Seiki's U-Vision Upscaling HDMI Cable at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278

I stopped by Seiki's suites at the Venetian to see what the company had to offer in terms of UHDTVs, and while I was there I saw a pretty cool new product. The company has a new HDMI cable that upscales HD content to UHD resolution; it's Technicolor certified and usies a Marseille Networks processor!

Seiki's Vice President of Marketing openly admitted that the companies first UHD offerings did not feature good-quality upscaling. This years models do, but Seiki is offering the new upscaling HDMI cable for free to owners of older UHDTVs made by the company. However, the new cable (which does require USB power to operate) can be used with any brand of UHDTV that doesn't offer top-notch upscaling. I witnessed a demo of the new cable and while I was able to pick out the native UHD content, the upscaler did a great job with 1080p content.

For anyone who needs something longer than the cable's six-foot length, Seiki offers a stand-alone HMDI cable adapter that features the same functionality—just supply your own cable at the length you need and you are in business.

The new cable was an unexpected but welcome surprise from a company that shook up the world of UHDTVs with its hyper-aggressive pricing.

Seiki is offering the new upscaling HDMI cable for free to buyers of its older UHDTVs

The new cable features Technicolor-certified upscaling

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did they say when the cable will be available? and in your opinion how did the demo look.
post #3 of 44 Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 414
The cables will be available first to Seiki owners (all current 4K Seiki owners will be sent one cable per TV for free), then in March/April they will be selling these cables for US$40 MSRP.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

The cables will be available first to Seiki owners (all current 4K Seiki owners will be sent one cable per TV for free), then in March/April they will be selling these cables for US$40 MSRP.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I'm wondering if David or anyone else can confirm some additional details?

1. Do we need to have registered our TV with Seiki to get the free cable? I purchased my 39" UHD from Amazon a few months ago and I want to make sure I'm on the list to receive the free cable, but have not yet registered with them.

2. Any additional information yet about a date? If the cable will be available to the general public in March, are we to assume that current owners could be receiving the free cables sometime in February?

3. I'm also curious to know how this will work with gaming consoles or other non-native 1080p content. Some sources (BD players/Xbox One/PS4) are upscaling to 1080p signal to the TV, even though native resolution of games/media is 720p (or 900p in some cases). I'd like to know if it will take an already upscaled 1080p signal from the source and then upscale it again to 4k?

Thanks!

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #5 of 44 Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The VP is currently in China, once he's back I'll give him a call. For sure, however, you will need to register the purchase with Seiki. Also he told me that in the case that the stock is not enough to cover their current 4K TV clients, they will NOT start selling the cables to the public.

post #6 of 44 Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

The VP is currently in China, once he's back I'll give him a call. For sure, however, you will need to register the purchase with Seiki. Also he told me that in the case that the stock is not enough to cover their current 4K TV clients, they will NOT start selling the cables to the public.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and registered on their website, please keep us posted if you find out anything more.

post #7 of 44 Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
are these available yet for new owners of seiki 4k tv's?
post #8 of 44 Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Not yet. End of February is the target release time.

post #9 of 44 Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Not yet. End of February is the target release time.

Any new news to share? I registered on their website a couple weeks ago, but have not been contacted yet. I wouldn't even mind paying for a cable, just curious if they pushed back the anticipated release date. Thanks!

post #10 of 44 Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately my emails have not been replied by Seiki either frown.gif sorry.

post #11 of 44 Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
today on amazon.. for delivery 3/14 SU4KC1 4k upconverting got 2 , a few cables left today 03/12 0245
also SU4KB1 listed as temp out of stock (4k upconverting female- female usb powered hdmi adapter)
post #12 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 12
Got there adapter not the cable version, it didn't seem to work from my laptops HDMI port what setup do I need or do I need a blue ray player? Will it even work playing mp4 files or other video formats or only blue ray discs? There's no specs on how to set this up seems to only work with DVD players and what players does it work with my laptop is a bit older a Toshiba l675d I'm getting video but no upscaling could it be my cables or HDMI port on the computer, what does this adapter work with the best is my question otherwise I see no improvement.
post #13 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM

have you tried lowering the the refresh rate to 24hz to let the adapter do the upscaling? That works with my test with the cable anyway. Another problem is the drivers of your video card may not be compatible with this adapter yet. This is a issue that could be addressed with ATi or Nivida.
post #14 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM

lowering the refresh rate under display properties I see I'll try that thanks
post #15 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Omg think its working dude the display is actually showing the setting when I hit seikis remote 3840x2160 24 hz does that mean its working can I raise the refresh rate as long as I stay under 30 and what else can I try to see if its working thinking it is from the detail in a video or would you recommend a good software media player bsplayer ext?
post #16 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Bsplayer potplayer act what would recommend as well as a codec?
post #17 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM

I glad that works!! As far as media players I use VLC it seem to work with most media files. If you know of one better please let me know of one. Did you read the review my friend and I did did on the cable?
post #18 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Seem to be getting some banding artifacts maybe the codec?
post #19 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Yeh that was great I'm testing it but it actually shows on screen when I hit display setting on remote 3840x2160 24hz what other test can I do and does it up convert or upscale all media formats.Also can the se55 later be upgraded to above 30hz for 4k thanks man.
post #20 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Have a 2160 pure file I was trying to play but my computers to slow maybe a new codec or player will soon be out tried media player classic using various codecs but mos I can get is around 20fps probably video card awaiting a new media player such as nuvola np1 hope Seiki has one out I even got there sound bar at a great price I'm impressed with the TV top quality and good prices.
post #21 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Remember that all current 4K panels with the exception of Dolby Vision(10-12 bitcolor) are 8bit color so banding will be a problem. I think with the extra detail it a good trade off. When talking to Seki this will be addressed in the Seiki Pro Models.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-vision.html
post #22 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM

:)You’re about to read a review by a great team: a Home Entertainment Enthusiast and a Veteran AV Designer/Installer. When my business phone got a call out of the blue from Maurice Samuels a couple of weeks ago, I thought, “Hey, who is this guy, and how does he know about an important piece of gear that I don’t know about?” But soon after talking with him I realized he was really on to something. Maurice invited me to test, analyze, and review a very interesting product he had come across while perusing CES 2014 articles online.
You see, Mr. Samuels had just purchased his 2nd Seiki 4K television a when he read the CES blurb on this specialized interconnect, so he called the company and asked where he could get one. They just up and sent him one in the hopes that, as an enthusiast, he would give the product a favorable review when it hit Amazon. But that wasn’t enough for Maurice. A smart man knows when to ask for help, and particularly who to ask for it. Wanting his review to have some legitimacy and impact, he called me. I’ve been designing and installing home theaters for over 25 years and have just begun to venture into “4K-Land” myself. (CEDIA last fall in Denver was all about 4K and Wi-Fi networks.)
I met Maurice at his home and he quickly got into demonstrate this amazing (and amazingly inexpensive) product. He put a Blu-ray disc on his player, the Colin Farrell remake of Total Recall – a well-mastered product with a lot of detailed moving CGi cityscapes in the background (the big flying car chase scene in particular) and connected the new Seiki U-Vision HDMI Cable between the player and his stunning 60” Seiki LED 4K TV. The 6’ Seiki U-Vision HDMI Cable has a chip inside one of the elegant connector ends (the end with the USB power-insertion dongle) that not only “talks” to both the TV and the player in machine language but finds the suitable up-conversion frame refresh rate that maximizes image quality.
I can honestly say that the cable actually created detail where none previously existed and made the movie look as if it were mastered in 4K. Apparently the chip does this by comparing one frame to the next and previous a one and literally fills in a ton of perfectly relevant information that is stunningly spot on. Since there’s a dearth of 4K programming available currently, if you happen to step up to a 4K screen you will definitely benefit from running movies through this remarkably affordable device that is worth every inexpensive penny.
This review by Radames “Rod” Pera [...] and Maurice Samuels - San Diego, CA. NOTE: Computer users to get cable to work with video card be sure to set your video cards refresh rate to 24hz this will let the cable or Adapter do the upscaling.
post #23 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM

How to smooth out some of the banding or horizontal lines that flicker most likely my older video card? Also I'm unsing a standard HDMI cable going into the adapter and the blue sieki HDMI cord that came with TV set going out just trying to optimize for best quality for now altho my system is slow its working but need to refine it could this 55 inch se55 have a firmware update to push the refresh rate above 30 hz for 4k or 30 hz going to be the most for the the se55uy04
post #24 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM

is there a firmware update for the 55in? please give me a link if there is. I use 50in for a monitor and the 55in for PS4 gaming and movies
post #25 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Zoomplayer I'm getting no banding or artifacts so far
post #26 of 44 Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 AM

No firmware for 55 last I seen but seen some over at overclock net playing around with firmwares not going to try that tho risk messing something up for sure
post #27 of 44 Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I am just waiting for the U-Vision cable to show up, I am going to try it out on my JVC projector. It is not a true 4K projector but it does accept a 4K source and has what is called JVC E-Shift. It is actually a lot better then 1080p. Will be interesting to see how the cable does compared to my OPPO and the PC.

James Reid:D
post #28 of 44 Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 PM

I got me converter the picture quality does look some better but think this thing is only in first gear most all outputs are at a maxof 1.4 hdmeye what happens when we roll up a 1.5 and go to 2.0 hdmeye eye eye capnbligh I can see the hair growing betwixt her thigh gnomesayin.And CactusJack will look like a cactus.
post #29 of 44 Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ WTH?

post #30 of 44 Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Get real Dave we talk in high!!!!!!! Tech all the way to Denver
David Susilo likes this.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version