AVS Forum banner

DVDO iScan Mini

79K views 468 replies 83 participants last post by  luvforce 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any review of it on the web, does anyone @ AVS have one? How is it compare to Darbee Darblet?

#2 ·
I have one. I should be able to get a little review online this weekend.

I wouldn't compare it to a Darbee though. It's more like a simplified version of the Edge, with many features removed and a few new ones added. If you like DVDO's scaling engine that's certainly a good thing. On the other hand the removed support for deinterlacing (480i and 1080i) is really weird - after all 1080i is still *THE* broadcast standard in the US, isn't it ?

#3 ·
Hello Fudoh,

Can you tell us about scaling quality of the mini (and general PQ quality :)) ?

I'm interested to use it with my Lumagen Radiance XD to my UHD TV to avoid scaling of my TV (Samsung F9000).

I think this product is to use with EDGE or DUO to have a kind of "upgrade" in 4K (for output only of course)

#4 ·
If you liked DVDO's scaling in the past, you'll like the Mini. It's considerably rougher than Lumagen's scaling engine, but this said, with a little adjustment of the detail enhancement, especially the upscaling of HD resolutions looks pretty good. So far I only tried 720p to 1080p. On the weekend I'll be able to try 1080p to 4K, but I got a pretty good idea about what to expect already.

Street price is around $220 from what I can tell. For owners of 4K TVs that's a solid investment.

#6 ·
Any idea how the iScan compares to the upscaled in Sony sets? From what I've heard, the recent Sony's do a good job of upscaling. I'd be more interested in the DVDO if it was capable of switching multiple HDCP 2.2 sources, but that's a few years off I suppose

#8 ·
I own a lot of Dvdo gear I have had nothing but problems with this product
way too many communication problems leaving "no signal" floating around
on the screen I have tried multiple TV's and commercial displays with this unit
and it has the same problems on every one.

the firmware is from 2008.:eek:

#9 ·
I own a lot of Dvdo gear I have had nothing but problems with this product
way too many communication problems leaving "no signal" floating around
on the screen I have tried multiple TV's and commercial displays with this unit
and it has the same problems on every one.

the firmware is from 2008.:eek:
Have you tried swapping the HDMI cables? Also, presumably the ancient firmware date is simply a bug in the file properties?

#11 ·
Here's my Review on Amazon:

Maybe it's luck but I so far have had nothing but a good experience with the Mini thus far. I am using it with a Sony VPL VW1100ES. Upscaling DirecTV to 4K while watching preseason NFL football has never looked so clean. The Ring Suppression has worked wonders. I have tested it with a few different broadcasts and going back and forth between 4K and pass through has shown me the proof in the pudding. Numbers on their jerseys and the score boxes look so clear. Their VRS Clearview chip is the real deal! I tested Blu-ray 3D and it worked fine too. Blu-ray at 1080p/24 passes through without a hiccup. I also use a DVDO Duo and an Oppo 103D and all work fine together in the same chain... Using the IR extender from Monoprice they recommend (model 8060) also makes life waaaaaaay easier from your seat. Lastly, the EDID setting will really come in handy for those skittish TVs that don't know what type of signal they can accept. Finally, the bigger the screen the better the evidence of just what this little black box can do. We have a 133" curved screen and sitting front row or back row you still get an amazing image! The DVDO Mini has found a home here which is shocking considering I was expecting to return after reading the first couple Reviews.

Attachments

#12 ·
I should have knocked on wood. I went to turn every thing on just like before and could not get it to show an image for the life of me. I finally got lucky after 45 minutes or so. I plan to try again tomorrow and if it does the same it will go back. I don't want to risk the 30 day period waiting for a firmware

#20 · (Edited)
this is exactly why I waited 3 weeks to write a review,the instability is terrible ,it's a shame because the upscaling that comes from this unit is awesome when it works,I know for a fact that the problem
is going to be resolved I am currently working with their engineers to fix the issue(S) I am going to
use this product on a business level to upgrade display quality on a product I manufacturer .DVDO has assured us the problem will be resolved ,As an engineer myself I trust their word, I have used their products in the past and they all have been stellar.

#13 ·
So what is the feeling about this product ?

I've a UHD Samsung TV, doest is worth the price to "replace" the UHD upscaling of my TV (F9000) by the DVDO Iscan Mini one ? I've a radiance XD (only output at 1080p) so i thought that it was a good deal to "upgrade" my scaler with this additional component ... But now i'm not so sure ...

Thanks for your answers :)

#14 ·
I have no doubt they will fix any and all issues that are currently with the unit. I have to say it is definitely great at upscaling to 4K. I have tried countless Receivers, Blu-ray players and a couple other scalers and from what I have seen so far the image is pristine. Comparing 1080p with the upscaled 4K with football the difference is quickly discernible.

#33 ·
Looks like a "wait for the firmware update" product. I wonder what kind of result you would get sending a 4K signal from the Mini to one of the JVC pixel shifting projectors? I have the 4910.

#39 ·
New firmware iScan Mini 01.02

Thanks to all on this thread that have been helping us troubleshoot any initial launch issues. Seriously, products are always better with intense review.
New firmware - in the process of posting on our website but thought those on this thread would want it early.
http://www.personalizedstitches.com/iScan_Mini_FW_01.02.zip
(Sorry for strange website - its my wife's and only place I have to stash stuff like this - it will be on DVDO website in next couple days as well)

* Adds option to enable de-interlacer specifically for 1080i input (enables 1080i in EDID as well)
* Adds support for 50Hz inputs
* OSD now supported at SD resolutions
* Fixed bug: Video loss when switching back and forth between SD and HD
* Fixed bug: Improper EDID creation - symptom, no video when used with some video processors
* Fixed bug: Improper resolution and color space reporting on info screen
* Fixed bug: General instability issues

As always, we actively seek input and bug reports to improve products.

#40 ·
Thanks to all on this thread that have been helping us troubleshoot any initial launch issues. Seriously, products are always better with intense review.
New firmware - in the process of posting on our website but thought those on this thread would want it early.
http://www.personalizedstitches.com/iScan_Mini_FW_01.02.zip
(Sorry for strange website - its my wife's and only place I have to stash stuff like this - it will be on DVDO website in next couple days as well)

* Adds option to enable de-interlacer specifically for 1080i input (enables 1080i in EDID as well)
* Adds support for 50Hz inputs
* OSD now supported at SD resolutions
* Fixed bug: Video loss when switching back and forth between SD and HD
* Fixed bug: Improper EDID creation - symptom, no video when used with some video processors
* Fixed bug: Improper resolution and color space reporting on info screen
* Fixed bug: General instability issues

As always, we actively seek input and bug reports to improve products.

Thanks! So if I read this correctly, the iscan mini will now convert 1080i to 4k60p?

#42 ·
Some couple of questions :

- When the iScan mini upscale to 4K does the patterns (like 1 Pixel checkoard) are some 1080p upscaled or in 4K original resolution ?
Si do you have specific patterns for each resolution ?

- For deinterlacing, do you use standard algorithm (Bob or weave) or some enhanced of DVDO like the one in the EDGE or DUO ? Does it works with 1080i/50Hz too ?

Thanks !

#56 ·
The included patterns are native to the resolution that is currently selected. Unlike some of out other test equipment products like AVLab, the current resolution of Mini is dependent on your display and the scaling settings. But the 1 pixel checkerboard (every other pixel) is native 4K when the output resolution is 4K. If you experience something different please let us know. Some patterns (like color bars) are built dynamically based on resolution from a table and some (like the every other line or pixel or ramps) are mathematically derived real time based on resolution.

Regarding deinterlacing, this one is unique to iScan Mini. We just added a feature to allow the user to control whether our deinterlacer is used or the 1080i format is passed to the display to be deinterlaced.

#43 ·
Picture not what I was expecting.

Newbie here and just got the Iscan mini for use with a Sony 55X850A 4K TV. Does the latest firmware now allow a 1080i input to be scaled to 4k now?

So far I have only been able to scale the 1080i signal from directv to 1080p and with some of the enhancements available, the picture is not looking that good at all. Seems better if the scaling is off completely which kind of defeats the purpose of this as I do have a Darbee that makes the picture look better then the enhancements available in the mini. Maybe my expectations were a little high.

Any input or feedback on settings to try would be appreciated.

#44 ·
I haven't tried the update yet, but I have been using it for about 3 weeks with my JVC RS49. The only problem I have with it is that when I'm watching 4K60, the JVC cms is not usable. This however is not a dvdo problem, it's the JVC. I really like it. Been watching hdtv and it look as clean of some blu rays. Really a nice addition. I'm using the Oppo 103D. At 4k60, the clear black is disabled. This feature acts similar to the darbee, so it is not too big of a deal. The DI also does not work at 4K60, I would not use it with sports but I would with my tv series. For the clearer picture, I still like, even though the clear black, cms, and the DI is disabled on my JVC. I am going to try later this weekend to spend my JVC 1080p at 60hz and see how it looks with the eshift scaling and all the enhancements I can use on my JVC compared to the dvdo scaling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.