N. American +7.5 IRE black level to International 0 IRE black level line converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Does anyone know if a relatively cheap(preferably <$100) device that would convert a standard N. American SD line output of +7.5 IRE to the international line output standard of 0 IRE? Effectively darkening the picture by 7.5 IRE. Preferably this device would have S-video input and output but lacking S-video composite might be OK too.

The problem is I have several international Panasonic DVDRs that expect a line output black level of 0 IRE, almost all N. American devices output a +7.5 IRE black level(some DVD players have a DARKER or international setting but never things like STBs/DVRs or VCRs). If I feed my international Panasonics a +7.5 IRE black level the resulting DVDs will be +7.5 IRE above norm and will be too light(blacks not black but slightly grey) upon playback in another DVD palyer.

Complicating matters I believe is the fact that both N. American and International black levels top out at 100 IRE(totally white) so I don't think I'd want a device that just broadly darkened it's input as that might also darken whites......not positive about that last statement but hopefully someone else knows more about this that I.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
1. What brand and model TV or monitor are you using?

2. What brand and model DVD player?

3. Are these PAL moves and what region?

4. Check the DVD player menu to see if there is a setting to change output black level "setup" or "pedestal".

You might be able to connect a computer to your TV to play these disks.

One standard solution to this type of issue is to add a Lumagen video processor to your system. An used Lumagen Vision series video processor might do what you need and be close to your target price.

Randy
post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. Mostly LCD HDTVs, as for brands, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony. All are US products(60hz) although some also display PAL(50hz).

2. Mostly Sonys, '05-'08 vintage. A few Pioneers, Samsung, Oppo, Panasonic.

3. I'm recording from things like a: Tivo HD, VCRs, above DVD players, they are all NTSC region 1 for the DVDs a few will also play PAL.

4. Yes as noted in my OP most of my DVD players do have a DARKER black level setting and it works great, the problem is things like VCRs, Tivos and other line output devices lack such a setting.

5. Yes I'm thinking I might need something like the Lumagen Vision series video processor you mentioned, do you have a link or source for them and do they have S-video or just composite inputs/outputs?

I don't really need to change things like color/tint or really change things like sharpness, brightness would be a must and contrast would be nice.

Years ago(in VCR days) I use to use Vidicraft video processors(consumer products) but they were only composite and Vidicraft doesn't seem to be around anymore.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 18
Please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Randy
post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sent :)

Jeff

post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 14
I have got a Key West Big Voo Doo BVTBC10 Time base corrector with proc amp controls and i believe there is IRE set up in that. It has S-video connections. I will have a power supply for it this week and will test it out and let you know how it goes.

Maybe look at Kramer Electronics, they might have something too.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Cyclone82, let me know.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page