Issue with HDMI to RCA Converter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Issue with HDMI to RCA Converter

I'm currently working on a DIY ambilight setup as described in this article. In order to do the frame grabbing, the HDMI signal is split, converted to RCA (NTSC or PAL) and fed into a USB capture card connected to a raspberry pi. I'm currently using the same setup except I'm using the primary output of my receiver connected to the TV and secondary HDMI out to the converter which is the HDMI2AV mini converter, though I've tried splitting the primary signal as well. As soon as I connect the converter, the video source autodetects a resolution change and scales the output video to 480p, thus I see a 480p image on my TV. I was under the impression that the converter should look like it can receiver 1080p video and should downscale it to NTSC or PAL. Also, it doesn't seem to make a difference if the converter is connected to power or not. Perhaps it's simply a defective unit? Anyone have experience with this device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Several possibilities:

1) First, HDMI can supply limited power to a device. That's probably why it still works with the power supply unplugged.

2) HDCP may be kicking in. If the source device sees a non HDCP compliant device in line, it will downrez to 480P. It doesn't matter if the second device is 1080P capable.

3) It is a lot simpler in hardware to convert 480p to 480i than to down sample 1080P to 480i. Your low cost converter may be telling the source to output 480p to make it's job easier.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
converter , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page