Upscaling at the Source Device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upscaling at the Source Device

I am a newbie here. So please bear with me.

Here is what I understand about upscaling (i.e 1080p to 4k) =>
1. There are 2 parts: source content/device and TV/monitor that can do 4K (native resolution)

2. For TV/Monitor part, currently modern 4k capable TVs have upscaling algorithms implemented so that they can take lower resolutions such as 1080p and convert/upscale onto 4k to fit its native resolution. BUT there are only a few TVs that can take 4k input signal such as (somebody said) JVC xxx model

3. For source content/device part, there are some players/devices that can output 4k streams. Currently, there are no 4k capable source discs but people use hard drive based contents as temporary measure

Questions =>
1. Assume that my TV/monitor is 4k capable. SPECIFICALLY, it can take 4k input source but it does NOT have upscaling algorithms implemented. In other words, if it receives 1080p, it will only occupy 1920x1080 portion of 4k space

2. Given #1 , for upscaling to work, the upscaling algorithms/conversion will have to be done AT the source device. Of course, source content is 1080p. Othersiwe, I don't need to ask these questions

3. Question #1 : Do you recommend any device/player that will do what is said in #2 ?

4. Question #2 : Imagine this source device is a Windows 7/Vista PC, how can I implement this? Somebody mentioned about ffdshow. Any other ways?

5. Question #3 : Imagine this source device is a Linux PC, have somebody figured out a way to accomplish this?

6. Here are some posts from this forum that I thought are useful:
Does 4k upscaling really do anything?
upscaling standard dvd movies to 1080p using ffdshow and your htpc

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm no 4K expert but allow me to correct some misconceptions in your post.

Your understanding #2 seems to conflict with question #1 .

I believe all modern 4K displays can accept 4K input signals, though they might be limited to 24Hz.

Every modern 4K display has internal scaling that can scale any input signal to 4K.

The question then becomes, which device has higher quality scaling -- the source device or the display? The differences are likely to be tiny or even insignificant.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeap, definitely conflicting points. It makes sense that every 4k TV must accept 4k content. For your 2nd point, I am sure you are correct in that all modern 4k display will have internal scaling.

But for the sake of my question, lets assume that the TV can't do internal scaling. The scaling has to be done at the source player. What is very likely is this player is a workstation running Windows or Linux. So my original questions #2 and #3 remains.

To visualize and spice up my post for easier understanding, I created a diagram below. In the diagram, I want the scenario with the red player device.
Attached Images
File Type: png Upscaling Scenarios.png (10.7 KB, 5 views)
Reply Video Processors

Tags
upscaling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page