lumagen mini or dvdo duo for cheap tv? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lumagen mini or dvdo duo for cheap tv?

If I bought a cheaper tv like a 60 inch vizio P series which has a great picture but lousy motion processing would that work well or maybe a 70 inch sharp le 650 model. the cheapest oled is $3499 and you can't find plasmas anymore. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dvdo mini - if you are not considering calibration which you should, mini can do almost everything more expensive processors can do

Dvdo duo - little more control over deinterlacing and allow you calibration on 2d video

Lumagen mini - everything duo does and much advance calibration which works on 3d as well. Dvdo units have severe ringing(halos around sharp transitions), dvdo mini has ringing filter, lumagen units are natively immune

Calibration gives you the most improvement. Incorrect colors and bad contrast is more annoying then a few deinterlacing and scaling artifact(if you mainly watch blurays you won't have these issues)

If your budget is limited, you might want to invest the extra cash on display. Better displays have multi point calibration options available although not as good as the one lumagen units. If the display has inherit motion issues, none defeatable motion processing, these issues may not be remedied with external processing.

Since they stopped making plasmas, I don't even read about tvs anymore. So I couldn't help you on tv selection but the good news is there is way more to choose from when it comes to tvs. Video processor options are limited to few especially on budget.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2015, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanx for the reply, I am leaning towards lumagen 2020 for darbee and calibration and wait for the new tv until later I have a sony xbr hx 929 to practice on until I can maybe get a 70 inch tv next year. mostly I watch direct tv, and weekend blue rays. although the sony does better at deinterlacing 1080i than many other lcd's . would the lumagen make my sony look as good as my old panny gt30 as far as motion and deinterlacing direct tv.?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post
Dvdo mini - if you are not considering calibration which you should, mini can do almost everything more expensive processors can do

Dvdo duo - little more control over deinterlacing and allow you calibration on 2d video

Lumagen mini - everything duo does and much advance calibration which works on 3d as well. Dvdo units have severe ringing(halos around sharp transitions), dvdo mini has ringing filter, lumagen units are natively immune

Calibration gives you the most improvement. Incorrect colors and bad contrast is more annoying then a few deinterlacing and scaling artifact(if you mainly watch blurays you won't have these issues)

If your budget is limited, you might want to invest the extra cash on display. Better displays have multi point calibration options available although not as good as the one lumagen units. If the display has inherit motion issues, none defeatable motion processing, these issues may not be remedied with external processing.

Since they stopped making plasmas, I don't even read about tvs anymore. So I couldn't help you on tv selection but the good news is there is way more to choose from when it comes to tvs. Video processor options are limited to few especially on budget.
Thank you uderman I have done more research on this and the auto-cal thing seems cool. Still looking in to it.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 07:28 AM

I did 4913 point calibration on my 2144. It took me a few tries to get it right. You first have to get your tv adjustments to a point where it will least molest the picture so lumagen can adequately correct colors. I am still learning and each time it gets better.

Once you have the tv all adjusted lumagen is fully automated. End result is amazing. Colors are definitely more accurate and much bettter shadow details in my kuro.

Lumagen support team is number one!!! I reported a few bugs on functions most people will rarely use(like composite inputs) they fixed them in 10 days with the new fw update.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post

Severe ringing? They exhibit some ringing, but wouldn't classify it as severe. And at $700, it is an incredible bargain if you don't need 4k scaling.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 PM

I am comparing it to standalone video processors. Ringing is severe comparing to lumagen and gennum vxp in crystalio 2.

Comparing to anything else its very acceptable. It may even be beneficial on smaller displays as it makes the image sharper.

$700 is indeed a good price. Up to edge and duo, dvdo had similar prices with lumagen.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlikey View Post
Thank you uderman I have done more research on this and the auto-cal thing seems cool. Still looking in to it.
I decided to jump in small I got the dvdo mini and calman basic bundle. when I get the projector or a bigger screen tv I will look into the lumagen and autocal feature. I just wanted thank you for your reply its been very useful in decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page