Is there a Lumagen model, or other VP/software, that can do this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I haven't found the answer I'm looking for, this seems like the best place to ask. Is there a lumagen, or other VP/software, that can auto-detect aspect ratios? If so, can it it be setup to do specific tasks based on aspect ratio?

For example:

A 2.35:1 movie is played. The lumagen, or other VP/software, detects that it is 2.35:1, it then (due to prior setup) knows to vertically stretch the image in order to work properly with an anamorphic lens.

Is this something that the lumagen is capable of? I know the Kaleidescape is capable of this with their CinemaScape VP, looking for another option.

Now, let me take it one more step. I've noticed the 20XX series doesn't have trigger outs so I know it won't be able to do this but what about the XE3D/XE3D+?:

A 2.35:1 movie is played. The lumagen, or other VP/software, detects that it is 2.35:1, it then (due to prior setup) knows to vertically stretch the image in order to work properly with an anamorphic lens, additionally it sends a signal from a 12v trigger to activate a CineSlide to move the anamorphic lens into place.

I would then assume it would also be capable of reversing these actions when a 16:9 signal is detected and it was last in 2.35:1 mode.

Please someone point me in the direction of the product I'm looking for. Thank you in advance!

-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Aspect ratio detection is on Lumagen's list of possible features. There have been a number of requests for this feature. You and anyone else who really wants this feature could send a request to "support@lumagen.com". It never hurts to lobby and create some demand.

Randy Freeman
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Randy. I wasn't sure abou the details when Lumagen says "Extensive support for anamorphic lenses". I was hoping I would be told "Of course the Lumagen does that!". Oh well, I guess I will write the email and hope to see it become a reality. Thanks again!

-Sean
post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Kaliedescape knows the AR because it's in a database. I don't think it looks at the video signal to determine that, which is what a VP would have to do.

It would be difficult to build a solid & reliable system if you have to determine AR from the video signal. You really want to wait until after the movie starts playing for a few seconds and then move the mask/lens? What happens when a 2.35 movie has subs below the picture? What about movies like The Dark Knight which changes ARs several times throughout the movie?

The only reliable way is to keep a database or other way of tagging every one of your video files, and move the mask/lens based on that.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page