Cheap Video Processor with Zoom OUT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheap Video Processor with Zoom OUT

Hey guys,

I need some help please.

I have CIH setup and I leave my projector constantly zoomed out to fill the 21:9 screen. I have black velvet on the top and bottom of the screen to absorb the light spill over. I leave it like this because my projector does not have electronic lens shift nor lens memory.
I need a cheap video processor that will allow me to shrink a 16:9 image from a source to the 21:9 aspect ratio. What I mean is that a 16:9 image would be shrunk to a resolution of around 817x1454, within the 21:9 screen area. Of course, the processor would still output the full 1080p signal, the actual image, however, would take up on that little space of 817x1454.
I realize that the Lumagen processors do this (HDP and up) as well as some of the DVDO ones do (VP50, VP50 PRO, not sure about the EDGE or Duo). These are all about $200-$800 on eBay and do way more than I need.

Is there a cheap processor you all know of that can do what I need? All I need is one DVI/HDMI input and output.

P.S. I really hate starting new threads but I've searched for about 2 hours and I have not found a solution. Your input would be appreciated or direct to where it is already discussed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I know it's only been two days but does no one know or there is no such thing?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It is a niche application unfortunately; I don't think there is anything much else out there.
It is the kind of thing it would be possible to do very badly, so really you want something that is HT focused to be sure you're not losing quality.

Crystalio also had a HT-targeted range of scalers with aspect ratio control. Not sure if it could do zooming out but might be worth looking into, though rarer than the Lumagen / DVDO kit.

A Lumagen can do much more for your picture quality than any of the other options due to the 3DLUT which can give you very close to reference colour across the whole gamut - I'd really recommend one.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I understand. Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2017, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I'm deciding between a used Lumagen HDP or a DVDO VP50. I know the limitations on the HDP (only 24p or 30p input at 1080p) and the other relevant features. However, I keep reading that while DVDO is a better deinterlacer the Lumagen is a better scaler. Given that my primary needs will be scaling would you all suggest the Lumangen over the DVDO?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.
In case it helps you, I've been doing what you want for years with a DVDO VP50 and it does a great job. It is also very easy to use.
The lumagen, is more complicated by what I have heard.
The only thing to keep in mind is its limitation with high definition sound sources. A limitation that the VP50pro does not have.

I hope I've helped.

Greetings.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith967 View Post
Hey guys,

I need some help please.

I have CIH setup and I leave my projector constantly zoomed out to fill the 21:9 screen. I have black velvet on the top and bottom of the screen to absorb the light spill over. I leave it like this because my projector does not have electronic lens shift nor lens memory.
I need a cheap video processor that will allow me to shrink a 16:9 image from a source to the 21:9 aspect ratio. What I mean is that a 16:9 image would be shrunk to a resolution of around 817x1454, within the 21:9 screen area. Of course, the processor would still output the full 1080p signal, the actual image, however, would take up on that little space of 817x1454.
I realize that the Lumagen processors do this (HDP and up) as well as some of the DVDO ones do (VP50, VP50 PRO, not sure about the EDGE or Duo). These are all about $200-$800 on eBay and do way more than I need.

Is there a cheap processor you all know of that can do what I need? All I need is one DVI/HDMI input and output.

P.S. I really hate starting new threads but I've searched for about 2 hours and I have not found a solution. Your input would be appreciated or direct to where it is already discussed!
The zoom button of Oppo players has a x0.5 setup that can meet your expectations. I use it on my 2.35 screen instead of zooming out with the projector to look at the bonus materials.

Last edited by FreMo; 06-07-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreMo View Post
The zoom button of Oppo players has a x0.5 setup that can meet your expectations. I use it on my 2.35 screen instead of zooming out with the projector to look at the bonus materials.
But it just works in Playback mode. Not with disc- or player menus. And you have to press the zoom botton several times through all the different zooming modes. At least with the UDP-203...
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith967 View Post
Hey guys,

I need some help please.

Latest Oppo 203 firmware introduced the 21:9 screen format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page