What kind of Processor should I purchase? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What kind of Processor should I purchase?

So currently I have a LG 60" (60pz950) that was calibrated w/ Calman Enthusiast.

I am looking for a way to enhance the video and the color even more than I have already.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500 - $2000.

My goal is to add a video processor to my system to not only scale but give me better color and also so I can learn more about this so when I redo my basement fully I can know what to purchase.

This is merely to hold me over until I redo my basement and to learn.

What would you recommend I purchase to help enhance my video quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell50 View Post
So currently I have a LG 60" (60pz950) that was calibrated w/ Calman Enthusiast.

I am looking for a way to enhance the video and the color even more than I have already.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $500 - $2000.

My goal is to add a video processor to my system to not only scale but give me better color and also so I can learn more about this so when I redo my basement fully I can know what to purchase.

What would you recommend I purchase to help enhance my video quality?
I suspect you are going to have to further define your idea of "enhancing the video and color" before receiving any recommendations. Is your end goal greater accuracy, or enhancement?

The Darbee unit will "enhance" the image depending on your viewpoint, but will not scale AFAIK.

Your budget is a base figure and up to 4X that amount.

What are your needs? You want to learn CMS? This is a far better forum to do that in, with talk of what hardware people use. What are you scaling? 720p? 480i? 240p?

You've essentially asked "recommend me a car from $50,000 to $200,000 that will enhance my driving experience. Temporarily. While I learn."

That's a tall ask. Help us out a little.

Last edited by HDgaming42; 09-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, i guess overall I am looking for education on these devices.

I am looking for accuracy of color. My set currently has CMS and I have calibrated it along with a 10point greyscale. I was looking to take this a step further. After I get the best most accurate picture I want to focus on the scaling.

Did that help or did I just dig my hole deeper?
post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
thanks for the reply, i guess overall I am looking for education on these devices.

I am looking for accuracy of color. My set currently has CMS and I have calibrated it along with a 10point greyscale. I was looking to take this a step further. After I get the best most accurate picture I want to focus on the scaling.

Does the enthusiast level provide graphs? How far off was yours to begin with? Are you below a delta of 3 after calibration?

I don't think it's a great time to be buying a scaler--at least from a future-proofing standpoint. The industry is moving toward 4K, but HDMI 2.0 is just trickling out, and HDCP 2.2 seems to be a bit of a mess ATM.

If you're looking for something to tide you over, a DVDO iScan Duo is the cheapest scaler I know of that includes a CMS that can be automated (you could upgrade your existing Calman software to support automation I believe). It's not nearly as fancy as what the new Lumagen models or an eeColor can achieve, but unless your TV is horrendous I would think that coupled with the CMS in your TV should be able to get you to a level of accuracy you'd be happy with.

For scaling movie or tv content (SD to HD) DVDO units can exhibit ringing, while the Lumagen units don't. On 720p and above this doesn't seem to be as much an issue.

For classic gaming (8 and 16-bit systems) DVDO supports 240p better than Lumagen, but the ringing is objectionable to many without the use of something to re-introduce scanlines. The Lumagen looks very soft by comparison.

Of course this is only one person's opinion. Hopefully others will chime in. This forum is pretty dead unless you're interested in the Darbee or incremental Lumagen updates (at least they update!).

If I had the money or the time I'd probably invest in an eeColor, but that's because I just gravitate to solutions that are obtuse and convoluted. I'm also old-fashioned in the thought that devices dedicated to one particular task are better at it than a general handy-man approach.

When you've exhausted the CMS and scaling fields of interest you may move on to noise reduction. When you do I might have an Algolith Flea available. Powerful bit of kit, but I no longer really watch SD or overly-compressed sources...
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post
Does the enthusiast level provide graphs? How far off was yours to begin with? Are you below a delta of 3 after calibration?

I don't think it's a great time to be buying a scaler--at least from a future-proofing standpoint. The industry is moving toward 4K, but HDMI 2.0 is just trickling out, and HDCP 2.2 seems to be a bit of a mess ATM.

If you're looking for something to tide you over, a DVDO iScan Duo is the cheapest scaler I know of that includes a CMS that can be automated (you could upgrade your existing Calman software to support automation I believe). It's not nearly as fancy as what the new Lumagen models or an eeColor can achieve, but unless your TV is horrendous I would think that coupled with the CMS in your TV should be able to get you to a level of accuracy you'd be happy with.

For scaling movie or tv content (SD to HD) DVDO units can exhibit ringing, while the Lumagen units don't. On 720p and above this doesn't seem to be as much an issue.

For classic gaming (8 and 16-bit systems) DVDO supports 240p better than Lumagen, but the ringing is objectionable to many without the use of something to re-introduce scanlines. The Lumagen looks very soft by comparison.

Of course this is only one person's opinion. Hopefully others will chime in. This forum is pretty dead unless you're interested in the Darbee or incremental Lumagen updates (at least they update!).

If I had the money or the time I'd probably invest in an eeColor, but that's because I just gravitate to solutions that are obtuse and convoluted. I'm also old-fashioned in the thought that devices dedicated to one particular task are better at it than a general handy-man approach.

When you've exhausted the CMS and scaling fields of interest you may move on to noise reduction. When you do I might have an Algolith Flea available. Powerful bit of kit, but I no longer really watch SD or overly-compressed sources...
I achieved delta's under a 3 and I am satisfied with the picture I just wanted to take my tv / movie images to the next level and learn more about them before I invested in a new home theater for my basement. Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

If you've already done 10pt greyscale and primary and secondary CMS, the only thing that will take you further is something like 3d lut calibration, and possibly something like the the Darbee for perceptual contract enhancement. Wouldn't you know it, Lumagen makes a series of products that meet both those needs, although it's a bit higher than your price range:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

I'm sure there are other sellers, I just link to them because they are a reputable vendor.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why not consider to spend your money on Front Projection, since you have a basement. There are quite some good 1080p projectors at price from $1,000 to $2,000 range to choose from. Add in a Darbee 5000 (about $300) and a fixed screen, you will definitely more happier to watch movie than on a 60 inches 1080p TV. In my opinion, 720p is more than sufficient if the diagonal of the TV set is less than 60 inches.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwok lau View Post
Why not consider to spend your money on Front Projection, since you have a basement.
Perhaps you missed the part where he said:

Quote:

and

Quote:
just wanted to take my tv / movie images to the next level and learn more about them before I invested in a new home theater for my basement.
I think an FP system is the kind of thing he's likely to put in when he redoes the basement.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would have a look at a Lumagen, even a s/h mini3d will be able to give you more accuracy. I have written a short article detailing the differences between the LUT capabilities of these units and trying to explain why, even with your delta errors under 3, you are still likely to see a very obvious improvement using the colour management in them. There is an error in the number of points in the 17x17x17. My web guy will fixt that typo over weekend....you'll get the idea though.

have a look here

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page