External processor that can shape mask XGA signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've got a cool project I'm working on that requires circular masking of an image projected on a screen. I tried physically masking the image being projected from my Casio LED projector, but that was too fuzzy, so I wondered about an external processor that would take the XGA source signal and replace the pixels in the masked area with black, then pass the signal on to the projector. Problem is, I don't know much about video processors. Any idea where to start researching this? Would this even be a "video processor" or am I searching in the wrong area? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

So I had another idea that might solve this issue. If I had a piece of hardware that could "mix" two XGA sources together, I could use a black mask image file (transparent PNG that's black with an open hole in the center). I just would need to find a mixer/processor that had local file storage or accepted a USB or SD Card so I don't have to use a full PC to produce the image. Anything out there like this? I'm looking for simple/cheap. I've seen something along these lines on eBay for about $300, which is fine, but it didn't seem to allow local or USB/SD storage to generate the mask image.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Without a PC that obviously gets expensive and complicated. Using a PC you could use a capture card (e.g. a Startech PEXHDCAP) and use an image overlay software along with it. Should work out fine.

If this is a one time project or would only get used a limited number of times, you should consider to just re-encode your video material with the overlay applied in software.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! This is actually for a live screen feed so it's not video content; otherwise I'd re-render in a heart beat with AfterEffects. =) I suppose the PC option is possible if I used a mini chassis and automated the boot-up process. What kind of software would apply an overlay to a live feed and output it full-screen?

I was looking at the TV One products (especially the 1T-C2-750). It sounds like I could load a chroma keyed mask image on its internal memory and overlay it on my live feed. That product has a lot of other options that I wouldn't need, but so far I haven't found anything simpler. 

This is what I found on eBay but it doesn't have on-board memory so I would need a second PC for the mask image source. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Text-Graphic-Video-Producer-Mixer-With-Overlay-/260305538330?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Rainmeter can be used to overlay patterns or graphics live over the whole PC video output.

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started

The device you linked to on eBay does require one source to be video or s-video, doesn't it ?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hm... Rainmeter sounds really interesting. Makes me wonder if I could build a little compact PC with the video capture card and Rainwater for less than buying a Tv One 1T-C2-750. Thanks for the info!

Ya, that item on eBay apparently only has one VGA input so the chroma keyed overlay would have to be provided via an S-Video source. I don't know what secondary device I'd use to do that (especially since everything is HDMI these days). Oh wall.

After thinking some more, I remembered working with projectors in the past that allowed for a custom user image that could be chroma keyed on top of whatever signal the projector was receiving. The purpose was to allow organizations to continuously display their logo on top of the content in the corporate and house-of-worship industries. If only I could find a consumer grade projector that could to this (sub-$1,500). 

post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried the TVOne 1T-C2-750 and was very disappointed. It wouldn't recognize the input signal and kept crashing/rebooting. I'm coming back to Fudoh's idea of building a little PC with a capture card and overlay software. I looked into Rainmeter but it's only for Windows. Is there any similar tools out there for Linux? I'd love to just build a little flash-based Linux unit that could boot-up instantaneously and would automatically start the capture/overlay processing. 

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page