Automatic Aspect Ratio and Upscaling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-31-2017, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Automatic Aspect Ratio and Upscaling?

I've tried searching here and online, but I can't see to find what I'm looking for in the search results. Needle in a haystack scenario. My situation is this:

I have various components ranging from HD Tivo DVR's to SD DVD and HD Blu-ray players, with a UHD 4K OLED display. The final output I want from all these components is a 16:9 HD 1080p (or UHD 4K) output with the appropriate black (not dark gray) bars. Some of the components do this properly (older DVD players are good at this), but others (including new blu-ray players) generate dark gray bars when formatting 4:3 or 2.35:1 material for a 16:9 display. With an OLED display, I can see the difference between black and dark gray, and it's annoying.

So - if I set all my components to output native format, is there a reasonably priced video processor that will automatically recognize the original aspect ratios and resolutions, and then reformat and upscale them as necessary for the display? I don't want something that requires me to change the settings manually (I can already do that with my existing components and display) because some programs (such as documentaries) can frequently change ratios in the middle of the programs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page