Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 48
HDFURY Linker owners thread

I've got one of these useful HDFURY Linker devices and it could really do with an owner's thread to collate useful information in - so here goes. Be gentle...

Be useful to hear what kind of things people are doing with theirs. We can all help each other out in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 3368 Post(s)
Liked: 3123
Good idea, you might want to let @HDfury know about this...
bobof likes this.
post #3 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
We nearly met the deadline !

Please let us know how it goes, it seems not yet perfect as we had a black screen once but it's hard to see any failure after many attempts, if you can get something failing please try to provide method to reproduce.

http://www.filedropper.com/4klinkerfw243gui20

This version also have HTPC mode, and disable HDR, for JVC PJ mostly, added as Quick Preset: Hold RST and press INP 12 times to turn on/off the "disable HDR" feature.
Anyone is welcome to try and report back. It is essentially x800 oriented but seems to be faster on UB900 too without breaking anything from our tests.
Of course we haven't had time to test all possible cases, so if some UB900 owners are interested in seeing if they can reduce handshake time (especially with JVC PJ) they can give it a try.
If problem, you can always revert back to previous FW. (no need to rant, it's a test firmware, provide report if you have time to do so with details)

Average user: Please stick with FW23 till new official firmware is announced.
I have been doing some testing for last half hour or so.
Good sides:
a) Seems to be pretty robust.
b) Seems to change modes and refresh rates pretty quickly and reliably - about 8s from 24p to 60p (was 12s in v0.23).
c) I haven't seen any problems with mode switch. NICE JOB TEAM @HDfury !
d) It also fixes another issue for me; at the moment X800 firmware / Netflix app will lock up hard sometimes if HDMI sink is not HDCP2.2 / 4K. With Linker HDCP2.2 sink - no such problem

A few downsides:
1) GUI appears to be broken. Neither the supplied GUI nor previous GUIs can run (I use 4.0 driver version). This means I cannot set custom EDID or other parameters I would like to set to make test the same - I really want to use my own EDID with deep color disabled (as Lumagen cannot accept it)
2) Mode switching is still a bit messy. When the player changes modes often you get a green / white full screen flash, then a small video image in the corner of the screen, then maybe another flash, then the picture. It just looks a bit messy. Makes my system not look "high end"
3) One time on connecting USB power I didn't have any image (BD player was on when connected USB power),

Already it is much much better it seems than previously. So far, very happy. Great support.
Manni01 and HDfury like this.

post #4 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Good sides:
b) Seems to change modes and refresh rates pretty quickly and reliably - about 8s from 24p to 60p (was 12s in v0.23).
d) It also fixes another issue for me; at the moment X800 firmware / Netflix app will lock up hard sometimes if HDMI sink is not HDCP2.2 / 4K. With Linker HDCP2.2 sink - no such problem

A few downsides:
1) GUI appears to be broken. Neither the supplied GUI nor previous GUIs can run (I use 4.0 driver version). This means I cannot set custom EDID or other parameters I would like to set to make test the same - I really want to use my own EDID with deep color disabled (as Lumagen cannot accept it)
2) Mode switching is still a bit messy. When the player changes modes often you get a green / white full screen flash, then a small video image in the corner of the screen, then maybe another flash, then the picture. It just looks a bit messy. Makes my system not look "high end"
3) One time on connecting USB power I didn't have any image (BD player was on when connected USB power),

Already it is much much better it seems than previously. So far, very happy. Great support.
What's your display?
post #5 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
What's your display?
Don't have a display connected directly to Linker output at the moment.
Chain is:
Sony X800 -> Linker -> Lumagen 2143

Lumagen out 1 is connected to JVC X30 PJ
Lumagen out 2 is connected to Denon X2300 Receiver

Time is measured using Spears & Munsill Audio Sync test video. The menu of BD is 24p, the 2-3 sync video is 60p. It has a timer in the corner that counts up from 0s. So the first number I see after everything re-syncs is 8.something
Manni01 likes this.
post #6 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't have a display connected directly to Linker output at the moment.
Chain is:
Sony X800 -> Linker -> Lumagen 2143

Lumagen out 1 is connected to JVC X30 PJ
Lumagen out 2 is connected to Denon X2300 Receiver

Time is measured using Spears & Munsill Audio Sync test video. The menu of BD is 24p, the 2-3 sync video is 60p. It has a timer in the corner that counts up from 0s. So the first number I see after everything re-syncs is 8.something
Thanks.

So this 8s is with 1080p, not with 4K/UHD content.
post #7 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks.

So this 8s is with 1080p, not with 4K/UHD content.
That test was 1080p content played at 1080p. I couldn't get anything else to work due to lack of GUI - though I remembered I had a GoBlue in the drawer and that does still seem to be able to communicate with this FW.
Once I got 4K scaling down to 1080p to work (I don't have a 4k display), if I set player to upscale the BD to 4K so it is switching 4K24 -> 4K60 and then downscale in Linker to 1080p it still takes 8s for my chain.

If there is any other useful test you'd like let me know.
Manni01 likes this.
post #8 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Good sides:

A few downsides:

Thank you for the feedback.

The GUI issue is mine, i packed the last public with it, while you needed another version which have HTPC control and others.
We also fixed edids for Xbox One S Dolby Atmos support like we did on Integral.

Please try that one: http://www.filedropper.com/4klinkerfw24-3gui21_1

Yet i'm not sure why you had issue with previous GUI, please let us know if that one is ok.
bobof likes this.
post #9 of 251 Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback.

The GUI issue is mine, i packed the last public with it, while you needed another version which have HTPC control and others.
We also fixed edids for Xbox One S Dolby Atmos support like we did on Integral.

Please try that one: http://www.filedropper.com/4klinkerfw24-3gui21_1

Yet i'm not sure why you had issue with previous GUI, please let us know if that one is ok.
I will test a bit more later this evening.
I see now though that the beta firmware does work with the GUI that was sent out as V0.21 with previous testing firmware. I didn't try that last night, just the older versions.
post #10 of 251 Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like Sony X800 it is working pretty well this 24_3 firmware with the 0.21 GUI. Not found any significant issues. Nice work @HDfury

It would be nice if you could tidy up the mode switch so there isn't so much garbage displayed on the screen. But it isn't urgent; main thing is picture is working.

I did notice something which might be the cause of one of your black screens. If you select 600MHz HDR EDID 2 on Linker and have colourspace on X800 player set to Auto or 422, and are Downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit (this is the only output mode I can test) you will ALWAYS have a black screen.

If you set player to 444 and have 600MHz EDID 2 then downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit works fine. Or if you choose 300MHz HDR EDID 8 and have player set to Auto or 422 set it also works fine.

I don't think this is a new issue - I also saw it previously on old firmware - but it was difficult to figure out because of the instability of getting a picture at all on mode switch.

Screenshots attached. I gave them useful names (hopefully).

Edit : one other issue I've heard a couple of times - an audio pop on my Denon AVR X2300 it seems. I haven't found reproducible case yet, but it happens around the mode switch (I believe shortly after). It seems perhaps that just like the video isn't very clean around the mode switch, neither is the audio.

Last edited by bobof; 07-26-2017 at 01:23 AM.
post #11 of 251 Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like Sony X800 it is working pretty well this 24_3 firmware with the 0.21 GUI. Not found any significant issues. Nice work @HDfury

It would be nice if you could tidy up the mode switch so there isn't so much garbage displayed on the screen. But it isn't urgent; main thing is picture is working.

I did notice something which might be the cause of one of your black screens. If you select 600MHz HDR EDID 2 on Linker and have colourspace on X800 player set to Auto or 422, and are Downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit (this is the only output mode I can test) you will ALWAYS have a black screen.

If you set player to 444 and have 600MHz EDID 2 then downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit works fine. Or if you choose 300MHz HDR EDID 8 and have player set to Auto or 422 set it also works fine.

I don't think this is a new issue - I also saw it previously on old firmware - but it was difficult to figure out because of the instability of getting a picture at all on mode switch.

Screenshots attached. I gave them useful names (hopefully).

Edit : one other issue I've heard a couple of times - an audio pop on my Denon AVR X2300 it seems. I haven't found reproducible case yet, but it happens around the mode switch (I believe shortly after). It seems perhaps that just like the video isn't very clean around the mode switch, neither is the audio.
Thank you for the feedback, for some reason the screenshots do not appear. Can you check it ?
post #12 of 251 Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback, for some reason the screenshots do not appear. Can you check it ?
Forum junk SW removed / corrupted them. Sorry. I've re-added them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x800_auto_EDID_2_NOVIDEO.png
Views:	84
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2259138   Click image for larger version

Name:	x800_444_EDID_2_videoOK.png
Views:	58
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2259140   Click image for larger version

Name:	x800_auto_EDID_8_videoOK.png
Views:	57
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2259142  
post #13 of 251 Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Forum junk SW removed / corrupted them. Sorry. I've re-added them here.
Ok thanx

About this : "If you select 600MHz HDR EDID 2 on Linker and have colourspace on X800 player set to Auto or 422, and are Downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit (this is the only output mode I can test) you will ALWAYS have a black screen."

Picture resumes fine after RST right ? it doesn't stay ALWAYS black screen even after RST. please confirm.
post #14 of 251 Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok thanx

About this : "If you select 600MHz HDR EDID 2 on Linker and have colourspace on X800 player set to Auto or 422, and are Downscaling to 1080p 444 8 bit (this is the only output mode I can test) you will ALWAYS have a black screen."

Picture resumes fine after RST right ? it doesn't stay ALWAYS black screen even after RST. please confirm.
No. Picture remains always black. Press reset. Power cycle. Picture stays black.
Only thing that fixes it is setting output colour space in player to 444. 422 or Auto in player always result in black screen if the linker is configured to downscale to 8 bit 444 1080p.
post #15 of 251 Old 07-26-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. Picture remains always black. Press reset. Power cycle. Picture stays black.
Only thing that fixes it is setting output colour space in player to 444. 422 or Auto in player always result in black screen if the linker is configured to downscale to 8 bit 444 1080p.
Ok we will check it, thanx.

Please allow some time as our guys need to complete some other task first.
post #16 of 251 Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok we will check it, thanx.

Please allow some time as our guys need to complete some other task first.
Don't worry about it too much for me; I don't really use that mode. More important for me would be clean mode switches. I just mention it as it might catch a lot of people out as the default for Sony player is Auto, so of course it seems it doesn't work if they choose EDID2.

What is the reason you can't select 422 output colourspace for Downscale mode? I don't think the conversion to 444 8 bit is great - I notice some very (very very) slight artifacting in dither areas when doing 8 bit 444 output. Due to this I found the best picture quality for me with the X800 player is to use through mode, and make the player do the downscaling to 1080p and output 422 8 bit.
post #17 of 251 Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't worry about it too much for me; I don't really use that mode. More important for me would be clean mode switches. I just mention it as it might catch a lot of people out as the default for Sony player is Auto, so of course it seems it doesn't work if they choose EDID2.

What is the reason you can't select 422 output colourspace for Downscale mode? I don't think the conversion to 444 8 bit is great - I notice some very (very very) slight artifacting in dither areas when doing 8 bit 444 output. Due to this I found the best picture quality for me with the X800 player is to use through mode, and make the player do the downscaling to 1080p and output 422 8 bit.
Ok, for downscale output mode, if i recall right, it's because 422 in 444 or plain 444 is the same thing at the end, just same data in larger container and since any FHD will support 444, i suppose that's why it's like that. What is surprising if i got you right is that, you are saying 4:2:2 in and 4:4:4 out isn't as good as 4:2:2 passthru ?
post #18 of 251 Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I will double check it again tomorrow. It seems like what you suggest, yes. 444 and 422 -> 444 both seem to have the same very slight artefact in my system, but 422 -> 422 doesn't. It might be that my system doesn't like 444 output, and not actually a problem with the linker itself. But it is kind of hard to work out where the artefact comes from.

Again though, it isn't a big deal for me as I have a working solution - make player output 1080p 422 HDR 2020 and use through mode works great. Just watched Hacksaw Ridge like this, absolutely excellent.
post #19 of 251 Old 07-30-2017, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@HDfury

I think there is an issue with the HDLinker accepting 4:2:2 12bit from a PC. Every time I switch the PC into this mode the linker bugs out and has to be restarted, often times it won't recover and no signal is being passed through.

Sure enough, if you switch to 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 then the linker works fine.

Have you had any other reports of this?
post #20 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottypotsworth View Post
@HDfury

I think there is an issue with the HDLinker accepting 4:2:2 12bit from a PC. Every time I switch the PC into this mode the linker bugs out and has to be restarted, often times it won't recover and no signal is being passed through.

Sure enough, if you switch to 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 then the linker works fine.

Have you had any other reports of this?
Can you confirm the exact timing of the signal and your firmware version on Linker, thanx.
post #21 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Can you confirm the exact timing of the signal and your firmware version on Linker, thanx.
4:2:2 12bit 60hz and the firmware SHOULD be the latest version of 0.23, although when i tried to reset the linker and reflash it with firmware it said the bootloader can't be used with 0.23 :/

Thanks
post #22 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4:2:2 12bit 60hz and the firmware SHOULD be the latest version of 0.23, although when i tried to reset the linker and reflash it with firmware it said the bootloader can't be used with 0.23 :/

Thanks
4K60 4:2:2 12b is supported from PS4 PRO and Roku Ultra, so it should work just fine from PC.

Try latest package, see if you have better results: http://www.filedropper.com/4klinkerfw24-3gui21_1

Always run GUI and FW update from same package and never have both opened at the same time.
If problem flashing, try rebooting pc and/or using another USB port.
post #23 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
4K60 4:2:2 12b is supported from PS4 PRO and Roku Ultra, so it should work just fine from PC.

Try latest package, see if you have better results: http://www.filedropper.com/4klinkerfw24-3gui21_1

Always run GUI and FW update from same package and never have both opened at the same time.
If problem flashing, try rebooting pc and/or using another USB port.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I needed to power cycle the HD Linker twice today because it got "stuck" and no image was passing through, I think the unit might be faulty because it is acting up now and it has been fine for ages. This is the second one i have had with the first one being replaced because it was entirely unresponsive.

Trying to flash the firmware from the download above results in the same error message "The device has a version of the bootloader firmware that is incompatable with this bootloader software.". Clicking OK on this error message then prompts about the Hex not matching the device :/

Something seems off to me, it was working fine and now it is having issue and i can't even update the firmware. Any ideas?

Thanks
post #24 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Honest question after a couple of weeks with the Linker. Panny ub900 feeding a JVC rs620. Linker set to Edid 8 and disable HDR.

I have the High Dynamic Range Output on the ub900 set to off. Planet Earth II UHD looks absolutely stunning on the projector with amazing color and resolution.

So my question is, with the HDR output set to off on the player, why do I need a Linker at all? Why would I turn on HDR when I"m stripping it to SDR anyway with the Linker? (And when I set it to "on", my picture is terrible.)

What advantage am I gaining with the Linker?
post #25 of 251 Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Dear all,

I just got Integral, Linker and GoBlue last month,

UHD Player: Panny UB900
AV Processor: Anthem AVM60
Display: Benq FullHD projector

May I know which setting in Linker/Integral will get the biggest benefit from my Penny?
Is it possible to set the UB900 output 4K HDR Bt2020 to Linker and output 1080P SDR BT709?

Or all I can get is 4K resolution and SDR BT709 from Panny?

Thank you very much.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #26 of 251 Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I needed to power cycle the HD Linker twice today because it got "stuck" and no image was passing through, I think the unit might be faulty because it is acting up now and it has been fine for ages. This is the second one i have had with the first one being replaced because it was entirely unresponsive.

Trying to flash the firmware from the download above results in the same error message "The device has a version of the bootloader firmware that is incompatable with this bootloader software.". Clicking OK on this error message then prompts about the Hex not matching the device :/

Something seems off to me, it was working fine and now it is having issue and i can't even update the firmware. Any ideas?

Thanks
What is your windows version and which driver did you install ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Honest question after a couple of weeks with the Linker. Panny ub900 feeding a JVC rs620. Linker set to Edid 8 and disable HDR.

I have the High Dynamic Range Output on the ub900 set to off. Planet Earth II UHD looks absolutely stunning on the projector with amazing color and resolution.

So my question is, with the HDR output set to off on the player, why do I need a Linker at all? Why would I turn on HDR when I"m stripping it to SDR anyway with the Linker? (And when I set it to "on", my picture is terrible.)

What advantage am I gaining with the Linker?
People use Disable HDR with JVC PJ that allow custom gamma curve injection (and get Dynamic Iris working in HDR)
post #27 of 251 Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Dear all,

I just got Integral, Linker and GoBlue last month,

UHD Player: Panny UB900
AV Processor: Anthem AVM60
Display: Benq FullHD projector

May I know which setting in Linker/Integral will get the biggest benefit from my Penny?
Is it possible to set the UB900 output 4K HDR Bt2020 to Linker and output 1080P SDR BT709?

Or all I can get is 4K resolution and SDR BT709 from Panny?

Thank you very much.
Please post link to usermanual for both AVM60 and BENQ (we don't even have exact model here), then we can give you answer.
post #28 of 251 Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
What is your windows version and which driver did you install ?

People use Disable HDR with JVC PJ that allow custom gamma curve injection (and get Dynamic Iris working in HDR)
What's the point of using HDR mode if you're disabling it with the Linker?
post #29 of 251 Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
What's the point of using HDR mode if you're disabling it with the Linker?
You're not disabling HDR.

Without the linker, the 2015 JVCs force gamma D whenever HDR content is detected. Also, the DI is disabled. Gamma D being broken (black crush or raised black levels), you need a custom curve to display HDR properly. But whenever you select a custom curve, JVC forces the broken gamma D again, so you have to reselect your custom curve every time you press play or resume.

With the linker, you can tell the source that the display supports HDR, so the source sends HDR, but then you lie to the display and tell the display you're sending SDR (by disabling the HDR flag in the content, but not the actual HDR data). As a result, you can select a custom curve in the JVC to display HDR content properly, without fighting with Gamma D. And as a bonus, you can enable the DI which gives you far better fade to black.

For more info, look into the JVC owners' thread and into the JVC Autocal thread for the 2015 models. You'll find lots of links in the first post, and can post there if you need more info.
Ted99 likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 08-01-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #30 of 251 Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
You're not disabling HDR.

Without the linker, the 2015 JVCs force gamma D whenever HDR content is detected. Also, the DI is disabled. Gamma D being broken (black crush or raised black levels), you need a custom curve to display HDR properly. But whenever you select a custom curve, JVC forces the broken gamma D again, so you have to reselect your custom curve every time you press play or resume.

With the linker, you can tell the source that the display supports HDR, so the source sends HDR, but then you lie to the display and tell the display you're sending SDR (by disabling the HDR flag in the content, but not the actual HDR data). As a result, you can select a custom curve in the JVC to display HDR content properly, without fighting with Gamma D. And as a bonus, you can enable the DI which gives you far better fade to black.

For more info, look into the JVC owners' thread and into the JVC Autocal thread for the 2015 models. You'll find lots of links in the first post, and can post there if you need more info.
Thank you, Manni. That helps.

So because I have the rs620 (the next version), do I still need the Linker, or does my projector avoid that gamma D issue? (I don't even have a gamma D setting on mine, in fact.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page