Darbee Darblet vs. Oppo 103D vs. Darbee DVP-5100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Darbee Darblet vs. Oppo 103D vs. Darbee DVP-5100

I've trolled the official Darbee Darblet and Oppo 103D threads on here, and to some extent the issues I will present here are addressed, but I'm finding it difficult to keep track and summarize.

I have a 65" 3D Plasma (Samsung), and my current BD player is the Sony BDP-S5100, also used for streaming Netflix. All sources into a Yamaha RXA-800 AVR. I have long considered purchasing an Oppo, and recently started learning a bit more about Darbee processing, which I'm interested in.

In any situation, I think I would likely want to run my cable box through the Darbee processing, which I understand you can do using the Oppo as well.

Based on what I've read, the following 2 statements are my basic thinking on the decision of which "box" (as my wife likes to refer to everything in my system) to add:

1) If I was going to buy both an Oppo 103 AND a Darblet, then it makes practical and monetary sense to just purchase the combined 103D.

2) If I just want the Darbee effect, with no Oppo, then it probably makes sense to wait for the release of the new DVP-5100CIE, given it resolves known possible "handshake" issues, not to mention it looks better in the rack (not just a plastic box). But it will cost more

Is there something that I am missing? Will the DVP-5100 have other benefits and/or features that would make it and a separate "regular" Oppo a better choice than the Oppo "D" version?

Thanks in advance.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Just to throw this in you decision-making: Whether you use the Darbee feature or not, the OPPO 103D is preferred over the regular 103 because it replaces the problematic QDEO processing chip (which adds non-defeatable DNR to HDMI output 1) in favor of a superior VRS chip.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Just to throw this in you decision-making: Whether you use the Darbee feature or not, the OPPO 103D is preferred over the regular 103 because it replaces the problematic QDEO processing chip (which adds non-defeatable DNR to HDMI output 1) in favor of a superior VRS chip.

Good point, forgot about that.

EDIT: Will the new Darbee 5100 standalone do anything more or significantly better than the Darbee functionality within the Oppo? Don't know what the final price on the 5100 will be, but based on the crowd-funding special price of $499 US, I don't expect this will be much less expensive (if much at all) than the Oppo 103D. So, all things being equal, the Oppo would then be essentially "free"

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Oppo BDP-103D

Last edited by AC2011; 07-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 929
But you already have the Sony S5100 which is already an excellent BD player and streamer for the price. Just run everything through your receiver and send the output of that through the Darblet before going to the display.

I've been running two Darblets for almost two years now and they have worked great with the dozens of devices I've used with them.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-15-2014 at 08:13 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
But the question is, how much is the retail price of darbee 5100? if it cost so much, better buy 103D and sell ur Sony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But you already have the Sony S5100 which is already an excellent BD player and streamer for the price. Just run everything through your receiver and send the output of that through the Darblet before going to the display.

I've been running two Darblets for almost two years now and they have worked great with the dozens of devices I've used with them.

Thanks. I think I am slowly coming to that same conclusion; although the lure of the Oppo is like a siren's song....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
But the question is, how much is the retail price of darbee 5100? if it cost so much, better buy 103D and sell ur Sony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya, no idea what the Canadian street price will be. If the "pre-order" price was $499 US, I am guessing the final Canadian price is going to be at least something like $549...plus sales tax, of course - I can buy an Oppo 103D for $629 plus tax....

But, maybe I don't absolutely need the 5100; will the existing 5000 do me just as well? Definitely less expensive, and might be able to get an open box or even a used one off Ebay (5000, that is). Is the 5100 simply an even more glorified version of the box made last year by Salt, called the Halite? I can actually still get one of these, it appears, for only $50 more than the basic Darblet.

Oppo BDP-103D
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW, a Canadian retailer is now listing the 5100CIE for a "pre-order" price of $499 Canadian (before tax & shipping).

So, for comparison sake, the price of each unit (before tax & shipping, if any) would be:

- Darblet (DVP 5000) - $299 - $319
- DVP 5100CIE - $499
- Oppo 103D - $629

So, here is my (rambling) thinking:

Although I would really like to just go for the Oppo, I don't know whether I can justify the cost (to you know who), especially when I don't truly need a new BD player, given I have the Sony player.

I really like the aesthetics of the new 5100 - but, for about $200 more, is there going to be any appreciable functional "upgrades" over the Darblet?? Will the Darblet be discontinued (ie. no support from manufacturer), I wonder?

And, finally (?), if I decided to go with the 5100, for only $130 more, would it make sense for me to just say what the hell and go for the Oppo? (I did get the Sony player essentially "free" with credit card points, so I'm not really out any cash) Or might the 5100 have some tricks that even the Oppo D's don't have - in terms of the Darbeevision, that is.

Oppo BDP-103D
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

bump - anybody?

Oppo BDP-103D
Reply Video Processors
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com