Video Processor vs. Anamorphic Lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was just touched upon on the DPI LED 1000 lumen thread over on $3000+ Projectors.

Interesting is hearing some real life experiences.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Misleading topic, isn't it ? It's not really about video processors OR anamorphic lenses, it's about using both together.

VPs are still the way to go to build CIH (constant image height) projector setups with screens in cinemascope format (21:9). The lens allows you use the projector's full light output within the 21:9 area of your screen. The video processor scales the active 1920x800 cinemascope area of the movie to 1920x1080. 16:9 and 4:3 programs are squeezed horizontally. On 16:9 formats you lose as much light as you gain with 21:9 formats, so it's really about what you prefer to watch. If you watch more television shows than cinemascope movies, a CIH setup doesn't really make too much sense.

In this case motorizes lenses make sense, which can be shifted aside for 16:9 and 4:3 programs. But add electronic masking for the screen to that and it gets really expensive. In this case the video processor is certainly the least of your problems.

Lumagen's processors and the older DVDO units can be setup for any setup you can think of. The DVDO Edge and Duo can be used to stretch a 21:9 movie, but can't be used to properly squeeze 16:9, 4:3 or other formats.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

It's not really about video processors OR anamorphic lenses...

But it certainly can be.

I'm the one that suggested this to mmiles, as in my situation a VP is a better solution than a lens, with or w/o a VP.

I have 2.05:1 screen, splitting the difference between 1.78 and 2.35.

If I were to get a lens, the max theoretical brightness benefit would be 17% instead of 33%, though neither would ever be reached because of transmission loss.

Using combinations of stretching, compressing, and slight cropping, I'm going to set my Lumagen processor to make both 1.78n and 2.35 always fill the entire screen.

Can't do that with a lens.

Noah
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page