the other hand, in some ways the Lumagen has been easier to used and understand than I thought it might be.

(And, btw, since I'm still learning the Lumagen, of course I may be unaware of quicker ways to use it than I understand right now).
post #116 of 243 Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM

There are Radiance menu shortcuts that you can use to access some of the menus. See 'Tech Tip 13 - Radiance direct commands and menu shortcuts".

For Example: to access the Radiance noise reduction menu, press "Menu 17". With a decent programmable remote or control system, you can store a macro to access this by pressing a single button.

You can also store different settings under the four user memory buttons "MemA", "MemB", "MemC", and "MemD". Then you can select different settings by pressing one of the user memory buttons.

Best regards,
Randy Freeman
post #117 of 243 Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Randy, that sounds like it would be just the ticket!

Ok, ok...I'll make sure to read the tech tips. smile.gif
post #118 of 243 Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I tried using the Lumagen to do the V-stretch for my anamorphic lens and did an A/B vs letting my JVC projector do the V-stretch. I was happily surprised to notice the Lumagen doing a better job - the image looked clearer, really smooth, and less "slightly fuzzy." So using my A-lens has never looked better. That's a nice addition to the system.
post #119 of 243 Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
post #120 of 243 Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

There is a new Beta software relase that you guys may want to try.
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates

ss

Have tried it and it works well

Frank

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page