Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 191 Old 09-10-2002, 12:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damon - download their catalog,

They're introducing a scaler (HD-LEEZA), a matrix switcher, new transcoder (not exactly sure what it is), a scaler card for Pioneer plasmas, and a scaler card for Meridian 800. All the scaler cards are based on the HD-LEEZA design.

The matrix switcher can work as a YPbPr switcher for any scaler or any distribution system. I think it's an 8 input -> 3 output switcher (not 100% sure about that, I'm working from memory).

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 191 Old 09-10-2002, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ofer:

I went over pharris’ comments in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=7

where he answered the question about scaling. He maintains the panel does all scaling, with or without the 5002 video card, so that means to me inputs 1 and 2 will scale with the HD Pixel card.

Michaellucky:

My question is about the HD Pixel card. I should have posted this is in the other thread. Assuming that scaling works as described by pharris, the only question is if the HD Pixel card will enable inputs 1 and 2 to be set to component. The ability to support component is provided by the 5002 card. Without it, you can only use RGB devices with PC signals.

Thank you.
post #93 of 191 Old 09-10-2002, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jim,

We're reading the same content, but reaching completely different conclusions.

What I'm reading from what pharris says is that the internal scaler of the Pioneer works on all inputs. To me, that suggests that inputs that are not directly on the HD pixel card are likely to be scaled only through the internal scaler, and not through the HD pixel card.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #94 of 191 Old 09-10-2002, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ofer:

I agree that inputs 1 and 2 will be scaled internally by the plasma and the KD card will scale whatever is directly attached to it.

I originally posted on this to point out to rabident that he has the option to connect more than one HD source by using input 1 or 2 in addition to the HD Leeza’s single HD input. My comment and questions to michaellucky were in context of the HD Pixel card, not the HD Leeza, so I managed inadvertently to get this thread off topic. Rabident doesn't even have a Pioneer plasma, so my ramblings should be ignored here.;)
post #95 of 191 Old 09-10-2002, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Buzz
I need to ask this simple question about the new Leeza. How much better is the new ClearMatrix de-interlacing algorithm? I mean, can it match Faroudja with video?

Thanks

-DB
Hi DB

This question is very subjective and should be answered by INDEPENDENT 3rd party reviewer, not me.

Hi Jim,

The features on the HD Leeza and the HD Native Pixel Card have been changed again, so i can not answer your question. However, if this is of an urgent matter to you, than please mailto:mike@keydigital.com and he will answer all your questions.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #96 of 191 Old 09-11-2002, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Michael,

Any plans to offer an HD Leeza that has RGBHV output w/BNC connectors instead of an HD-15 connector? It would be much easier and cheaper than having to buy a new cable.

Also, same question for the HD/SDTV inputs, BNC over RCA?

-brian

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com
post #97 of 191 Old 09-11-2002, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume their HD input can handle the usual HD formats: it will take evertyhing between 480p and 1080p. What happens if you feed it 480i?
post #98 of 191 Old 09-11-2002, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bwiklem
Michael,

Any plans to offer an HD Leeza that has RGBHV output w/BNC connectors instead of an HD-15 connector? It would be much easier and cheaper than having to buy a new cable.

Also, same question for the HD/SDTV inputs, BNC over RCA?

-brian
Dear Brian

RGBHV will have 5 BNC's. We did not have time to make the change of picture on the site.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #99 of 191 Old 09-11-2002, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
I assume their HD input can handle the usual HD formats: it will take evertyhing between 480p and 1080p. What happens if you feed it 480i?
Dear ianken

HD Leeza can take 480i as well and scale it to Native Resolutions that we list on our site.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #100 of 191 Old 09-13-2002, 07:03 AM

That's not a bad price for all the things this processor can do. Let's just hope the de-interlacing algorithm is much better than the older Leeza.

I live in the short grass.
post #101 of 191 Old 09-13-2002, 07:28 AM

Quote:
That's not a bad price for all the things this processor can do. Let's just hope the de-interlacing algorithm is much better than the older Leeza
As long as reverse Pulldown worsk really good (also on HDTV-Sources...) and the scaling engine works without flaws I will be very happy and this device can be a killer product! I think movies is the main concern, not video-based-material...

Bye

Jan

Never trust a man in a blue trenchcoat, never drive a car when you're dead.
post #102 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Members,

I would like to clarify on 2 component inputs:

1 component input is for SD ONLY and 2nd is for HD.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #103 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 10:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by michaellucky
Dear Members,

I would like to clarify on 2 component inputs:

1 component input is for SD ONLY and 2nd is for HD.
Thank you
One more question regarding your quote. Is the "SD" only input for 480i sources only, or 480p as well?

And the HD input, will it accept the 480p input?

www.16cylinder.com
post #104 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

bwiklem,

Both your questions are quite easily answered by looking at the spec list.

SDTV is only 480i and 576i no matter how you look at it.

HDTV is 480p, 720p and 1080i.

These are the standards as we know them today.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #105 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
bwiklem,

Both your questions are quite easily answered by looking at the spec list.

SDTV is only 480i and 576i no matter how you look at it.

HDTV is 480p, 720p and 1080i.

These are the standards as we know them today.
Not necessarily. First, the spec list needs to be updated, as you can see my previous question regarding RGBHV was answered by Michael and his answer was different than the spec list (and a better answer than the spec sheet).

Second there are varying opinions about where 480p would plug into. Hence why I asked regardless of the spec sheet. There are plenty of other devices that would consider 480p SDTV and not HDTV and vice-versa.

www.16cylinder.com
post #106 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If I send the HD Leeza output from my HTPC over regular DVI, will it be passed through or optionally scaled and then sent out over the RGBHV output ? In other words, can I go HTPC -> dvi -> HD Leeza -> rgbhv -> JVC G15 ?

My projector only takes RGBHV but it would be helpful to keep things digital, when possibly, right up to the Leeza's output.

Also, there were several problems mentioned a while back about Key Digital's transcoders and JVC G15's. Nothing wrong with the KD. Nothing wrong with the JVC. But the 2 just didn't seem to get along. Any chance of a similar bug with the HD Leeza / G15 combo ? Have KD's engineers tested the HD Leeza with a G15 ?

post #107 of 191 Old 09-14-2002, 10:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

bwiklem,

That's correct. The output connection change (5xBNC over VGA connector) is the only change from the spec list, that I'm aware of, and it was done per the request of people from this forum.

480p is not considered SDTV - none of the SDTV standards allow it, nor do most SDTV TVs. Anyway, it's a moot point, we both understand eachother now...

Rabident,

Good question. In LEEZA, they used a complex set of transcoders to convert from one direction to another - in order to transcode from RGBHV to component and vice versa. That meant that HDTV signals would get transcoded instead of just passed through. However, since DVI could not be trancoded to, HDTV signals would not pass throught to the DVI output.

However, they seem to have completely changed the design here. Every input can now be video processed. What I understand from this is that DVI will get scaled up or down as needed. This means you could output RGBHV or DVI independant of what input you are using. The only exception would be RGBHV in passthrough mode (since no processing is involved by definition).

The other caveat to this is HDCP. KeyDigital explained that they will not lend a hand to bypassing HDCP in any way. So, I'm assuming that if the unit encounters HDCP sources through DVI input, it would limit itself to producing only HDCP compliant DVI output and that's it.

I hope I got all that right...

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #108 of 191 Old 09-16-2002, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ofer

Here is what we have with DVI.

All DVI inputs and outputs will be with HDCP. DVI/HDCP input will accept regular DVI 1.0 (old style). If in case DVI 1.0 the output will become 1.0 as well. The monitors with HDCP will also accept both DVI 1.o and DVI/HDCP. The older monitors that are only DVI 1.0 will not accept DVI/HDCP. So this is what we have:

1) Input to HD Leeza is DVI/HDCP from new direct TV STB and monitor is DVI/HDCP: no problem

2) Input to HD Leeza is DVI 1.0 from PC? and monitor is DVI/HDCP: no problem

3) Input to HD Leeza is DVI/HDCP from STB and the monitor is DVI 1.0: problem we can not break the HDCP laws. In this case the only way to use YPrPb input to HD Leeza and output will be DVI 1.0 both in open.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #109 of 191 Old 09-17-2002, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaellucky

Dear ianken
HD Leeza can take 480i as well and scale it to Native Resolutions that we list on our site.
Thank you
Yeah, but can it take 480i and 1080i on the same input? My Pioneer 49TX switches all my stuff, and I have a single componet cable from it. All I want is a box that I can run one cable into and one cable out of and have it to teh right thing.
post #110 of 191 Old 09-17-2002, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
what about:

4) Input to HD Leeza is DVI 1.0 from PC? and monitor is RGBHV: no problem?

post #111 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Ianken -- I am with you on the "many cables in one cable out" issue -- after a bit of research I am reasonably sure that you'll need two cable out -- a DVI cable for DVI in sources, and an RGBHV for everything else. I do not think that it will convert all signals to a DVI type - I'd love to pair this unit with a Sanyo PLV70 as it has a DVI I input - should be a killer combination....
post #112 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 08:47 AM

rabident: no problem - as long as PC is outputting a SD-HD video signal. HD leeza doesn't yet accept standard computer resolutions as a INPUT,( as I understand it) but key digital said they are looking into it, and will possibly add as firmware updates

Schlitzie: No.. Everything that goes into the HD leeza will be scaled up/down or cross converted to the user set resolution output over the DVI output as well as the RGBHV output

the idea is to send whatever SD/HD video signal's you have to the HD leeza, and it will scale ALL OF IT to your native resolution of your display device and send it digitally over the DVI cable
post #113 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Cclear -- thanks! I thought I saw somewhere in the leeza user manual that I had to also run the RGB cable -- the single cable will make for a nice clean install with a really nice signal!
post #114 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 11:29 AM

schiltzie: your welcome :) make sure we are talking about the HD leeza NOT the Digital Leeza.... The Digital leeza was Key digital's scaler they released last year, and it does need both the RGB and DVI for HD/SD signals.. ( it only scaled SD and just passed-through HD -- so the pass through had to be RGB)

ianken: I would really think that if you had both 480i and 1080i as a output and needed that to go into a single input, they would work fine on the HD component input.
( michael can clarify )
post #115 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 11:35 AM

Micheal: you had said a while ago that all the input connectors would be BNC ( component and video inputs anyway)
But this picture from the .pdf shows RCA ????
LL
post #116 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cclear
Micheal: you had said a while ago that all the input connectors would be BNC ( component and video inputs anyway)
But this picture from the .pdf shows RCA ????
Dear Cclear

The pdf is an older version. Since than we had changed the front and back. On our website
http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp..._ID=KD-HD1080P
is the final version of HD LEEZA front panel. Front panel is 8mm thick, and Blue pinpoint LED's, with special grove cuts, as per JLM's special front plates last year. The back panel is correct, accept on the output it will have 5 BNC's vs DB15, as per MEMBERS of the forum recommendation. So no RCA's, it all BNC's, S-video connectors and DVI in/out.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
post #117 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 05:52 PM

Thanks michael :)
post #118 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 07:58 PM

Cclear,

I think Michael has tried to be as clear as he can on the two component inputs (allthough it has been a little confusing).

The SD component takes 480i.
The HD component takes 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

I have emailed Mike Tsinberg (Per Michael's request) to get some more clarification or even a explanation as to why it is set up this way. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm sure both Mike and Michael are busy getting ready for CEDIA.
post #119 of 191 Old 09-18-2002, 08:10 PM

Michael,

what needs to be done to allow 50Hz HDTV input (1080i/720p)? Is it just a lack of test facilities for Australian HD?

GarryH
post #120 of 191 Old 09-19-2002, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Michael:

A few questions. If already answered, apologies.

1. Would you confirm that HD Leeza will accept 480p as well as 480i and scale as desired?

2. Will we be able to create custom resolutions that will result in something like Pioneer Elite's Natural Wide mode - in other words, a little off the top, a little off the bottom, slight horizontal stretch, preferably more stretch on the sides than center if possible - in order to get a 16x9 picture from a 4:3 source?

3. Is the target still to have a final version ready by Cedia, and ready to sell shortly after?

Thanks. Exciting prospects.

Craig
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page