MARSEILLE MCABLE (internal processor) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Priceless. $44 for shipping a 3 foot video cable? Must be coming via drone.
THat's a default shipping price. If you look at the shipping options, you'll see about 1/3 for priority mail. I would send a question to the seller to verify and/or maybe they can just send you an invoice with the lowest shipping cost?

For Sale JVC DLA-X750R/RS500 Projector includes two lamps

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...l#post54970964
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
on their website it's like $50 for the cheapest shipping to UK.

I have the elitehd active HD which uses the older version of the processor VTV 1222.

is there a massive difference between the older and newer versions?

i might wait for newer version with both cinema and gaming combined.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #33 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm also wondering if there is a discernible visual difference between older and newer versions...
Also, most Directv HD channels are 1080i. I've read online that people use the DTV sat receiver to downscale the 1080i and output 720p, so that the Mcable can upscale it to 1080p. Has anyone here actually tried this? If this is not doable, since most DTV is 1080i, is there a compelling reason to use the Mcable on it? I've read subjective reviews that it "cleans up" the DTV signal. can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.

post #34 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I'm also wondering if there is a discernible visual difference between older and newer versions...
Also, most Directv HD channels are 1080i. I've read online that people use the DTV sat receiver to downscale the 1080i and output 720p, so that the Mcable can upscale it to 1080p. Has anyone here actually tried this? If this is not doable, since most DTV is 1080i, is there a compelling reason to use the Mcable on it? I've read subjective reviews that it "cleans up" the DTV signal. can anyone confirm this?
Thanks.
I tried to change the resolution of my Directv from 1080i to 720p and it did not work. I have my mCable connected to my Oppo which is directly connected to my OLED E6 TV. I have a hard drive connected to my Oppo-103. I don't have a 4K player, but all my BDs, DVDs are ripped to my Hard Drive and I play 3D movies using disks. They all look excellent using a Darbee.
post #35 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks.
I don't have DirectTV but my cable box only allows me to choose from 720p and 1080i. I did compare the picture at 720p with mCable enhancements vs 1080i without mcable enhancements and I would say that the 720p option had the cleanest picture. I actually have my cable box set to 1080i and I have my receiver output my cable signal at 1080p. I would agree the it does a good job of cleaning up the picture from cable sources.
post #36 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
They all look excellent using a Darbee.
So you have a Darbee and an mCable? Which version?
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #37 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyakko View Post
I don't have DirectTV but my cable box only allows me to choose from 720p and 1080i. I did compare the picture at 720p with mCable enhancements vs 1080i without mcable enhancements and I would say that the 720p option had the cleanest picture. I actually have my cable box set to 1080i and I have my receiver output my cable signal at 1080p. I would agree the it does a good job of cleaning up the picture from cable sources.
If I'm understanding you:
You output your cable box at 1080i, then have your AVR upscale it to 1080p, then you have the Mcable take over, then the Darbee? That's a lot of processing...
post #38 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I've checked out the Marseille sites tech info, and it would appear the McCable upscales a 1080P image to UHD 4K. This would replace the upscaling of a 4K tv/pj, and only benefit color if the display unit was HDR. So, if you're happy with your 4K display's upscaling, and it's not HDR, then there's little benefit in the McCable. If wrong, please clarify.
post #39 of 129 Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
So you have a Darbee and an mCable? Which version?
Michael
Cinema Edition (latest release)
post #40 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Excellent. And you notice an improvement in the picture with each individually and more of an improvement with both together?
My silver edition arrives Saturday.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #41 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 293
i feel like we need some pictures here to demonstrate the capabilities...like using regular cable vs. this for upscaling.
post #42 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Coming soon, I promise!
Keep in mind, though, that taking a picture of a TV screen is difficult, so, while you'll probably be able to tell that the cable is doing something (at least that's what I'm hoping), documenting it may be difficult. I'm interested is seeing if/how it changes my calibration (HCFR).
Stay tuned.
Michael
rboster and humbland like this.

post #43 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Excellent. And you notice an improvement in the picture with each individually and more of an improvement with both together?
My silver edition arrives Saturday.
Michael
Yes, both together. But you can see the improvements with the cable alone also. Please keep in mind that the difference is not going to be a night and day difference (At least in my case) when using the cable without Darbee.
post #44 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If I'm understanding you:
You output your cable box at 1080i, then have your AVR upscale it to 1080p, then you have the Mcable take over, then the Darbee? That's a lot of processing...

Yeah man, the more processing the merrier. Every piece working together harmoniously.
post #45 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I've checked out the Marseille sites tech info, and it would appear the McCable upscales a 1080P image to UHD 4K. This would replace the upscaling of a 4K tv/pj, and only benefit color if the display unit was HDR. So, if you're happy with your 4K display's upscaling, and it's not HDR, then there's little benefit in the McCable. If wrong, please clarify.
The mcable only upscales 24/25/30 Hz content up to 4K. Content with higher frame rates will output at a maximum resolution of 1080p. The picture enhancements (detail enhancement, edge restoration, noise reduction) are the other benefits that this cable provides.
rboster likes this.
post #46 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Discount Code Through 8/31/2017

Just a heads up for anyone set on buying the new version (Cinema or Gaming).

There is a 20% Off code, through 8/31/2017, on the Marseille Inc. store. PSVRfrank-mCable

I found it on PSVR frank's channel review video for the gaming edition, in the comments by user J D (the review itself is largely non-technical).

I've contacted Marseille about the differences between the two editions, especially to try and obtain some kind of full-featured comparison.
post #47 of 129 Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah man, the more processing the merrier. Every piece working together harmoniously.

Believe it or not, utilizing the mCable and the Darbee together HAS been extremely harmonious. The mCable's detail enhancement allows me to to use higher Darbee settings without artifacting.

Also, the mCable's upscaling ability is outstanding across the board. My Vizio P-65 upscales 1080i and 720p very well, but does not do so well with 480i (which is the only resolution a few of my cable channels -- American Heroes Channel and Chiller, for example -- come in). The mCable helps all of my cable channels, either through upscaling or detail enhancement, and the picture looks fabulous.

I have the new Cinema Edition, by the way.
post #48 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I get told I have too much processing to.

1st route
source video - > dvdo duo video processor - > Darbee 5000s - > dvdo mini - > TV

2nd route
source video - > dvdo duo video processor - > elite HD activeHD (same as older gen cables VTV 1222 chipset)

I did have the active HD after dvdo mini but sometimes experienced sync issues.

I also owned the older Darbee the difference between then is the newer ones picture looks less processed nit much of difference really.

dvdo duo does deinteracing tasks and Darbee for sharpening and mini for halo ring and slight noise reduction.

My setup is only HD for now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #49 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here we go. HTPC to AVR (Pio SC-1222) to Darbee (first generation) to TV (Samsung plasma):

Silver edition mCable ($30 ebay sale), cable between AVR and Darbee:

Messes up grayscale, too (solid yellow; dotted yellow is no mCable):

mCable between Darbee and TV (solid yellow; dotted yellow is no mCable):

Much less of an effect on colors, but still oversharped. Photographs of screen:

Darbee only:

mCable before Darbee:

mCable after Darbee:

mCable only (Darbee attached but off):

Interestingly, if you unplug the USB to the mCable, it doesn't work at all.

So, unfortunately, I won't be using mine. As always, YMMV. I'm eager to see other results.

And if someone would let me know how to resize the image in Imgur, I'd appreciate it (RIP PhotoBucket).

Michael

post #50 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"So, unfortunately, I won't be using mine." Why is that?
LBNL, thanks for the screen shots, but it's really difficult to tell much (at least for me). What is your subjective assessment of the overall picture improvements? Also, what did you think the best order of the chain was?

I'm still hoping that someone can get a handle on what the actual differences are between the various Mcable generations???
Our elevated cathedral ceiling mount involves a lot of logistics to implement equipment changes at the projector. I want to give the Mcable a try, but I want limit the trips up the 12 foot ladder...Hoping that people can help do the R&D.
post #51 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here we go. HTPC to AVR (Pio SC-1222) to Darbee (first generation) to TV (Samsung plasma):

Spoiler!

Interestingly, if you unplug the USB to the mCable, it doesn't work at all.

So, unfortunately, I won't be using mine. As always, YMMV. I'm eager to see other results.

And if someone would let me know how to resize the image in Imgur, I'd appreciate it (RIP PhotoBucket).

Michael

Quote:
"So, unfortunately, I won't be using mine." Why is that?
LBNL, thanks for the screen shots, but it's really difficult to tell much (at least for me). What is your subjective assessment of the overall picture improvements? Also, what did you think the best order of the chain was?

I'm still hoping that someone can get a handle on what the actual differences are between the various Mcable generations???
Our elevated cathedral ceiling mount involves a lot of logistics to implement equipment changes at the projector. I want to give the Mcable a try, but I want limit the trips up the 12 foot ladder...Hoping that people can help do the R&D.
Thanks for the screen shots!

Based on the test pattern screen shots, it certainly looks like the darbee only produced the best (cleanest) image of all the combinations.

Whenever someone puts forth the effort to not only test the products, but provide on-line images for us to view is really appreciated.....again thanks!

Ron

post #52 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is your subjective assessment of the overall picture improvements? Also, what did you think the best order of the chain was?
There were no picture improvements. The sharpening was way too severe; text (it's an HTPC, after all) was much less readable, images looked posterized. Colors before the Darbee were completely messed up; after the Darbee, pretty much unaffected. It's back in the box.
Perhaps I got a "buggy" one. I won't know unless someone else has a similar experience.
Michael

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 08-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.
post #53 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
again thanks!
My pleasure. That's why I wanted you to start the thread.
Michael

post #54 of 129 Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My pleasure. That's why I wanted you to start the thread.
Michael
I know it takes some time and effort, so it's appreciated, My hope is the new edition made the necessary changes to fine tune the image.

post #55 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
There were no picture improvements. The sharpening was way too severe; text (it's an HTPC, after all) was much less readable, images looked posterized. Colors before the Darbee were completely messed up; after the Darbee, pretty much unaffected. It's back in the box.
Perhaps I got a "buggy" one. I won't know unless someone else has a similar experience.
Michael
I'd pretty much have to agree. I've been using mine since Thursday and don't really notice any picture difference The silver with orange band version we both own are considered legacy by Marseille...and the second generation are EOL. They got a lot of hype before and after introduction then basically mention died off. The 'bug' with my cable is that I got a purple screen on my Panasonic plasma set when I first turned the TV on and I thought 'oh great'. Then I turned on my Denon AVR and the picture appeared. Turned off the receiver and the picture went blank. At this point I think it's because I have splitter installed after the Darbee. One feed goes to the HDTV and the other to my Panasonic projector. Put back the original HDMI cable and problem disappeared. I assume it's an EDID problem in the mCable. Oh well it was worth a shot, I've peed away money on lot of things over the years.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 08-12-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #56 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Putting Moderator Hat on:

Word of caution with throwing out terms like snake oil etc....please refrain from doing so.

post #57 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I use the latest generation (Cinema Edition) with my Darbee and I'm very happy with the combo.
post #58 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I use the latest generation (Cinema Edition) with my Darbee and I'm very happy with the combo.
What display are you using?
post #59 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I bit the bullet and got the older Ultra ($30 ebay) model and installed it on our V series Panasonic plasma (because it was a relatively simple install/test). With the signal path, I put it front of the Darbee and so far, not much difference with Dtv. Subjectively, the edge enhancement seems enhanced to some extent, but it's not a dramatic upgrade. There is a 14 day return period with the ebay merchant, but no return shipping.
FWIW, I emailed the Marseille CS. They immediately responded, saying that the latest (Cinema) edition was specifically designed for movie enhancement. Also, they verified that they offer a 15 day return policy. I'm thinking of ordering one and trying it with our DLP PJ.
Any other experiences out there?

Last edited by humbland; 08-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #60 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
What display are you using?
I use it to connect Oppo-103 to Darbee, then to mCable, to OLED65E6P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement