New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1050Likes

post #61 of 2073 Old 11-17-2015, 01:46 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Why not with Argyll CMS???
Graeme at Argyll has a Radiance to test with but has not made progress on Radiance 3D LUT CMS support last I heard. So, there may be Argyll support for Radiance CMS in the future, but that is up to Graeme.
uderman likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2073 Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Graeme at Argyll has a Radiance to test with but has not made progress on Radiance 3D LUT CMS support last I heard. So, there may be Argyll support for Radiance CMS in the future, but that is up to Graeme.
Thanks Jim, good to hear.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
For Sale Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440/2, see link for details
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post54911046
post #63 of 2073 Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I was wondering how to output 24p source material (Netflix movies) from an AppleTV to my projector & TV going via the Radiance Pro for the best result. Unfortunately, the AppleTV can only output at 50 & 60hz so my question is, can the Radiance Pro recreate a 24p signal from the outputted 1080p60 somehow?

post #64 of 2073 Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Currently, the best streaming device is TiVo. It is the only device that can stream 1080p24 from Netflix, Vudu and Amazon. The newest TiVo Bolt can do Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K is coming soon.

Afaik AppleTv doesn't allow Dolby Digital+ 7.1. It is a cool interface(I use one too) but if you want the best output, it has flaws.

Even Mac computers won't output the true 23.97 frame video, they convert it to 24.00 frame. The hw supports it but the sw doesn't include 23.97 frame rate.

Older Vudu boxes and their new stick supports 1080p23.97 but that only gets you Vudu.

Older Western Digital media boxes also have support for 1080p23.97.

All other including Oppo converts to 59.96 hz.
post #65 of 2073 Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I was wondering how to output 24p source material (Netflix movies) from an AppleTV to my projector & TV going via the Radiance Pro for the best result. Unfortunately, the AppleTV can only output at 50 & 60hz so my question is, can the Radiance Pro recreate a 24p signal from the outputted 1080p60 somehow?
You can set the output refresh rate to 24, at least you can on my XE. I'm not sure I've ever tried it so I'm not sure how smart the Radiance is with it's decimating 60->24.
post #66 of 2073 Old 11-20-2015, 04:44 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We have a Film-Mode 60p to 24p Inverse-Telecine on the list of future features, but it is not in the software yet. So for now with the Radiance Pro you would output these as 50p or 60p as appropriate.
BakeApples likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #67 of 2073 Old 11-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Does the Pro model use the same IR commands as any of the older models if i want to add the device to my Logitech Harmony harmony remote? I tried searching for it in the database but the only options available were the XD, XS and XE. Can i simply use one of these to control the Pro as well?
post #68 of 2073 Old 11-22-2015, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you want 60 2 24p now, you could get an existing secondhand XD/S/E which does do this and daisy chain into your pro. I have done this a lot on my XS

Last edited by Chris5; 11-22-2015 at 02:00 AM.
post #69 of 2073 Old 11-22-2015, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Does the Pro model use the same IR commands as any of the older models if i want to add the device to my Logitech Harmony harmony remote? I tried searching for it in the database but the only options available were the XD, XS and XE. Can i simply use one of these to control the Pro as well?

Yes, all lumagen devices use the same ir commands

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #70 of 2073 Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, all Radiance Models, including the Radiance Pro, have the same IR and RS-232 codes. So you can use the Harmony database codes for any Radiance.

I actually use a couple Harmony One's in my home and the codes work well with the Radiance.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #71 of 2073 Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5 View Post
If you want 60 2 24p now, you could get an existing secondhand XD/S/E which does do this and daisy chain into your pro. I have done this a lot on my XS
Note that the older models have a Film mode for 1080i and 480i sources to 24p output, but this does not work for 60p back to 24p. So you would likely see judder with a 60p "film" source converted for 24p output.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #72 of 2073 Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Yes, sorry, I was thinking 60i to 24p.
post #73 of 2073 Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi folks. Hoping to add a Radiance Pro to go along with my new OLED display and then have Gordon Fraser calibrate it to the nth degree.

One question, I assume the unit runs a fan and if so, how does the sound level compare to say an Oppo spinning a blu ray or a TiVo box when recording? I am mostly concerned about things being ultra quiet when I watch classical blu ray concerts. Is it necessary to keep the 'Pro in a second room?

Thanks, guys!
post #74 of 2073 Old 11-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It was loud a month ago, they addressed this on a recent firmware update. The fan speed is user adjustable now as well. Fpga core temperature is displayed on info screen. Below 90 is recommended and pro hovers around 70 at the speed of 2 out of 10. Speed 3 and below is near silent. They will further tweak and improve on later updates.

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
post #75 of 2073 Old 11-26-2015, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Is the GUI the same with the older models or has it been revamped? If yes, are any screenshots allowed yet, during beta?
post #76 of 2073 Old 11-26-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2004 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post
Is the GUI the same with the older models or has it been revamped? If yes, are any screenshots allowed yet, during beta?
No, it's still a close cousin to a DOS prompt, but it works.

I think a more polished end user menu with the the most oft used settings during viewing would be a nice option as opposed to entering the tesseract every time...
post #77 of 2073 Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

We have released the NDA for technical comments. So Beta owners can post comments and pictures if they would like to.

We now have the FPGA core temperature reading working which gives the Radiance Pro a more accurate reading than external temperature readings. This allowed us to reduce fan speed and the fan is much quieter now.

One small correction: The maximum specified FPGA core temperature (for speed reasons) is 85C. The Pro's plenum is working very well to help keep the FPGA cool, and the FPGA core temperature is below 85C for all fan speed settings in all systems who have reported readings. Settings are from 1 to 10 with 6 being the default. People are finding settings of 3 or 4 are very quiet and provide a good margin for future FPGA power increases that will come as we add more features.
Surfdrifter likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #78 of 2073 Old 11-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the info regarding the fan noise.

It's good to know that the fan has such a range of speed control. Ultimately, the situation I'm aiming for will see everything but the display in a separate room at some point.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from the current beta testers!
post #79 of 2073 Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very quiet in here...and no firmware updates in almost a month.

Anything new - especially from a feature/performance perspective - coming out soon for the Pro?
post #80 of 2073 Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
If you do not have a good local calibrator or are not self calibrating then, if you do want to move the calibration over, then copying the numbers from old file to new one is an option...but a very tedious one i'd say.
Question for Gordon - or anyone else who can help me:

I am picking up my new JVC RS600 projector tomorrow, to replace my current JVC RS57 projector.

I just realized this is the first time I'm swapping projectors while having a Lumagen VP in my system. My current RS57 was calibrated using the Lumagen, so I'd presume that if I simply swap the projectors, the Lumagen will have been calibrated for the old projector, and things won't look right.

So my question is: How do I have my new projector hooked up to the Lumagen (which is doing all my video switching) in a way that bypasses the Lumagen's calibrated settings?

It's been a while since I delved through the Lumagen menu, but I presume my calibrator would have chosen or created a particular picture setting in the Lumagen, and I could somewhere select a different, uncalibrated pathway. But...how?

Many thanks!
post #81 of 2073 Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Question for Gordon - or anyone else who can help me:

I am picking up my new JVC RS600 projector tomorrow, to replace my current JVC RS57 projector.

I just realized this is the first time I'm swapping projectors while having a Lumagen VP in my system. My current RS57 was calibrated using the Lumagen, so I'd presume that if I simply swap the projectors, the Lumagen will have been calibrated for the old projector, and things won't look right.

So my question is: How do I have my new projector hooked up to the Lumagen (which is doing all my video switching) in a way that bypasses the Lumagen's calibrated settings?

It's been a while since I delved through the Lumagen menu, but I presume my calibrator would have chosen or created a particular picture setting in the Lumagen, and I could somewhere select a different, uncalibrated pathway. But...how?

Many thanks!
Easiest way is to reset the CMS and greyscale to defaults for each CMS bank in use.

You turn on service mode
MENU 0 9 1 0

Then navigate to MENU>OUT>CMS and select each CMS bank in use and go to the CMS part and the Greyscale part and reset to defaults, then SAVE.

Obviously this is assuming you are not going to be using the old projector with this scaler again.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #82 of 2073 Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
Easiest way is to reset the CMS and greyscale to defaults for each CMS bank in use.

You turn on service mode
MENU 0 9 1 0

Then navigate to MENU>OUT>CMS and select each CMS bank in use and go to the CMS part and the Greyscale part and reset to defaults, then SAVE.

Obviously this is assuming you are not going to be using the old projector with this scaler again.

Thank you very much Gordon.

I have to make sure: Will those steps only re-set the calibration settings? I have some other settings I wouldn't want to lose - e.g. there is an anamorphic stretch picture mode I'd created, which is part of my remote control macro chain when switching in my anamorphic lens. I presume, also, that re-setting things as you suggest wouldn't alter anything about the video switching (I have all my video sources going through the lumagen).
post #83 of 2073 Old 12-02-2015, 11:42 PM

It is also possible that your old calibrated settings are closer to your new pj than resetting them altogether.
post #84 of 2073 Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have to make sure: Will those steps only re-set the calibration settings? I have some other settings I wouldn't want to lose - e.g. there is an anamorphic stretch picture mode I'd created, which is part of my remote control macro chain when switching in my anamorphic lens. I presume, also, that re-setting things as you suggest wouldn't alter anything about the video switching (I have all my video sources going through the lumagen).
Rich

More than likely most of your CMS slots are untouched, meaning they are at default values (if there is no check mark next to a CMS slot, it has not been used)

You can assign an unused CMS memory slot to your output settings, and leave your calibrated memory location untouched to you can return to it if you need to. You also need to perform a save from the main menu so this new CMS setting will be retained after the Lumagen restarts.

There are many ways to set up a Lumagen, so not sure if he created different calibration settings for different inputs, or (more likely) has a single CMS calibration for all devices. See screenshot from the manual...

If you wanted to globally change all, set the input to ALL, Mem to ALL, and Mode to ALL, and then scroll the the CMS section, and set it to an unused slot (press enter), then exit out to the main menu and save it. You'd have to do this for 2D and 3D separately if you watch 3D.

To do less then global, choose less than ALL in those options...the CMS setting will be applied to whatever combination of settings you select there.

This is just for CMS and greyscale, so no affect on any anamorphic modes or audio settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 2.54.53 PM.png
Views:	257
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	1096186  
post #85 of 2073 Old 12-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the very helpful responses! (I appreciate the info/attachment thrang).

I'll try to work through this when the time comes. At the moment, though, I've managed to just bypass my Lumagen to start checking out Blu-Ray images (using the second HDMI out of my Oppo straight to the projector).
post #86 of 2073 Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Rich

More than likely most of your CMS slots are untouched, meaning they are at default values (if there is no check mark next to a CMS slot, it has not been used)
Lack of a check mark means that it is not currently used, but not that it's never been touched. He should still zero out that CMS slot before assuming it's not calibrated.
post #87 of 2073 Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Quote:
No, it's still a close cousin to a DOS prompt, but it works.

I think a more polished end user menu with the the most oft used settings during viewing would be a nice option as opposed to entering the tesseract every time...
I no longer have my Lumagen (silly move but that is another story) but the primary reason I did not like the unit had to do with the interface and not the performance. And comparing the interface to DOS is an insult to DOS.

I have no interest in having a 3rd party calibrate my projector. But the learning curve based upon the current interface is not friendly to someone with my personality.

Maybe if I decide to move forward (after it is in full release)with this device, I can find someone who lives near by and pay for a day or three of consulting to teach me how to effectively use this product along with CalMan -which I still own but is an old version.

I will stay subscribed to this thread.
post #88 of 2073 Old 12-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Hello, World!

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I rather like the interface. It's utilitarian nature allows me to get the job done without fuss or clutter...

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, JVC Z1, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #89 of 2073 Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very quiet in here...and no firmware updates in almost a month.

Anything new - especially from a feature/performance perspective - coming out soon for the Pro?
We are working on the Menu and data-structure changes. This is taking a lot of time. As part of this we will be updating the Config Reader We have made good progress at this point, and I hope we will have a release that you can download the config from in a couple weeks.

We are trying to allow the CMS memories from older units to be uploaded to a Pro, but other config data from older units may not be up-loadable to Pro.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #90 of 2073 Old 12-06-2015, 06:06 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The reset in the CMS menu only affects the CMS.

In addition in the Save Menu, you can reset specific subsections of the configuration.

Make sure to do a Save after any changes.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page