the future in video Processor is this ( according to the opinion) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-28-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Exclamation the future in video Processor is this ( according to the opinion)

the future in video is this :

1. quality UPSCALE up to 4K

2. bring conversion up to 12 BIT color in 4K

3. movie player that converts from 24FPS to 60FPS/120FPS and makes the movie a Smooth with many details

4. Converts movie or web content to HDR

AMD + Intel are taking out powerful processors with 10 /12 /16 core
and each year they sell less processors

when Intel + AMD will deliver software
bring the improvements in section 1-4 they will sell millions of these processors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Actually I believe the most important part of video processing is color correction. Most of the above are currently being perform to a high degree in new TVs. What the current TVs are not able to do very well is custom color correction ie 3D LUT.

Due to video copy protection, PCs will probably never be used as a video processor.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #3 of 5 Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
Actually I believe the most important part of video processing is color correction. Most of the above are currently being perform to a high degree in new TVs. What the current TVs are not able to do very well is custom color correction ie 3D LUT.

Due to video copy protection, PCs will probably never be used as a video processor.
PCs are used everyday as video processors. They are not typically used as an external video processors.

MadVR supports 3D LUT.. Most recent quality 4K sets do color quite well... only quite modest improvements are to be had by 3D LUT.

I have an older Lumagen XS which made a tremendous difference on a 2011 Mits DLP... on my 2015 78JS Samsung it calibrates well with the internal CMS. A very large 3D LUT would make only a very modest difference and likely not worth the money or effort over the internal CMS.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I agree I meant an external standalone video processor. More in line with the perceived intent of the OP. I will however argue that some top of the line TVs do not have a good CMS. In particular the LG OLEDs. Good grayscale adjustment, however if adjusted too much the CMS introduces artifacts. On mine the primary and secondary colors are off enough to be perceptible.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony BDP_S1700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 92
HDMI hasn't helped this issue either. We've had DisplayPort for PCs for years with way more bandwidth than what's possible with HDMI.
I suspect HDCP does not help either. The protection this provides is easily bypassed for those who it's supposed to hinder, but instead it prohibits practical usage. This was a huge headache for me. All I want to do is play music from my pc while playing console games without loosing game audio (both connected to a Denon 4520CI), but I have to choose between loosing surround sound, exclusively one or the other, or unacceptable audio quality loss and latency.

Video cards are much better at doing this kind of processing than a CPU. This is why nearly all deep learning is done with Nvidia chips and very new intel chips (I know nothing about ATi/AMD but they've been well known for bitcoin mining lol).

However, the biggest issue right now is performance. There is no way all of this can be done with low latency (16ms or less), which greatly restricts the use to view-only applications (read: not suitable for computer use and especially not gaming friendly).
And let's say HDCP was not an issue or whatever and we can process everything via computer. This will require massive bandwidth, and not even the new Pascal Titan Xp only has 11.4 Gbps GDDR5X memory, so there would have to be compression (latency) or lower quality (4K resolution now moot). Don't forget more resources being reserved for OS usage (even with DX12 instructions bypassing the OS).

I'm still waiting for a device that meets all of these points (low latency, 4k, 4:4:4@60Hz or more, 3D support) and without costing more than my own display (LG OLED E6). Terrible CMS controls, but I still think the true blacks are better than glowing blacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page