Forum Jump: 
post #31 of 52 Unread 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I was actually thinking the exact same about you. Anyway, my Review will be published tomorrow.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery ..LOL

you mean your 3rd review..LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Unread 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1408497752098

Here's a "My Take" on the 4K Mini. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to send me a PM.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 52 Unread 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looks like a "wait for the firmware update" product. I wonder what kind of result you would get sending a 4K signal from the Mini to one of the JVC pixel shifting projectors? I have the 4910.
post #34 of 52 Unread 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought one, i will test it next week (4K Samsung TV with 1080p sources + Radiance XD)
post #35 of 52 Unread 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuch2k View Post
I bought one, i will test it next week (4K Samsung TV with 1080p sources + Radiance XD)
This will be an interesting result. Can't wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 52 Unread 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
@ MOFO
FWIW joerod is an important asset to us HT Nuts & has contributed way more than the Average AVS'er on these forums !!!!
post #37 of 52 Unread 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does this do scaling for those of us with anamorphic lens?

post #38 of 52 Unread 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post
@ MOFO
FWIW joerod is an important asset to us HT Nuts & has contributed way more than the Average AVS'er on these forums !!!!
Appreciate the kind words. I haven't been on as much this past summer with my Mom's battle with ALS. I am planning a few Reviews this fall. The 4K Mini was not planned and I felt it deserved a good mention.

post #39 of 52 Unread 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM

New firmware iScan Mini 01.02

Thanks to all on this thread that have been helping us troubleshoot any initial launch issues. Seriously, products are always better with intense review.
New firmware - in the process of posting on our website but thought those on this thread would want it early.
http://www.personalizedstitches.com/...i_FW_01.02.zip
(Sorry for strange website - its my wife's and only place I have to stash stuff like this - it will be on DVDO website in next couple days as well)

* Adds option to enable de-interlacer specifically for 1080i input (enables 1080i in EDID as well)
* Adds support for 50Hz inputs
* OSD now supported at SD resolutions
* Fixed bug: Video loss when switching back and forth between SD and HD
* Fixed bug: Improper EDID creation - symptom, no video when used with some video processors
* Fixed bug: Improper resolution and color space reporting on info screen
* Fixed bug: General instability issues

As always, we actively seek input and bug reports to improve products.
post #40 of 52 Unread 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDO View Post
Thanks to all on this thread that have been helping us troubleshoot any initial launch issues. Seriously, products are always better with intense review.
New firmware - in the process of posting on our website but thought those on this thread would want it early.
(Sorry for strange website - its my wife's and only place I have to stash stuff like this - it will be on DVDO website in next couple days as well)

* Adds option to enable de-interlacer specifically for 1080i input (enables 1080i in EDID as well)
* Fixed bug: Improper EDID creation - symptom, no video when used with some video processors

Thanks! So if I read this correctly, the iscan mini will now convert 1080i to 4k60p?
post #41 of 52 Unread 08-29-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDO View Post

Thanks, I will test it ASAP !

Just a couple of issues of the 1.01 version not mentioned in the 1.02 release note :

In the manual, for certain pattern there are some errors :

- Brightness & Contrast : The picture is not good regarding the pattern displayed on the screen. The bars in the black and white blocks are inverted (The Max luma and +1IRE are not at the good place, same thing for the blacks)

-Color 8 bars 75 : The grey bar of the left is missing on the pattern displayed on the screen. Only 7 bars are displayed and not 8

Deep color :

- With Deep color enabled from the source (10 or 12 bits), it take a very long time to display a picture on my screen (Samsung UHD TV). About 30s. In 8bit, it's more or less 5s.

- No picture when switching from "No Scaling" to "Auto Scaling" sometimes.

Hope it helps !

Last edited by deuch2k; 08-29-2014 at 01:41 AM.
post #42 of 52 Unread 08-29-2014, 01:39 AM

Some couple of questions :

- When the iScan mini upscale to 4K does the patterns (like 1 Pixel checkoard) are some 1080p upscaled or in 4K original resolution ?
Si do you have specific patterns for each resolution ?

- For deinterlacing, do you use standard algorithm (Bob or weave) or some enhanced of DVDO like the one in the EDGE or DUO ? Does it works with 1080i/50Hz too ?

Thanks !
post #43 of 52 Unread 09-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picture not what I was expecting.

Newbie here and just got the Iscan mini for use with a Sony 55X850A 4K TV. Does the latest firmware now allow a 1080i input to be scaled to 4k now?

So far I have only been able to scale the 1080i signal from directv to 1080p and with some of the enhancements available, the picture is not looking that good at all. Seems better if the scaling is off completely which kind of defeats the purpose of this as I do have a Darbee that makes the picture look better then the enhancements available in the mini. Maybe my expectations were a little high.

Any input or feedback on settings to try would be appreciated.
post #44 of 52 Unread 09-06-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I haven't tried the update yet, but I have been using it for about 3 weeks with my JVC RS49. The only problem I have with it is that when I'm watching 4K60, the JVC cms is not usable. This however is not a dvdo problem, it's the JVC. I really like it. Been watching hdtv and it look as clean of some blu rays. Really a nice addition. I'm using the Oppo 103D. At 4k60, the clear black is disabled. This feature acts similar to the darbee, so it is not too big of a deal. The DI also does not work at 4K60, I would not use it with sports but I would with my tv series. For the clearer picture, I still like, even though the clear black, cms, and the DI is disabled on my JVC. I am going to try later this weekend to spend my JVC 1080p at 60hz and see how it looks with the eshift scaling and all the enhancements I can use on my JVC compared to the dvdo scaling.
post #45 of 52 Unread 09-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just a thought... You can get a used VP50 for about the same price and it does a lot more. We have one and it still works great.
post #46 of 52 Unread 09-07-2014, 03:35 AM

Some issues with the 1.02 firmware :

- I've created 2 user memories with different settings (for user 1 +4 and +3 for Edge and Detail Enhancement). I set the Enhancement to User 1. Every time i power on the mini, the User 1 memory is recalled, but all the settings are the High settings (+ 8 for Edge and Details enhancement for example).
I've to recall User 1 every time after Power On. A little annoying

- Very long time to have picture with 10 or 12 bits Deep Color output from the source. 8 Bits is fine.

- 1080i@50 is not de-interlaced. Only 1080i@60 is de-interlaced. De-interlace quality is very bad. A lot of jaggies on the picture

- Sometimes blue screen appears without interaction of the remote of something else. During a movie for example ... I've to shutdown everything (display, source, mini) to retrieve a picture

- Capture EDID show errors (for example when i capture EDID 2160p@24 is not reported as supported, but it works ...)

- IR Receiver from Monoprice (piece mentioned in the manual) doesn't work ... So are you sure it's the right model (Monoprice use a 3.5 stereo plug, and the majority of device use a 3.5 mono plug ...)

Last edited by deuch2k; 09-07-2014 at 06:52 AM.
post #47 of 52 Unread 09-12-2014, 01:35 AM

Hello DVDO guys, someone is here ? No reply for my (and from others) questions / issues ...
post #48 of 52 Unread 09-12-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am using the same exact IR Receiver from the manual and from 22 feet away it works perfectly fine. You may have a defective one?

post #49 of 52 Unread 09-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I am using the same exact IR Receiver from the manual and from 22 feet away it works perfectly fine. You may have a defective one?
Possible ... but i can't test it with an another equipment

I've seen something in the comment :

"
It may be an incompatibility issue with the device as this is a single band IR receiver. It will not work with dual band IR devices, unfortunately. "

So maybe it's my case because i'm in Europe and does the remote is the same than US ? I've heard about different standard for IR between US and EU. Can DVDO confirm me that is the same remote/code/IR band or something else please ?

Last edited by deuch2k; 09-13-2014 at 01:26 AM.
post #50 of 52 Unread 09-16-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Extra Patterns

Does anyone notice there are extra test patterns with the device not listed in the documentation? I am able to select grey 10% - 100% IRE which is great for calibration of course. I have firmware 1.00. Do I lose these patterns in firmware 1.02 ?
post #51 of 52 Unread 09-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhed View Post
Does anyone notice there are extra test patterns with the device not listed in the documentation? I am able to select grey 10% - 100% IRE which is great for calibration of course. I have firmware 1.00. Do I lose these patterns in firmware 1.02 ?
Can you backup this firmware ? With the Mini it's possible to upgrade AND downgrade the firmware

I'm pretty sure i've not seen any grey pattern with 10 IRE step in the 1.01 and 1.02 firmware ...

Last edited by deuch2k; 09-16-2014 at 07:06 AM.
post #52 of 52 Unread 09-18-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
grey 10% step patterns lost from 1.00 to 1.02 !

I upgraded from firmware 1.00 to 1.02 and I lost the 10% grey step patterns ! Am downgrading asap as I can use the mini as a source for calibration.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List