What does the Vertex do over the Integral and Linker? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #31 of 155 Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post
Since at the moment the OPPO cannot do a good job in HDR to SDR BT.2020, will the Vertex do the conversion? And if so would you select "source direct" out of the OPPO.
Thanks again
dan
None of the HDFury devices can convert HDR to SDR. That conversion must be done by the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 155 Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
None of the HDFury devices can convert HDR to SDR. That conversion must be done by the player.
thanks
dan

Dan
post #33 of 155 Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Current Vertex OSD

Here is some screenshots of the current Vertex OSD.

Most improvements based on Claw and Manni suggestions and feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertex_osd.png
Views:	367
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2267642   Click image for larger version

Name:	vertex_osd-2.png
Views:	118
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2267644  
Manni01 and Soulnight like this.

post #34 of 155 Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 3121
Just to give some quick feedback about my beta-testing with the Vertex as I just found out about this thread.

Here's my Setup:

Sources: Panasonic UB-900 (UHD Bluray and UHD streaming), Sony BD-S570 (mostly for my x.v.color Min4K bluray collection), HTPC with nVidia 1080 Ti (MyMovies/MPC-BE/LAV/MadVR to play DVDs, Bluray, 3D Bluray and 4K/UHD SDR/HDR demo content), Humax TN5000HD (Satbox) to
AVR: Denon X7200WA (playing Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D on a 10.2.11 layout) to
Vertex: BOT in from X7200, BOT Out to
Display: JVC RS500 (X7000)

No Dolby Vision, no HLG tested. Otherwise, I've tested pretty much everything, from SD to UHD, SDR, HDR, 2D/3D, x.v.color...

I used an Integral and a Linker before, so the Vertex replaced both.

I never had the issues Claw had re long times syncing or instability with the Linker, so there is little improvement for me re sync times, it's still about 15-20 seconds when changing refresh rate/resolution. My HTPC is set to 4K23p and upscales everything with MadVR, so there is almost no resync as long as I stick to 23p HD/Full HD/UHD (99% of my content). It only needs to sync for the occasional PAL/NTSC DVD (refresh rate change) or 3D Bluray (resolution change).

The main improvement for me stability-wise is that I had problems with 3D bluray from my HTPC with the Linker (not from a dedicated bluray/UHD Bluray player), and that's completely solved with the Vertex. I'm having intermittent issues with the nVidia drivers / Windows 10 to get stereoscopic 3D to stick, but the Vertex has nothing to do with that (they happen without the Vertex in the chain).

The Vertex has been very stable for me, and I appreciate a lot all the info available on the OSD (I don't use the OLED screen except for debugging, so it's switched off most of the time).
We can now have all the HDR metadata instantly decoded, including gamut primaries and white point, as well as detailed audio info when available.

The "disable HDR" works just as well as with the Linker fro my JVC andallows me to enable the DI in HDR and permanently select my custom gamma curve without Gamma D being forced on me. I control the Vertex with iRule using IP2IR. It works great, and it allows me, for example, to go automatically from EDID 2 for all my sources to EDID 20 for my Humax, which doesn't even display anything on the JVC without the Vertex (or the Integral/Linker) unless I switch the JVC HDMI input to compatiblity (B) mode.

One of the last things I was missing from my old Radiance Mini-3D was the ability to know exactly what the source/AVR was sending to the display, especially re colorspace, chroma subsampling, refresh rate, etc. With the Vertex, I have all this information on the OSD (and more) and it's priceless for testing/debugging/troubleshooting.

Of course, there were a few minor issues (to be expected with a beta f/w and a prototype unit) and I've made a few suggestions for features, many of which are already implemented. Overall it's impressively stable. I've seen manufacturers sending final products out that were less stable than this!

I'm extremely happy with the upgrade from my Integral/Linker combo, and I'm looking forward to testing the next version of the Vertex f/w.
Frank D, Soulnight and HDfury like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 08-18-2017 at 01:39 AM.
post #35 of 155 Old 08-17-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
November cant come fast enough!

pre-order sent in yesterday

To replace my Integral, and add the features of a Linker
(Primary use for Custom HDR curves on my JVC with an enabled Dynamic Iris)

Just curious how the heck the "Remove TV Station Logo" feature works?
as a former Kuro Plasma fan, and now have an LG OLED,
... that almost sounds too good to be true to help eliminate screen burn in risk!

I bet many OLED owners in those burn-in/image retention threads haven't even heard of the Vertex.
If it works as I think it reads, this could be Huge!

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2
post #36 of 155 Old 08-17-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
November cant come fast enough!

pre-order sent in yesterday

To replace my Integral, and add the features of a Linker
(Primary use for Custom HDR curves on my JVC with an enabled Dynamic Iris)

Just curious how the heck the "Remove TV Station Logo" feature works?
as a former Kuro Plasma fan, and now have an LG OLED,
... that almost sounds too good to be true to help eliminate screen burn in risk!

I bet many OLED owners in those burn-in/image retention threads haven't even heard of the Vertex.
If it works as I think it reads, this could be Huge!
You just draw a box where you want and apply color or transparency you want to attenuate or remove channel logo or others annoying stuff.
Since the device have OSD, we let you play and create things with it, like display text you want, later it might offer to display internet data of your choice too.
RichB, PioManiac, Manni01 and 1 others like this.
post #37 of 155 Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As Manni mentioned the OSD is a great new feature. The OSD has a "Fade" option that I use. You set it to the number of seconds you want the OSD to be displayed on screen. Then it fades away. I set it to 30 seconds. The OSD reappears any time there is an input format change.

In my earlier post I described Vertex functionality with it placed between my Oppo and Denon x4200w AVR. I now have it placed between my AVR and JVC RS500. I have the Vertex configured to EDID 2. I also tested with EDID 8 but since I have found no issue with the higher capabilities of EDID 2 I leave it selected. I also have the Disable HDR checkbox set that keeps the RS500 dynamic iris enabled and disables the auto-selection of the JVC HDR Gamma D.

I have the following components connected to my AVR which then feeds the Vertex:
  1. Oppo 203 UHD player for UHD Blu Ray discs.
  2. Samsung K8500 UHD player for Amazon Video and Netflix content including 4K/24 HDR, and YouTube SDR content up to 4K60.
  3. Windows 8.1 HTPC set to 1080p/23 resolution with Total Media Theater playing Blu Ray ISO files.
  4. Directv C61K 4K box sending up to 4K60 SDR to my HDFury Integral then to the Denon AVR.
Note that the reason I have the Directv box connected to the Integral and then to the AVR is that I determined that connecting it directly to the Integral or Vertex resolved an issue where changing channels from 4K60 to a lower resolution resulted in an HDMI signal loss. It seems there must be some incompatibility between the C61K and my Denon AVR. Passing the signal through the Integral before it gets to the Denon seems to resolve that issue.

I use 6 foot HDMI cables purchased from HDFury.com to connect the players to the Denon AVR and from the AVR to the Vertex. I use a 25 foot Blue Jeans Cable Series-1e HDMI cable from the Vertex to my JVC RS500 projector.

To test the capabilities of the Vertex to upscale 1080p content to 4K and handle input signal changes, I configured the Vertex Scalar to scale 1080p/24 to 4K/24 and 1080p/60 to 4K/60. Because the Directv box outputs 720p and 1080i which the Vertex cannot scale, I have my Denon scale those formats to 1080p before reaching the Vertex. Then the Vertex scales:
  • HTPC 1080p/23 output to 4K/23.
  • Directv C61K/Denon scaled 1080p/60 output to 4K/60.
With this configuration of players and scaling, everything I throw at the Vertex is successful. I can have all players sending signals to my AVR simultaneously and switch the active AVR HDMI input among each of the players with no HDMI sync failures in either the Vertex or the JVC RS500. This includes both HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.2 inputs to the Vertex depending upon the player. Even with the Vertex set to output HDCP 2.2 I have no HDMI sync loss. It is so great to be able to reliably change the AVR active input to any of the players and never have to initiate an HDMI resync by either changing EDID, or restarting various components. I have not yet encountered any HDMI sync failure when powering up the components either.

I also find that the HDMI sync time in the JVC appears to be few seconds less when placing the Vertex after the AVR instead of in front. I did not see this behavior with either the Integral or Linker as both locations resulted in sync times that were longer than I hoped for. I haven't accurately timed the sync yet but it seems like the Vertex is adding only a couple of seconds at most beyond what I would typically see with the JVC projector and no HDFury device in the chain. As I mentioned in my previous post, The JVC HDMI sync process is much smoother with the Vertex than with either the Integral or Linker.
Soulnight and HDfury like this.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 08-17-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #38 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
claw, does that mean that the only time the JVC resyncs (15 seconds) is when you switch between 60 and 24Hz? You can switch between sources without causing the JVC to resync?
post #39 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
claw, does that mean that the only time the JVC resyncs (15 seconds) is when you switch between 60 and 24Hz? You can switch between sources without causing the JVC to resync?
If that's what happens with Claw's, I'd like to know how he achieves this!

Mine resyncs everytime I switch sources.
post #40 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I initially chose the Integral over the Linker because if the Android APP on my phone/tablet
for switching EDID 8<-> EDID 10, (HDR <->SDR) for use with my Panasonic UB900.
The Linker would have been a pain to run through my laptop GUI for every change.

I just noticed that listed on the Vertex page there is an Optional Bluetooth Dongle ($49)
Please tell me I don't tell me I need to buy that too in order to use my smartphone/tablet now?

I really don't want to spend another $50 to use a free app,
but I don't want to have to get up every time I need to access the Vertex info or make EDID change.
(or to access signal info on-screen)

Next Question/Comment,

I run my Integral After the AVR (Yamaha RX-A3050) and then a 40' run to my JVC
(Cheap High Speed Redmere Active cable from IOGear that sent 4K 24 HDR 4:4:412Bit with no issue)
The Integral would not work before the AVR (All short cables are from HDFury, bought the 4 pack)

The only Movie that stressed my 40' cable was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
that played 4k/60 4:2:0 10Bit on the JVC (4K60 4:2:2 12Bit on the OLED with HDFury short Cable)
Sometimes I had to power cycle my AVR to get a solid connection through the long cable run.

My other HDMI out from my AVR is a short 6' run to my LG OLED
When the JVC was turned off and the Integral was left on,
I could not get HDR to work on the OLED unless I turned the Integral off.

I'm guessing my AVR saw the Integral as an HDMI device that was not HDR compatible
If the JVC was not powered up (even if it was last set on the EDID for HDR on the JVC) ?

I never had any issues running the JVC and OLED simultaneously from the two HDMI outs from the Yamaha,
But both had to be in HDR or Both without, could not do one without the other.
(Obviously there was never a need to turn HDR off for the OLED or fool it to enable a dynamic iris )

I'm guessing I wont want the Vertex before the AVR,
since I have two very different needs from the 2 HDMI outs of the AVR.

The question then becomes do I only want to use 1 HDMI out from the AVR to the Vertex,
and connect both displays to the Vertex instead, are there limitations doing that?

JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2

Last edited by PioManiac; 09-05-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #41 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, the JVC performs a resync on every source change. My comment was related to some of us with Oppo and Denon/Marantz components who even today occasionally lose HDMI sync when switching input sources when using the Linker. Although the recent Linker firmware updates have almost eliminated the sync loss.

I have tried to cause a sync loss with the Vertex but so far have not been able to do so which is a very promising result. The JVC still performs a resync. I can see the Vertex readout showing it syncing to the new input signal as well. The JVC, of course, would not have an input signal when the Vertex is syncing to the new source signal.
Manni01 and HDfury like this.

CJ
post #42 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
No, the JVC performs a resync on every source change. My comment was related to some of us with Oppo and Denon/Marantz components who even today occasionally lose HDMI sync when switching input sources when using the Linker. Although the recent Linker firmware updates have almost eliminated the sync loss.
Bummer, I was really hoping with the Vertex set to scale resolution and color, that it would eliminate the HDMI resyncs....
post #43 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bummer, I was really hoping with the Vertex set to scale resolution and color, that it would eliminate the HDMI resyncs....
I can't see how that would be possible. When you switch the input source, the Vertex needs to sync to that signal before it can perform the scaling. During that input signal sync in the Vertex, the JVC will not be getting any video signal. When it does get the new signal it will need to sync to it.

I don't think there is any way the Vertex could send a blank video signal to the JVC during the time it was syncing to the new input. That would be the only way I can think of to prevent the JVC from losing sync during the input source switch.
HDfury likes this.

CJ
post #44 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I initially chose the Integral over the Linker because if the Android APP on my phone/tablet
for switching EDID 8<-> EDID 10, (HDR <->SDR) for use with my Panasonic UB900.
The Linker would have been a pain to run through my laptop GUI for every change.

I just noticed that listed on the Vertex page there is an Optional Bluetooth Dongle ($40)
Please tell me I don't tell me I need to buy that too in order to use my smartphone/tablet now?

I really don't want to spend another $40 to use a free app,
but I don't want to have to get up every time I need to access the Vertex info or make EDID change.

Next Question/Comment,

I run my Integral After the AVR (Yamaha RX-A3050) and then a 40' run to my JVC
(Cheap High Speed Redmere Active cable from IOGear that sent 4K 24 HDR 4:4:412Bit with no issue)
The Integral would not work before the AVR (All short cables are from HDFury, bought the 4 pack)

The only Movie that stressed my 40' cable was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
that played 4k/60 4:2:0 10Bit on the JVC (4K60 4:2:2 12Bit on the OLED with HDFury short Cable)
Sometimes I had to power cycle my AVR to get a solid connection through the long cable run.

My other HDMI out from my AVR is a short 6' run to my LG OLED

I'm guessing my AVR saw the Integral as an HDMI device that was not HDR compatible
If the JVC was not powered up (even if it was last set on the EDID for HDR on the JVC) ?

I never had any issues running the JVC and OLED simultaneously from the two HDMI outs from the Yamaha,
But both had to be in HDR or Both without, could not do one without the other.
(Obviously there was never a need to turn HDR off for the OLED or fool it to enable a dynamic iris )

I'm guessing I wont want the Vertex before the AVR,
since I have two very different needs from the 2 HDMI outs of the AVR.

The question then becomes do I only want to use 1 HDMI out from the AVR to the Vertex,
and connect both displays to the Vertex instead, are there limitations doing that?
GoBlue is mandatory to control any current and upcoming HDfury devices by iOS/Android APP or IR.
So with same GoBlue you can control Integral, Linker, Vertex and AVRkey.

Having Bluetooth module in such small enclosure going up to 600MHz will affect the Bluetooth range, you can ask anyone who ever used GoBlue, it's way faster and more reliable for long distance than integrated bluetooth module.
So it has been a design choice and we are very satisfied with the results.

I don't see any limitations in doing 1 in, 2 out to 2 different displays, it's made for that (among others)

Regarding Integral in your setup, and the below issue you reported:

Quote:

If you can reproduce and take gui screenshots of your settings, we can more likely help for that i guess.
if you want so please proceed and provide brand/model for AVR as well please. (preferably in Integral thread)

Last edited by HDfury; 08-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #45 of 155 Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
GoBlue is mandatory to control any current and upcoming HDfury devices by iOS/Android APP or IR.
So with same GoBlue you can control Integral, Linker, Vertex and AVRkey.
Well That sucks,

I understand the reason for it, but it was not made clear at time of purchase.
...I guess it's my own fault for not inquiring in this thread before my purchase.

I was under the impression that the Vertex combined ALL the features of my Integral
with the features of the Linker, into an all-in-one device. Since my Integral has a free BT app
You can probably see why I would expect that automatically in the ALL-in-one Vertex.

I'm almost tempted to cancel my Vertex pre-order and just pick up the cheaper Linker
...after all the Linker will be a set-it and forget it device only used to keep my dynamic iris working.

After discount/exchange/shipping I'm already at ~$300 (CAN$) for the Vertex,
My Integral was about the same almost exactly a year ago, never had range issues with the BT App.

post #46 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well That sucks,

I understand the reason for it, but it was not made clear at time of purchase.
...I guess it's my own fault for not inquiring in this thread before my purchase.

I was under the impression that the Vertex combined ALL the features of my Integral
with the features of the Linker, into an all-in-one device. Since my Integral has a free BT app
You can probably see why I would expect that automatically in the ALL-in-one Vertex.

I'm almost tempted to cancel my Vertex pre-order and just pick up the cheaper Linker
...after all the Linker will be a set-it and forget it device only used to keep my dynamic iris working.

After discount/exchange/shipping I'm already at ~$300 (CAN$) for the Vertex,
My Integral was about the same almost exactly a year ago, never had range issues with the BT App.
I'm sorry it did not appear clear to you, but its mentioned on the website first page, on Vertex product page, Features page and Vertex download section too.
I'm glad you did not have any BT range issue with Integral integrated bluetooth module, however, i'm quite sure you are not using 600MHz as default bandwidth for your signal.
With more and more 600MHz signals such as 4K60 4:2:2 12b HDR for streaming and games, the integrated bluetooth module will be affected and range reduced to about 3 meters max, while with GoBlue you will still be able to control the unit even from next room.

Anyway, we can cancel Vertex order, refund it, or replace by anything else of your choice at any time, just send email with order number and your instructions and it will be respected.

My personal point of view is that (and yes anyone can argue it's biased), if its in your budget, and we are offering the dream ticket discount for this purpose, you should not miss Vertex.
Vertex is the results of everything we learned here over the years and it's far superior to anything else we ever did.
Manni01 likes this.

Last edited by HDfury; 08-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #47 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
I'm sorry it did not appear clear to you, but its mentioned on the website first page, on Vertex product page, Features page and Vertex download section too.
I'm glad you did not have any BT range issue with Integral integrated bluetooth module, however, i'm quite sure you are not using 600MHz as default bandwidth for your signal.
With more and more 600MHz signals such as 4K60 4:2:2 12b HDR for streaming and games, the integrated bluetooth module will be affected and range reduced to about 3 meters max, while with GoBlue you will still be able to control the unit even from next room.

Anyway, we can cancel Vertex order, refund it, or replace by anything else of your choice at any time, just send email with order number and your instructions and it will be respected.

My personal point of view is that (and yes anyone can argue it's biased), if its in your budget, and we are offering the dream ticket discount for this purpose, you should not miss Vertex.
Vertex is the results of everything we learned here over the years and it's far superior to anything else we ever did.
I also missed the GoBlue "requirement" when I put in my discounted Vertex order. I should probably send a request to you guys to add a GoBlue to my order.
post #48 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I might be biased too, but people who know me know that I say it like it is. The Vertex is far superior to the Integral+Linker combo, especially if you can make use of the detailed information provided by the OLED and OSD. For me, that's the big winning feature and it saves me a lot of time displaying every time the display syncs what is coming to the display, precisely, for video and audio. Yes I can access some of this info from the player/display/AVR, but having it instantly displayed automatically for a set period of time every time the display syncs (or permanently when I'm testing/installing/changing stuff in my setup) is priceless. Plus there is some info (especially the full HDR metadata decoding) that is not available from any of my devices, especially in a human-readable form. Now if someone simply plans to use it as a set it and forget it device, it might be less of an advantage and someone with an Integral already could simply get a Linker, but then the GoBlue isn't necessary either.

You can control the Vertex very easily with IR and IP2IR using the Harmony and iRule (or similar), so it's not necessary to get the GoBlue to control the Vertex remotely. I control it with IP2IR and iRule right now.

Finally, I have a feeling that the Vertex has an enormous potential to add new features (for example using its overlay ability) and support various situations that the Integral+Linker combo will never have. With the ever changing HDR landscape, it's kind of a security to know that the device (with HD Fury support) can evolve, bar hardware limitations such as new HDMI standards of course. While I'm sure HD Fury will try to fix any bug on the existing Linker and Integral, I wouldn't expect the same level of development re supporting new features/standards in old models as in a new model. If we look at all that was added to the Integral and Linker (Dolby Vision / HLG passthrough support, disable HDR for the JVCs, etc), having a "current" device from HD Fury means that you have to think beyond the specs at release, and take into account what it might do tomorrow. Yes, the features today are similar between an Integral+Linker and a Vertex, but that might not be the case forever.

I'm not affiliated to HD Fury, only a huge fan of their products and incredible support and very happy to do some beta testing for them. Apart from Lumagen, I don't know of any consumer manufacturer who listens to customers so keenly and keeps upgrading their product during their whole shelf life. I'm only posting this because I think that a few months down the line, someone with a Linker or an Integral (or even with both) might regret not being able to see a solution or a feature implemented in the Vertex and might have to upgrade anyway. This is something to take into account in the decision to upgrade or not, especially as selling the upgraded product can help recoup a significant part of the upgrade cost, which of course isn't the case if one buys the missing product instead.

Of course the big thing is that it's not available yet, but if you can wait it's well worth the wait (and the upgrade price) IMHO.

I paid for my Integral (the first HD Fury product I owed, never had bought anything from them before) and if I had to choose today between getting a Linker or upgrading to the Vertex, I'd definitely go for the Vertex, even if it meant buying a Goblue too. The Vertex is just in a different class, with room to grow.

Of course YMMV, I can't make any promises in my name or in HD Fury's name, etc. Just giving my .2 cents as a user myself.
HDfury likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 08-19-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #49 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The GoBlue requirement was also mentioned in the unfortunately now-dead Linker thread. It was clearly stated that it was required for the Linker for Bluetooth control using either the Apple or Android App, and that GoBlue would be required for all future devices. So I understood even then that the yet unnamed future Vertex device would also require a GoBlue device for Bluetooth and/or IR control.

I purchased my Linker and GoBlue devices as soon as each was made available for order. While I had to place my Integral in the very front of my AV closet in order to get a Bluetooth connection from my main seating position 15 feet away, using the GoBlue with the Linker allowed me to place the Linker out of sight behind all the components with the HDMI cables.
HDfury likes this.

CJ
post #50 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I'm sold on adding the GoBlue.
Who am I kidding, Gotta have all the toys right?

So How do I add it to my existing Vertex order so they ship together?
..or do I have to place separate order and pay another $24 for shipping fee's?

If I have to pay another shipping fee, plus $USD exchange rate, the $49 GoBlue will cost me $100CAN

You may want to add the GoBlue as a drop down option on the Vertex order page,
at the very least it may prompt those like me who didn't choose to browse through your accessories pages to find info on it.

If it was an option I probably would have investigated further before placing my Vertex order,
Manni01 and jtolive like this.

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #51 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Regarding the Goblue what is the purpose/use of the IR attachment? Looks like it cost another $10. Is it really needed at all?

I plan on having the Goblue maybe in next room about 10 feet away separated by a wall/door so sounds like Goblue should work right?
post #52 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I also missed the GoBlue "requirement" when I put in my discounted Vertex order. I should probably send a request to you guys to add a GoBlue to my order.
Just send an email with your vertex order number and you will get a paypal request for GoBlue value that you can pay with paypal or credit card and you are done.

Quote:
Okay, I'm sold on adding the GoBlue.
Who am I kidding, Gotta have all the toys right?

So How do I add it to my existing Vertex order so they ship together?
..or do I have to place separate order and pay another $24 for shipping fee's?

If I have to pay another shipping fee, plus $USD exchange rate, the $49 GoBlue will cost me $100CAN

You may want to add the GoBlue as a drop down option on the Vertex order page,
at the very least it may prompt those like me who didn't choose to browse through your accessories pages to find info on it.

If it was an option I probably would have investigated further before placing my Vertex order,

Please see my previous answer to add it without extra shipping cost.

Yes you are right, GoBlue should be in the dropdown option, it will be updated as soon as we have some time, right now we are busy on preparing launch for AVRkey and Vertex, so shortly after it will be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Regarding the Goblue what is the purpose/use of the IR attachment? Looks like it cost another $10. Is it really needed at all?

I plan on having the Goblue maybe in next room about 10 feet away separated by a wall/door so sounds like Goblue should work right?
IR can be useful especially for device like Linker that do not have any IR control on its own, Vertex already have IR, so it's not needed. you might still want or need it if for ex, you put vertex out of sight from the IR device that will control it.
Wall question: Yes, it should work if your wall is not a castle wall
post #53 of 155 Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just send an email with your vertex order number and you will get a paypal request for GoBlue value that you can pay with paypal or credit card and you are done.
email sent

Thanks
-Mike B.

post #54 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
Looking at the OSD screenshot, what is the reference to P3/DCi? UHD Blu uses the 2020 color space, not P3. I understand that the gamut coverage is currently no wider than P3, but it is NOT P3 encoded (completely different RGB values, and P3 isn't even possible in consumer YCbCr video).

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #55 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 AM

I assumed it was the mastering monitor gamut, I thought that was included in the metadata.
post #56 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Looking at the OSD screenshot, what is the reference to P3/DCi? UHD Blu uses the 2020 color space, not P3. I understand that the gamut coverage is currently no wider than P3, but it is NOT P3 encoded (completely different RGB values, and P3 isn't even possible in consumer YCbCr video).
Quote:
I assumed it was the mastering monitor gamut, I thought that was included in the metadata.
Hi Kris,

As Stanger said, this is the mastering display gamut reported in the metadata. This is why I asked HD Fury to indicate this with an "MTR", to make it clear that it's not content primaries.

All consumer HDR content is mastered to BT2020 (the container) so there is no need to report that (although the player, for example the UB900, does it).

The calibration should be BT2020, but almost all titles currently available report that the mastering monitor used only had P3 capabilities (hence the content is P3 within a BT2020 container).

It's useful to know this, because as the first titles mastered with BT2020 capabilities are starting to be released, we might decide to use a different calibration for "actual P3" titles and "actual BT2020" titles.

For the first ones, calibrating to P3 within BT2020 (P3 coordinates but BT2020 saturation) will be enough, while for the others there might be a benefit to calibrate to BT2020, if the end user display supports more than P3.

There is a possible brightness loss associated to a wider gamut, so there is no point in using for example a filter to go beyond P3 if there is nothing in the content (DCI-P3 mastering display primaries reported in the metadata), otherwise it can be beneficial to suffer the brightness loss to display the wider BT2020 gamut, as we know there is (or should be) data beyond DCI-P3 in the content (BT2020 mastering display primaries reported).

Makes sense? I knew this would happen, hence the MTR which will be explained in the documentation when the product it released.
HDfury likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 08-23-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #57 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
Makes total sense. Thanks for the insight.
Manni01 and HDfury like this.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #58 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A bit more feedback on the Vertex as I progress with my testing:

- I tested the scaling/splitting ability of the Vertex with my Dell PC Monitor (a 1080p HDMI 1.3 model) and it works great. I can have, at the same time (provided the refresh rate is supported by the monitor as the Vertex cannot do frame conversion/interpolation, so for example can't convert 23p to 60p if your display doesn't support 23p) the source playing to both the JVC and the Dell, 4K/UHD full bandwidth (UHD 12bits 4:4:4) on the JVC and downscaled 1080p 4:4:4 8bits to the Dell. It's great to check quickly on settings without having to switch the projector on, and also to see what the source is saying while the JVC resyncs.

- For iRule users (and users of other universal remotes), I've asked HD Fury to check if an EDID mode is already selected when receiving an IR command to change EDID, and to discard it if the requested mode is already active. This means that if you send a specific EDID for a source, the IR/IP command will only cause a resync if the requested EDID isn't already active. For example, I have iRule send EDID 2 for all my 4K source, and EDID 20 for my old Humax TN5000HD. So in case I was using the TN5000HD, I have to send EDID 2 on entry for each of the 4K sources, just like I send EDID 20 on entry to the TN5000HD panel. Before this change, if I left my 4KUHD bluray panel for the AVR panel, an unnecessary resync happened when coming back to the 4K UHD Bluray panel because it would send again the EDID 2 command. Now, it checks, sees that EDID 2 is already active, and there is no resync. I will only get a resync if I go to the TN5000HD or if I come back from it. As we know, JVC resyncs are long (15-20 seconds), so getting rid of unnecessary ones is very nice, I'm sure others will appreciate this.

The new f/w received today also brings much improvement on the OSD, we can display the incoming metadata as well as the outcoming metadata, along with all the additions already mentioned (gamut/white point for the mastering display, available audio info, etc).

The Vertex is coming along very well, and everything is super stable here with the latest f/w.
post #59 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
A bit more feedback on the Vertex as I progress with my testing:

- I tested the scaling/splitting ability of the Vertex with my Dell PC Monitor (a 1080p HDMI 1.3 model) and it works great. I can have, at the same time (provided the refresh rate is supported by the monitor as the Vertex cannot do frame conversion/interpolation, so for example can't convert 23p to 60p if your display doesn't support 23p) the source playing to both the JVC and the Dell, 4K/UHD full bandwidth (UHD 12bits 4:4:4) on the JVC and downscaled 1080p 4:4:4 8bits to the Dell. It's great to check quickly on settings without having to switch the projector on, and also to see what the source is saying while the JVC resyncs.
I connected a 1080p TV to the Vertex Top output that supports down scaling. Configured the Scalar to scale 4K60 and 4K30 to 1080p60/30. Played a UHD Blu Ray disc from my Oppo player and got 4k/24 BT.2020 HDR to my JVC and 1080p to my TV simultaneously. Although I did not get audio to my TV.

CJ
post #60 of 155 Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I connected a 1080p TV to the Vertex Top output that supports down scaling. Configured the Scalar to scale 4K60 and 4K30 to 1080p60/30. Played a UHD Blu Ray disc from my Oppo player and got 4k/24 BT.2020 HDR to my JVC and 1080p to my TV simultaneously. Although I did not get audio to my TV.
Yes most AVRs (including my X7200WA) do not pass-through HDMI audio to the main HDMI output when they decode audio to the speakers connected to the AVR.

You have to set HDMI Output to TV instead of AVR, but usually you only get LPCM stereo to the TV, not the full HDMI output, and of course you don't get any audio from the speakers, which isn't ideal .

I managed to get full HDMI Audio both to the main zone and the HDMI Zone 2 using the AVRKey. That way, I can get HDMI Audio to my Sony HDMI Headphones, which are only HDMI 1.4 (10Gb/s).

My set-up is like this:

All sources to X7200WA

X7200WA HDMI Monitor 1 (Main Zone) to BOT IN Vertex to BOT OUT toRS500, TOP OUT to Dell monitor

X7200WA HDMI Zone2 to AVRKey to Sony HDMI Headphones

When I want to use the Sony Headphones, I simply lower the volume of main zone and switch HDMI Zone 2 on and select the same source as main zone. This is done automatically with iRule.
Thanks to the AVRKey, I can keep full HDMI Audio/Video on the Main Zone (HDR/4K/18Gb/s) to the JVC for the picture, and get full HDMI Audio with blanked video to the Sony Headphones.
When I want to go back to speakers, I simply switch HDMI Zone 2 off and raise the volume of Main zone, also done automatically with iRule.

The AVRKey is a life saver in combination with the Vertex to use older audio equipment like this (the Sony HDMI Headphones behave the same as an older AVR).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page