Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVDO iScan Mini

I haven't seen any review of it on the web, does anyone @ AVS have one? How is it compare to Darbee Darblet?

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have one. I should be able to get a little review online this weekend.

I wouldn't compare it to a Darbee though. It's more like a simplified version of the Edge, with many features removed and a few new ones added. If you like DVDO's scaling engine that's certainly a good thing. On the other hand the removed support for deinterlacing (480i and 1080i) is really weird - after all 1080i is still *THE* broadcast standard in the US, isn't it ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Fudoh,

Can you tell us about scaling quality of the mini (and general PQ quality ) ?

I'm interested to use it with my Lumagen Radiance XD to my UHD TV to avoid scaling of my TV (Samsung F9000).

I think this product is to use with EDGE or DUO to have a kind of "upgrade" in 4K (for output only of course)
post #4 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you liked DVDO's scaling in the past, you'll like the Mini. It's considerably rougher than Lumagen's scaling engine, but this said, with a little adjustment of the detail enhancement, especially the upscaling of HD resolutions looks pretty good. So far I only tried 720p to 1080p. On the weekend I'll be able to try 1080p to 4K, but I got a pretty good idea about what to expect already.

Street price is around $220 from what I can tell. For owners of 4K TVs that's a solid investment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post
If you liked DVDO's scaling in the past, you'll like the Mini. It's considerably rougher than Lumagen's scaling engine, but this said, with a little adjustment of the detail enhancement, especially the upscaling of HD resolutions looks pretty good. So far I only tried 720p to 1080p. On the weekend I'll be able to try 1080p to 4K, but I got a pretty good idea about what to expect already.

Street price is around $220 from what I can tell. For owners of 4K TVs that's a solid investment.
Here's the new DVDO iScan Mini Unboxing video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #6 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Any idea how the iScan compares to the upscaled in Sony sets? From what I've heard, the recent Sony's do a good job of upscaling. I'd be more interested in the DVDO if it was capable of switching multiple HDCP 2.2 sources, but that's a few years off I suppose
post #7 of 68 Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I've got one. I plan to start checking it out soon with my Sony 1100ES and DVDO Duo.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #8 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I own a lot of Dvdo gear I have had nothing but problems with this product
way too many communication problems leaving "no signal" floating around
on the screen I have tried multiple TV's and commercial displays with this unit
and it has the same problems on every one.

the firmware is from 2008.
post #9 of 68 Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFO 13 View Post

Have you tried swapping the HDMI cables? Also, presumably the ancient firmware date is simply a bug in the file properties?
post #10 of 68 Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Not a bug,not a cable problem, having said that I am hopeful the issue will
be resolved soon,I have a good feeling there will be a firmware update
coming, their tech support is awesome.
post #11 of 68 Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here's my Review on Amazon:

Maybe it's luck but I so far have had nothing but a good experience with the Mini thus far. I am using it with a Sony VPL VW1100ES. Upscaling DirecTV to 4K while watching preseason NFL football has never looked so clean. The Ring Suppression has worked wonders. I have tested it with a few different broadcasts and going back and forth between 4K and pass through has shown me the proof in the pudding. Numbers on their jerseys and the score boxes look so clear. Their VRS Clearview chip is the real deal! I tested Blu-ray 3D and it worked fine too. Blu-ray at 1080p/24 passes through without a hiccup. I also use a DVDO Duo and an Oppo 103D and all work fine together in the same chain... Using the IR extender from Monoprice they recommend (model 8060) also makes life waaaaaaay easier from your seat. Lastly, the EDID setting will really come in handy for those skittish TVs that don't know what type of signal they can accept. Finally, the bigger the screen the better the evidence of just what this little black box can do. We have a 133" curved screen and sitting front row or back row you still get an amazing image! The DVDO Mini has found a home here which is shocking considering I was expecting to return after reading the first couple Reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	209809  

post #12 of 68 Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

I should have knocked on wood. I went to turn every thing on just like before and could not get it to show an image for the life of me. I finally got lucky after 45 minutes or so. I plan to try again tomorrow and if it does the same it will go back. I don't want to risk the 30 day period waiting for a firmware

post #13 of 68 Old 08-15-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So what is the feeling about this product ?

I've a UHD Samsung TV, doest is worth the price to "replace" the UHD upscaling of my TV (F9000) by the DVDO Iscan Mini one ? I've a radiance XD (only output at 1080p) so i thought that it was a good deal to "upgrade" my scaler with this additional component ... But now i'm not so sure ...

Thanks for your answers
post #14 of 68 Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuch2k View Post
So what is the feeling about this product ?

I've a UHD Samsung TV, doest is worth the price to "replace" the UHD upscaling of my TV (F9000) by the DVDO Iscan Mini one ? I've a radiance XD (only output at 1080p) so i thought that it was a good deal to "upgrade" my scaler with this additional component ... But now i'm not so sure ...

Thanks for your answers
I have no doubt they will fix any and all issues that are currently with the unit. I have to say it is definitely great at upscaling to 4K. I have tried countless Receivers, Blu-ray players and a couple other scalers and from what I have seen so far the image is pristine. Comparing 1080p with the upscaled 4K with football the difference is quickly discernible.

post #15 of 68 Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I have no doubt they will fix any and all issues that are currently with the unit. I have to say it is definitely great at upscaling to 4K. I have tried countless Receivers, Blu-ray players and a couple other scalers and from what I have seen so far the image is pristine. Comparing 1080p with the upscaled 4K with football the difference is quickly discernible.
I just picked up one. You sold me on the darbee and 103D. So, I trust you know what is a good piece of equipment.
post #16 of 68 Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I just picked up one. You sold me on the darbee and 103D. So, I trust you know what is a good piece of equipment.
It's Ringing Suppression really sold me. And you can't beat the price! Just make sure you get that remote extender they mention from Monoprice. I already had one lying around from when I tried it with the first Darbee I had. Didn't work so I just kept it.

Also, of you have handshake difficulties contact dvdo and they will hook you up. I am working on a "my take" and let them know to be on guard for a few new owners who may need assistance.

post #17 of 68 Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just read a review that this unit doesn't deinterlace 1080i. What the hell??
post #18 of 68 Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can at least now send in 1080i.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	215521  

post #19 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
It's Ringing Suppression really sold me. And you can't beat the price! Just make sure you get that remote extender they mention from Monoprice. I already had one lying around from when I tried it with the first Darbee I had. Didn't work so I just kept it.

Also, of you have handshake difficulties contact dvdo and they will hook you up. I am working on a "my take" and let them know to be on guard for a few new owners who may need assistance.
Do you need the remote for it to actually work? I didn't read that I needed it. Hopefully I can get it shipped to me soon. It was a good price. Even tho I have the JVC X500, I can use the 4k60 mode and see how the ringing helps. There's no season like football season and I have my nfl ticket already ordered.
post #20 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I should have knocked on wood. I went to turn every thing on just like before and could not get it to show an image for the life of me. I finally got lucky after 45 minutes or so. I plan to try again tomorrow and if it does the same it will go back. I don't want to risk the 30 day period waiting for a firmware

this is exactly why I waited 3 weeks to write a review,the instability is terrible ,it's a shame because the upscaling that comes from this unit is awesome when it works,I know for a fact that the problem
is going to be resolved I am currently working with their engineers to fix the issue(S) I am going to
use this product on a business level to upgrade display quality on a product I manufacturer .DVDO has assured us the problem will be resolved ,As an engineer myself I trust their word, I have used their products in the past and they all have been stellar.

Last edited by MOFO 13; 08-17-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #21 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Do you need the remote for it to actually work? I didn't read that I needed it. Hopefully I can get it shipped to me soon. It was a good price. Even tho I have the JVC X500, I can use the 4k60 mode and see how the ringing helps. There's no season like football season and I have my nfl ticket already ordered.
You will definitely want to use the remote to adjust the parameters. It's a nifty little OSD. Plus with the different settings you will want to A/B some to see which looks best with your pj.

post #22 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Actually the file is from 2008 but the actual firmware is not.

post #23 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
this is exactly why I waited 3 weeks to write a review,the instability is terrible ,it's a shame because the upscaling that comes from this unit is awesome when it works,I know for a fact that the problem
is going to be resolved I am currently working with their engineers to fix the issue(S) I am going to
use this product on a business level to upgrade display quality on a product I manufacturer .DVDO has assured us the problem will be resolved ,As an engineer myself I trust their word, I have used their products in the past and they all have been stellar.
I've beta tested for DVDO back in the day so I am confident issues will be resolved. I reported a few suggestions and one more slight issue with the latest I am working with firmware wise. It definitely is 90% to 95% stable at this time. Heck, depending on your equipment it most likely will work with most common components.

post #24 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I've beta tested for DVDO back in the day so I am confident issues will be resolved. I reported a few suggestions and one more slight issue with the latest I am working with firmware wise. It definitely is 90% to 95% stable at this time. Heck, depending on your equipment it most likely will work with most common components.
NOPE ........won't work,,but our engineering teams are working towards
a solution it will be resolved soon.
post #25 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
NOPE ........won't work,,but our engineering teams are working towards
a solution it will be resolved soon.
The unit I have worked all day today. Not sure where "Nope" comes into the equation. I have taken many screen shots and plan to post a small write up on my site this week.

post #26 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM

[quote=joerod;26656073]The unit I have worked all day today. Not sure where "Nope" comes into the equation. I have taken many screen shots and plan to post a small write up on my site this week.[/quot

Your the one that said you should have knocked on wood not me so nope must have been
involved at some point.
post #27 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM

There should be a new firmware coming soon making great progress
with the team at DVDO.
post #28 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

By "team" you must mean Ken. I sent him some videos today shedding some light on a few component conflicts. And I am not working for dvdo this was done as freelance work.

post #29 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
By "team" you must mean Ken. I sent him some videos today shedding some light on a few component conflicts. And I am not working for dvdo this was done as freelance work.

you have an abnormal psychological desire to be important
and significant ,very strange..
post #30 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was actually thinking the exact same about you. Anyway, my Review will be published tomorrow.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page