HDMI splitter for 3D and 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen many discussions on this forum that are similar to the question I have here, but none could be found that really addressed what I'm trying to do.

So, here is my setup:

Bluray player-PS3
Receiver- Onkyo tx-sr706
TV- Samsung 7100 Series

Facts: PS3 is 3D BD compatible. Receiver is NOT 3D compatible. TV is 3D compatible. Receiver is compatible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

I want to be able to watch a 3D movie that is equipped with 7.1 on my TV and sound system. However, some obvious hurdles face me: In order to get the 7.1 audio from the PS3, I MUST use the HDMI (since the optical out only does 5.1 max). However, the second that I connect my PS3 to my receiver via HDMI, I now loose 3D capabilities due to that lack of passthrough compatibility.

What I'm curious if it will work. Get a1 to 2 HDMI splitter. Input=PS3. Output1=Receiver. Output2=TV. This would allow the TV to still get the 3D signal, and the Receiver to still get the 7.1 signal.....in theory.

I'm looking at these 3 different splitters that all claim to be 3D and 7.1 compatible.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1182.html

Can anyone confirm or deny if one of these will accomplish what I'm trying to do here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You can use a Radiance video processor. The normal configuration is to connect Radiance HDMI Output 1 to your AVR and HDMI Output 2 to your display. You can turn off video on Radiance HDMI Output 1 in which case the Radiance will always send blank 1080i 2D video with audio to your AVR. At the same time you can view 2D or 3D video on your display.

You can connect a 1x2 Monoprice splitter to Radiance HDMI Output 2, to drive your two displays.

See "Tech Tip 17 - Using a 2D AVR in a 3D Video System".
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals

Any Radiance video processor except the XD or Mini will do what your want. The XD has two outputs but only supports 5.1 audio. The Mini only has one output.

Best regards,
Randy Freeman

support@lumagen.com
post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Woah! That is one expensive gadget. Well over $1k. You are right, that would do what I want, however, at that price, I'd just get a new receiver.

I was drawn to the monoprice splitter due to the low cost.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Liked: 18
There are many other advantages to add a video processor to your system, such as much better calibration tools and improved video quality. But it is much more expensive than a Monoprice HDMI splitter.

You could also consider purchasing a new more modern 3D capable receiver. Some of the latest receivers have lots of nice internet and video streaming capabilities.

Randy Freeman
post #5 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre170 View Post

Woah! That is one expensive gadget. Well over $1k. You are right, that would do what I want, however, at that price, I'd just get a new receiver.

I was drawn to the monoprice splitter due to the low cost.

Understand that the splitter will NOT demux the audio. What it will do is split the 1.4 signal and try to send it to both the receiver and display. Unfortunately, it's still 1.4 to the receiver, which will not be able to extract audio, since audio is in different portions of the datastream in 1.3 (regular Blu-ray, cable, etc) and 1.4 3D signals. OTOH, the Lumagen will extract the audio and send it to the receiver in a 1.3 format, as Randy mentioned. So you'll have that as well as the superb video processing, grayscale and CMS adjustments it offers.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying it.

Give my current budget, it looks like my best solution is to do the PS3 optical out for audio on 3d BD....I guess the little bit of audio quality lost will have to be an acceptable loss....for now.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre170 View Post

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying it.

Give my current budget, it looks like my best solution is to do the PS3 optical out for audio on 3d BD....I guess the little bit of audio quality lost will have to be an acceptable loss....for now.

You do have another less expensive alternative for 3D Blu-Ray playback: one of the two-HDMI-output players from Panasonic or Sony. They are made with your situation in mind in that one output can be configured to output 1.3 7-channel audio while the other outputs the 1.4 3D signal.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

True. Any recomendations as to what model Panasonic or Sony to get......budget again is key.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, as I happen to be a fan of their players. Don't really know much about the Sonys, except that they do make a 2-output model.

One thing to keep in mind with the two-output players, is that if you have an HDMI cable between the receiver and display, you'll need to disconnect it when playing 3D Blu-Rays. Otherwise, since the receiver passes along the display's 3D-capable EDID, the player will "see" an HDMI 1.4 display on each output and not do the audio extraction and reconfiguration to 1.3 spec that you bought it for...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
post #10 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Great info! Thanks again!
post #11 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre170 View Post

I want to be able to watch a 3D movie that is equipped with 7.1 on my TV and sound system. However, some obvious hurdles face me: In order to get the 7.1 audio from the PS3, I MUST use the HDMI (since the optical out only does 5.1 max). However, the second that I connect my PS3 to my receiver via HDMI, I now loose 3D capabilities due to that lack of passthrough compatibility.

What I'm curious if it will work. Get a1 to 2 HDMI splitter. Input=PS3. Output1=Receiver. Output2=TV. This would allow the TV to still get the 3D signal, and the Receiver to still get the 7.1 signal.....in theory.
Did you succeed with this?

You could try a cheap $10 HDMI splitter from ebay as that is not really a lot if it does not work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-in-2-out-H...item461c6707df

post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post
Did you succeed with this?

You could try a cheap $10 HDMI splitter from ebay as that is not really a lot if it does not work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-in-2-out-H...item461c6707df
No, I never did have success, but I never did try any of the cheap ones. Everything I gathered from this forum and others is that any of those cheaper switches will default to the "lower" of the two items connected. So, if one output was connected to 3D TV, but other was to non 3D audio receiver, the system as a whole will default to the lesser of the two....the non-3D. To get the desired effect I was looking for was going to cost quite a bit to get that type of switch.....more than just buying a new receiver.

My current solution: Since I don't have or watch many 3D blu-rays (yet), My PS3 is connected to my receiver as it always has been and sends the normal 2D HD signal AND HD audio with no problem over HDMI. When I want to watch a 3D movie, I connect my TV directly to my PS3. I then connect an optical autio out to my PS3 and connect to my receiver. Although I don't get HD audio, I still do get pretty damn good audio. Seeing that I don't watch many 3D movies, this cable swapping method was a very cheap and workable solution for me.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre170 View Post
No, I never did have success, but I never did try any of the cheap ones.
Personally, I would give the $10 splitter a go because it is a powered unit and sends the signal independently to both ports. It should not be a bother to you as you only want one side to do audio.

I have one on order for a different reason - for a HDCP problem but I will give it a go as per your setup as I have a PS3. My amp is 3D compliant but I will just use it to see if can I get the DTS-HD MA out ok through the splitter while the other side goes to the TV.

Should have it next week so will let you know if it works.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM

you want the nsplitter pro mkII - which forces the EDID to match the highest common deonominator, so that the lesser equipped unit in the chain can still operate

thats exactly what i bought to use with my 3d PJ and 7.1 AVR to co-exist with my 2d stereo 2.0 tv - works a treat

i am in the uk, so ordering it from europe was quite quick, i think it was about £60, so maybe $100-110 in your money

HTH
Reply Video Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page