Closed Thread

post #181 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
Glad to hear you got everything to your satisfaction. I know you've been working on the HD Leeza for some time now trying to get everything right.

I'll actually be using mine with a JVC SX21 D-ILA projector. Can't wait to test out that 1400x1050 res and see how it compares to my HTPC. Hopefully it'll be in my hands by the end of the week.
Dear Jay,

HD Leeza has the Native Rate of 1400x1050 especially for JVC SX21.
Thank you

michael@keydigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaellucky
Dear Alan,

HD Leeza is ready for PRIME TIME! The Fujitsu and DVI issue remains to be seen! We will go to a local Fuji dealer and enable it ourselves in proper set up. If problem persists, we will make a software upgrade.

HD Leeza is VERY solid in HARDWARE and this is the MOST important. All the small software issues are firmware upgradeable in most cases with 48 hours.
Thank you
I didn't say the HD Leeza wasn't ready for prime time...instead, I said the earlier discussion itself was not ready for prime time (since the testers focused only on DVI and the Fuji apparantly was set the wrong way to accept DVI from the HD Leeza). I look forward to a detailed discussion after a real test of the HD Leeza.

Alan
post #183 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 08:18 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can someone post how the HD Leeza performs scaling 1080i to 1080p on a 9" CRT FP?

If no one has access to a 9" CRT feel free to drop off a HD Leezaa to me I will gladly review :)

Lon
post #184 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hang in there. I hope to have one installed on a 9" unit within 7 days.

Gordon

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #185 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

LJG,

There are lots of things to test on this unit. I'd say that this was one of the highest priority tests to conduct on this unit (that + how it stacks up with SDI).

Gordon,

Do you have a switcher that you can demonstrate A-B of 1080i (and take pictures for us, of course)?

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #186 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Ofer:

My only interest in a scaler is HD 1080i to 1080p, I no longer view DVD's.

I am very anxious to see how the HD Leeza stacks up against a Far 5000, and of course the upcoming Asimilator.

Lon
post #187 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No switcher. Ofer sorry. I can rig something probably....somehow.....

Also there is a UK client who will be getting one of first units who has a F5000....and a nice big CRT PJ. I'm sure he'll let us all know what he thinks if he has time.

Gordon

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #188 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
I finally got my HD Leeza which I'll be hooking up to my 1292 this weekend. I also have a DVP5000 which I'm going to do an A/B comparison with @ 1080p to see how good each does HD deinterlacing. I'll post my results and try and borrow a decent digital camera by then to take some pics.

~Ryan

Currently programming my Pronto TSU9600....I think I need some Tylenol.

Now Featuring the Klipsch THX Ultra2 System (Quad KW-120's)
Integra DTC 9.8 / Emotiva MPS-1
post #189 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 11:37 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reg152
I finally got my HD Leeza which I'll be hooking up to my 1292 this weekend. I also have a DVP5000 which I'm going to do an A/B comparison with @ 1080p to see how good each does HD deinterlacing. I'll post my results and try and borrow a decent digital camera by then to take some pics.

~Ryan
Ryan:

I look forward to your post.

Thanks in advance,

Lon
post #190 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
My only interest in a scaler is HD 1080i to 1080p, I no longer view DVD's.
My, what rareified air you must breathe! Considering how little true 1080i movie content is out there (HBO, Showtime, the handful of D-Theather tapes), what exactly do you watch? You mean you refuse to watch Fellowship of the Ring, or Memento, or Mulholland Drive, or Citizen Kane, or [insert 99% of movies that have not yet been shown in HD but that are available on DVD], because they aren't available in HD?

Properly processed film-based DVDs can still look pretty spectacular, even compared to HD. No, they don't hold up quite as well next to HD-Cam recorded hi-def, and the backgrounds certainly lose detail compared to HD, but refuse to watch?

Or do you just watch sports and sitcoms? Really, I'm curious what kind of viewing habits would cause someone to "no longer watch DVDs."

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
post #191 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reg152

~Ryan
Allright, we're looking forward to it! And any tidbits you can throw our way while you are still working on a longer post would be much appreciated!

By the way, what's your impression of the improvement you currently get on HD from the DVP5000? Would a careful viewer who didn't know anything about scaling and de-interlacing be able to notice the difference fairly easily, or is it more subtle than that?

Alan
post #192 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:30 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David F
My, what rareified air you must breathe! Considering how little true 1080i movie content is out there (HBO, Showtime, the handful of D-Theather tapes), what exactly do you watch? You mean you refuse to watch Fellowship of the Ring, or Memento, or Mulholland Drive, or Citizen Kane, or [insert 99% of movies that have not yet been shown in HD but that are available on DVD], because they aren't available in HD?

Or do you just watch sports and sitcoms? Really, I'm curious what kind of viewing habits would cause someone to "no longer watch DVDs."
David F:

In a little over eight months I have amassed a collection of well over 150 High Definition recordings of Movies from HBOHD, SHOHD, and HDNET many, many of which are OAR and DD 5.1, there are also many OAR DD2.0, and many HBOHD Non-OAR DD5.1.

All are eye-popping eye candy.

I have about 60 HD tapes I have not had a chance to view yet including Road TO Perdition, Harts War, A Beautiful Mind and many many others,

So while I have not seen Fellowship of the Rings, I did catch Mulholland and Memento on DVD as this was watched prior to eight months ago.

Bottom line my HD library is fully stocked and I am recording 5-10 a week, so until you see Gladiator, or Patriot in HD on a g90u calibrated by WM Phelps you will not understand why I no longer choose to watch DVD's.

If I could quote William Phelps when I showed him the Gladiator tape, "now I know why you don't watch DVD's anymore".

Lon
post #193 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess my lowly NEC 9PG calibrated by Chuck Williams will just have to suffice for now. But it's a shame that someone with your system doesn't appreciate film more, instead of the display technology.

I guess it's an attitude similar to audiophiles who have a $70k system but only listen to 30 or so recordings because everything else just isn't recorded to their "gold standard." I'd rather watch a movie, even if it's lowly DVD, if I don't have any other way of seeing it. But hey, to each his own.

P.S. I would bet William Phelps still watches DVDs on his G90.

David Forbes

My theater
post #194 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
...In a little over eight months I have amassed a collection of well over 150 High Definition recordings of Movies from HBOHD, SHOHD, and HDNET many, many of which are OAR and DD 5.1, there are also many OAR DD2.0, and many HBOHD Non-OAR DD5.1....
How are you recording these? What's the source and what's the recording device?

Alan
post #195 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
When did this become a thread about A/V snobbery? Calm down man.

The guy doesn't like DVDs. So what? I don't either. I'm just settling for them because they're the best I can get right now aside from the slim HD selection I get via Comcast Cable. DVD is okay, but compared to HD, it's seriously lacking. Until D-Theater has a better selection or HD-DVD becomes a reality, the HD Leeza will maximize the potential of my DVD collection in the meantime.

And that's the point of this thread--the scaling abilities of the HD Leeza (actually, the release date, but that finally seems to have arrived :)).
post #196 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm perfectly calm, I simply don't understand the "DVD is unwatchable" attitude. But as I said, to each his own.

David Forbes

My theater
post #197 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:48 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

David:

You miss the point, I do appreciate film, but I have a finite amount of time to watch all the DVD's in the world.

For instance Mulholland and Fellowship of the Rings most likely will be broadcast in HD over the next year, so I think the "attitude" I am displaying is PATIENCE for the best viewing of these movies.

In referece to a audiophile who only listens to 30 or so "gold standard" recordings what's your point I have a selection of over 150 growing by 5-10 a week, my supply far exceeds my viewing demand.

I also never said DVD's are unwatchable, I only said I choose not to watch them, considering I have an HD tape library.

Lastly, I never said what William Phelps watches or doesn't watch on his G90U, only what he said to me. I would speculate though if I lent him my HD library he would not find much time to watch DVD's.

Lon
post #198 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 12:57 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
How are you recording these? What's the source and what's the recording device?
Alan:

I have two JVC30k DVHS decks, a 169time modified DTC100, and the AVX1.

The above allows me to record HD from HBOHD,SHOHD, HDNET, and of course OTA.

I have 2 JVC30k's so that one is dedicated to recording, and the other is for viewing.

Lon
post #199 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
Alan:

I have two JVC30k DVHS decks, a 169time modified DTC100, and the AVX1.

The above allows me to record HD from HBOHD,SHOHD, HDNET, and of course OTA.

I have 2 JVC30k's so that one is dedicated to recording, and the other is for viewing.

Lon
I'd stick with HD if I were you, too ;)

Alan
post #200 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

David,

I remember a while ago being surprised by the first person that told me he'd never watch cable or satellite and that he's not even hooked up because anything below DVD is plain white noise on his projector.

I was taken off guard and had a similar attitude as yours (Wha?!).

Now, it's a fairly common thing to hear.

FYI, there's a huge amount of DTheater commerce being done in the underground. I'm not quite sure where it's coming from (mostly the far east), but most of it is pristine 1080i of new movies from the far east. I expect most of it was recorded off the air from HD sources down there using some kind of hack or modified receivers. In any case, it's not terribly expensive, the selection is huge and I think we'll hear more and more people like Lon doing this.

I can't help but envy you, Lon, for having the stamina to wait for HD sources.

BTW, I hated LOTR on DVD. I think it was encoded with a low bitrate and the picture was much too soft for my taste. It's a particular dissapointment as I love the film itself and after having watched both LOTR on the large screen, DVD was a dissapointment (yes, it was using a good projector, and using a good scaler). Star Wars AOTC was obscenely 3D and perfect using the very same setup.

Happy Israeli independence day (Israel is 55 years tonight). Just came back from a great fireworks show.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #201 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
...BTW, I hated LOTR on DVD. I think it was encoded with a low bitrate and the picture was much too soft for my taste...
I thought the extended version was a great transfer -- is that the same thing you saw?

Alan
post #202 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ofer,

Did you watch the theatrical cut or extended edition of LOTR? The extended edition is breathtaking on my system (it's spread across two disks and has a pretty high encoding rate). I've heard the theatrical cut left much to be desired, which is why I ask. If you have only the theatrical cut, definitely get the extended edition.

And Happy Israeli Independence Day to you too!

Anyway, back on topic, when will those of us on the upgrade list actually receive the Leeza? Are we talking June now?

David Forbes

My theater
post #203 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Alan and I were posting at the same time. Well, I guess that was obvious. But now I've typed too much to just delete it. Oh, well, wasted post. I'd better be careful or we might fill up the Internet!

David Forbes

My theater
post #204 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Ofer:

I agree, I remember waiting for the Laser Disc release of many movies rather than VHS.

As far as underground DTheater commerce I have not heard of anything like that.

Lastly William Phelps made one more comment that day, "1080i HD provides an image that appears as though your looking through a glass window, properly done 1080i to 1080p produces an image without the pane of glass"

Can't wait.

Lon
post #205 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM
AVB
Advanced Member

David,

The email I received from KD on Friday said the upgrade shipments will start around 15 June. I hope to see one before that though just so I can get an idea of what it can do.

There is no such thing as too much clean power.
post #206 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
DavidF,

I'm in the same camp as LJG; DVDs make my eyes water because they look blurry compared to HD. As an HD early adopter, I manage to find plenty of movies to watch in HD (Fellowship of the Ring being one of them). Many of us on the HDTV Recorders Forum have amassed huge collections of HD movies on hard disk and D-VHS. Yes, HD is rarified air. The HD recording process is strictly a hobbyist sport at this time, but the effort is well worth it. I for one am looking forward to using the HD Leeza with a 9" CRT.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #207 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Alan & David,

No. I never saw the extended version. I thought it might be a better transfer, as they couldn't possibly squeeze the added 30 minutes into the same DVD, so they had to use two DVDs. As soon as you use two DVDs, the bit rate skyrockets compared to the original release.

I am lazy. I'll buy the whole set when all three come out. My kids might be old enough to watch it with me by the time the extended 12 hour final trilogy set comes out...

David,

I heard they are aiming for a full release on June for most customers. However, I believe some people might get early units in beforehand (e.g., LJG) and let us know more information from their perspective.

As each user tests for slightly different things (one person focuses on DVI, another on HD, etc.), the sum of the gathered knowledge will give us a much more comprehensive understanding of this unit.

LJG,

I'm waiting for a format that loses the window metaphore altogether... A while back, I had a really nice idea about how to make a 3D bubble image (a 3D object projected inside a bubble - similar to the communications from the first Star Wars Trilogy). I even started investigating it with some industry people. How sad was I when I found a company that had the very same idea (based on a DLP engine) and were already implementing it. They only had something like 24 colors & a rough resolution (a few hundred voxels on each 3D plane), but it worked! Now, that's a display I would like to have in my home theater. Can you imagine having to refurnish your living room for a 9ft bubble at the center of your living room?

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #208 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 04:54 PM
jlm
AVS Special Member

a main issue I want to see answered:

what happens to an encrypted HDCP 1080i (dvi) source when sent out to a HDCP-capable display via the HD Leeza? the common thought seems to be that the HDLeeza de-encrypts, does its de-interlacing and scaling, re-encrypts, and sends it out. Does that mean the output has to also be a standard HD res, and if de-interlaced by the Leeza (why else have it there), that would mean 720p. Then it gets interesting:
the Marantz has native 720p (but it had issues according to dan)
the pioneer needs to have its dvi "tweaked" by the Leeza to compensate for thr 1280x788 (non-square pixel layout) screen res...how does this fit in?
the Fujitsu is a 768 display, does that mean the Leeza output has to get scaled again (same for the pioneer.

who knows?

john
post #209 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Anyone have a HD LEEZA yet??

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #210 of 263 Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 PM

Yes I have one. It has some problems and is going back to Key Digital tomorrow. They are aware of the problem and will turning it around quickly they say.
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page