Your processor has arrived - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, that GUI teaser looks magnificent, Tom. I especially appreciate the non-windows look, which i consider crucial for the professional setup-top box look and feel of the application (e.g. TT player). All setup and operational functions should be accessible through a structured menu system like that, given the whole operation a consistent, easy-to-navigate touch.

Looking forward to more details
Bjoern

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivolicious
Have I missed any pricing information? The only real info that I have seen seems to come from Dan (the competition) saying that the card couldn't be less than 1k.

-Steve
Nope. The retail price is $895. The Early Adopter price is $695.

Yes, we will pick from various configs to ensure we have a wide sample of users.

Tom Strade
post #183 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The Early Adopter price is $695.

Excellent!!!

mark

Top Home Theater's I hope to see: The Bland's
Art's and my buddy Steve Bruzonsky! And Oneobgyn if I ever make it to NorCal!
post #184 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

"The only real info that I have seen seems to come from Dan (the competition) saying that the card couldn't be less than 1k."

I hope I said it couldn't me much less than $1K, which the retail price isn't.

I must admit that $695 is an excellent early adopter price, if the software is well developed out of the gate. Tom might lose his shirt, but it's an excellent price. :D

Bjoern: Why don't you clue me in short-form on your findings? dschmelzer@sdisilk.com. Thanks!

Dan
post #185 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

$695! Where do I sign up?

-Dylan
post #186 of 390 Old 08-08-2002, 11:11 PM

I WANT TO SIGN UP ALSO!!!!!

Sorry.... to much excitement... in one day... :):):)

Regards,

Do visit my theater ....

And check out my other passion....
post #187 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tom,

Nice price.

One comment on the UI - it's really beutiful, but plasma owners might not be so pleased with such a visible UI that could cause burn-in. You should think about how to pervent burn-in with a static UI.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #188 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Holy wow, Tom! $695 early adopter, eh? I must give that very, very serious consideration, indeed.

Add another voice to the chorus: "Yes, MPEG daughtercard."

I really don't have the space for an external DVD player, nor do I want one given how much the HTPC seems ready to take over.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #189 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 01:22 AM

Hi Tom.

Something I am not sure you answered is if your new card is able to handle correctly video formats other than NTSC ?
For Pal or Secam, is the signal at output of the card 576P when using DCDi deinterlacing AND DScaler ?

In your UI, is there a menu to select video format (is it in Picture menu) ?

Regards
post #190 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 02:00 AM

Tom,

Where we can buy the Card us?, The European guys!!!
post #191 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurent Garnier
Hi Tom.

Something I am not sure you answered is if your new card is able to handle correctly video formats other than NTSC ?
For Pal or Secam, is the signal at output of the card 576P when using DCDi deinterlacing AND DScaler ?

In your UI, is there a menu to select video format (is it in Picture menu) ?

Regards
Yes, there will be a format selector - probably under the input menu for NTSC/PAL/SECAM selection.

Tom Strade
post #192 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nachin
Tom,

Where we can buy the Card us?, The European guys!!!
I have a couple of Euro distributors lined up. I'll be trying to sort out the early adopter program with them this coming week.

Tom Strade
post #193 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 07:03 AM

Tom,

Who are the "Euro distributors"?

Will you be posting here or seperately in the HTPC forum on who they are and what the process for early adopters will be?

Steve
post #194 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

This is to cool, how do I sign up as an early adopter! I am just starting to put a HTPC together, just got all the parts together and hopefully will be getting a Denon DVD-3300 that was promised to me. Also have a Mike Parker moded card on the way. This would be the prefect test of installation and ease of use for a HTPC newbie!
John
post #195 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I would like to be an early adopter as well - I think I will qualify to be included in the 'wide sample of users' since I'll putting it on a Celeron 366.

Currently with the 366, I'm running Greedy LM, since HM gives me 15 DFS. So I'm looking for a (good and cheap) hardware solution for deinterlacing.

So, Tom, please let me know when the early adopter program starts.

Thank you.

Ciao.
Muljadi Budiman
post #196 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Tom,

Nice price.

One comment on the UI - it's really beutiful, but plasma owners might not be so pleased with such a visible UI that could cause burn-in. You should think about how to pervent burn-in with a static UI.
Hmmm...I'm confused by this. The menu disappears when its not used. Or do you mean the Holograph background? That will likely not be seen anyway and it will also be a changeable/removable .bmp even if it were bothersome.

Tom Strade
post #197 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

When do we get more teaser shots?:) Any possibility of a PDF copy of the manual or anything?

Gary

post #198 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

I want one too! Where do I sign up???

post #199 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tom,

What I mean is that the menu text should "overlay" images (like seethrough station logos). Video should be visible at all times on every pixel on the screen.

I hope this is clear.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #200 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Tom,

What I mean is that the menu text should "overlay" images (like seethrough station logos). Video should be visible at all times on every pixel on the screen.

I hope this is clear.
I believe what he is trying to say is that he would alpha blending ;) (Which I really don't think is going to happen)

-Steve

I wonder what that a*^ is
post #201 of 390 Old 08-09-2002, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually it is possible with VMR. But until DirectX 9 ships neither WinME or Win2k could benefit from translucent menus since VMR support won't be available on them until DX9. Of course, XP has VMR already and we are using it for XP.

BTW - just curious, but what does the Rock+, Leeza, Native Rate, Vigatec, etc. use? Are any of them doing alha blending? I really don't know since its been a while since I've seen them.

Short answer - we can and probably will add alpha blending once DX9 ships. There is an outside chance we could have it for XP users before that.

Tom Strade
post #202 of 390 Old 08-10-2002, 12:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tom,

The Rock & LEEZA used semi transluscent menus (menu background was one pixel on, one off) and the text moved slightly (to prevent burn-in).

The menus were also not on all the time, the OSD only popped up when you use it and drops back down.

On HTPC, the problem is more complex, because you have the windows desktop and you actually have to launch something.

The ultimate HTPC would be one where you would just see the TV/DVD and then the OSD would alpha blend (thanks for your help, Tivolicious, in correctly describing what I was after) the menus - so there's never anything static or burn-in potential.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #203 of 390 Old 08-10-2002, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ofer. Good feedback. We will look at implementing some form of alpha blending as soon as possible.

Tom Strade
post #204 of 390 Old 08-10-2002, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tom,

It doesn't have to be "real" Alpha blending - multiplying the org. pixel with the overlaying menu pixel might be in order...

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #205 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 04:31 AM

Will this card support 525i inputs ? Will we obtain 576p signal after the 2200 chip treatment ?
post #206 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it can.

However, I must admit we ran into a problem this morning with PAL as we have started testing some more. We hope to have this fleshed out by the time we ship the early adopter cards.

All of the chips are capable of autodetect and the Fli2200 does convert to 576P and the Conexant does pass 576P. The issue I think we are having right now is that of autodetect - worse care scenerio for early adopters is that we will fall back to manual selection until we sort things out.

Tom Strade
post #207 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 07:51 AM

Hi Tom Strade

Could you please explain us if your card needs the installation of a special driver, and if it is the case which version of Windows will be compatible ?

Will your "software" that sends Philips chip output and/or DCDi chip output to the Connexant chip be upgradable ?

Laurent - DScaler team
post #208 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Tom Strade

Could you please explain us if your card needs the installation of a special driver, and if it is the case which version of Windows will be compatible ?

Will your "software" that sends Philips chip output and/or DCDi chip output to the Connexant chip be upgradable ?

Laurent - DScaler team
We're pretty sure we will be OK with Windows XP/2k/ME. They are all different so we are focusing on XP right now. But we have tested in graphedt with 2k/ME and Dscaler so I'm pretty sure we can offer all three day one.

The firmware in the on board FPGA is upgradeable and currently loads with the drivers - so any updates will be seemless and load after you download new drivers as they become available from us. Of course, the user interface itself is also upgradeable.

Tom Strade
post #209 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 11:58 AM

Thank you Tom for your explanations.

It is a good thing that your firmware is easily upgradable. I hope you will find the problem with Pal and that the detection for Secam will be ok too.

Is your driver a WDM driver ? And can we already say that your card will not be usable with Windows 98 First Edition (my current OS) ?

Laurent
post #210 of 390 Old 08-11-2002, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Tom for your explanations.

It is a good thing that your firmware is easily upgradable. I hope you will find the problem with Pal and that the detection for Secam will be ok too.

Is your driver a WDM driver ? And can we already say that your card will not be usable with Windows 98 First Edition (my current OS) ?

Laurent
The drivers are WDM drivers. And we are not going to support Win 98 at all. If you can make it run, then thats OK too. But the three OSes (XP/2K/ME) mentioned are enough of a handful already! :)

I probably should not have said anything about the PAL - its really a non-issue I'm sure. Again, the Philips, Fli2200, and Conexant all claim to auto-detect the format. My only point above is a) we do need to work on PAL/SECAM, and b) the format selection may have to be done by you in the menu versus automatically at first.

Tom Strade
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page