MARSEILLE MCABLE (internal processor) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have no experience with either of the new editions (or the previous), but I did get some additional info. from Marseille:

• Both editions use the VTV-1224B processor, but the running algorithms are different
  • The Gaming Edition detects Blu-ray content and switches to same processing as Cinema Edition (UPDATE: Cinema mode detection limited to 1080p24 content)
  • Anti-aliasing is exclusive to the Gaming Edition, along with some form of detail enhancement targeted towards rendered textures

Last edited by Ange1Rob0t; 08-13-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Thanks for the info.
From the Amazon review Q&A section: The processor in the Cinema edition is indeed a newer model (then in the Ultra edition).
There is a surprising lack of pertinent information available online. One hypothesis is that the older editions were not selling well and were perceived as minimally helpful. So Marseille upped their game with the new model (and discounted the older one). The few references that I can find (including here), seem to indicate that the newer model has some benefit. Until someone does a side by side comparison, it's conjecture...
post #63 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Putting Moderator Hat on:

Word of caution with throwing out terms like snake oil etc....please refrain from doing so.
Edited my post. Peace.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #64 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I use it to connect Oppo-103 to Darbee, then to mCable, to OLED65E6P
Looks like a nice display. Does it upscale 1080P to 4K and HDR on it's own? If so, I assume you like the performance of the MCable better.
post #65 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
I use the latest generation (Cinema Edition) with my Darbee and I'm very happy with the combo.

I am as well. My display is a Vizio P65-C1.
post #66 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Looks like a nice display. Does it upscale 1080P to 4K and HDR on it's own? If so, I assume you like the performance of the MCable better.
Yes, it does. I watched interstellar recently and mCable seems to do an excellent job.
post #67 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I'd pretty much have to agree. I've been using mine since Thursday and don't really notice any picture difference The silver with orange band version we both own are considered legacy by Marseille...and the second generation are EOL. They got a lot of hype before and after introduction then basically mention died off. The 'bug' with my cable is that I got a purple screen on my Panasonic plasma set when I first turned the TV on and I thought 'oh great'. Then I turned on my Denon AVR and the picture appeared. Turned off the receiver and the picture went blank. At this point I think it's because I have splitter installed after the Darbee. One feed goes to the HDTV and the other to my Panasonic projector. Put back the original HDMI cable and problem disappeared. I assume it's an EDID problem in the mCable. Oh well it was worth a shot, I've peed away money on lot of things over the years.
Mine is going back too. I have "issues", but I think that I can chalk it up to "operator error" (operator ignorance).
After playing around with the ebay model for a day, I came to realize that it made an incremental improvement with some some DTV 720p sources. However, my plasma TV (and DLP PJ) are only 1080p capable. If you feed the plasma a 1080p signal with the mcable in the chain, I get a blank screen. My guess is that the mcable is upscaling the 1080p image to 4K, which the display can not display.
When we finally go to a 4K display, I can see the benefit of the mcable, til then, 1080p+Darbee seems the sweet spot.
Oh well, experimentation is part of the hobby. Hope you guys have better luck...
post #68 of 129 Old 08-12-2017, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Well, I bit the bullet and got the older Ultra ($30 ebay) model and installed it on our V series Panasonic plasma (because it was a relatively simple install/test). With the signal path, I put it front of the Darbee and so far, not much difference with Dtv. Subjectively, the edge enhancement seems enhanced to some extent, but it's not a dramatic upgrade. There is a 14 day return period with the ebay merchant, but no return shipping.
FWIW, I emailed the Marseille CS. They immediately responded, saying that the latest (Cinema) edition was specifically designed for movie enhancement. Also, they verified that they offer a 15 day return policy. I'm thinking of ordering one and trying it with our DLP PJ.
Any other experiences out there?
Hi,
Are they sold out? I cant find any sub 60$ mCables on ebay, can you post a link?

Thanks
post #69 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
They were on sale for a while.
Keep an eye out - the ones we return will probably be on sale again.

Michael

Actually, here they are:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Cable-U....c100691.m4814
Lucky you.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 08-13-2017 at 01:05 AM.
post #70 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I use the latest generation (Cinema Edition) with my Darbee and I'm very happy with the combo.
I have the ultra version and and a Darbee and I'm happy as well. I have a Samsung KS9800.

Quick question for those who use both, is the mCable being placed before or after the Darbee? I have mine after the Darbee. I'm not sure if it would affect much but I figured I'd ask.
post #71 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Mine is going back too. I have "issues", but I think that I can chalk it up to "operator error" (operator ignorance).
After playing around with the ebay model for a day, I came to realize that it made an incremental improvement with some some DTV 720p sources. However, my plasma TV (and DLP PJ) are only 1080p capable. If you feed the plasma a 1080p signal with the mcable in the chain, I get a blank screen. My guess is that the mcable is upscaling the 1080p image to 4K, which the display can not display.
When we finally go to a 4K display, I can see the benefit of the mcable, til then, 1080p+Darbee seems the sweet spot.
Oh well, experimentation is part of the hobby. Hope you guys have better luck...
You could be right since we are both dealing with 1080p displays. Whenever true 4K projectors become affordable enough I may test it out again. Until then as you say in our case 1080p + Darbee is the sweet spot.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #72 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViruzzX View Post
Hi,
Are they sold out? I cant find any sub 60$ mCables on ebay, can you post a link?

Thanks
Here's the one I got. It shows a picture of silver version but I received the rose gold ultra version.
https://www.tanga.com/deals/c49447ae...ing-hdmi-cable
post #73 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyakko View Post
I have the ultra version and and a Darbee and I'm happy as well. I have a Samsung KS9800.

Quick question for those who use both, is the mCable being placed before or after the Darbee? I have mine after the Darbee. I'm not sure if it would affect much but I figured I'd ask.
If you're feeding a 4K TV, you don't have a choice. The signal must go to Darbee first and then to mCable and then to TV.

Keep that in mind that Darbee does not pass a 4K signal.
But if you have a 1080p TV, the setup order doesn't matter.
post #74 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
If you're feeding a 4K TV, you don't have a choice. The signal must go to Darbee first and then to mCable and then to TV.

You are absolutely correct. And I thought I would pass along something that a Marseille tech passed along to me during a prolonged email conversation:

"Unfortunately it is a limitation of our current generation processor that does not output 4K60. On the other hand, I also want to stress that the mCable's unique pixel processing is not limited to up-scaling, but also in compression artifact removal and contrast/detail enhancement. And usually the latter ones are where you can see the major quality improvements happening."

As a result, she told me to set video output on my TiVo Bolt to:
1. 480p
2. 720p
3. 1080p (pass-thru only)
4. 4K (pass-thru only)

By following her advice, I can report that I am immensely pleased with my picture. The mCable does such a good job of decreasing/eliminating artifacts that I am able to set my Darbee to higher values than I could before - and I love the results!
rboster likes this.
post #75 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't say that the order absolutely doesn't matter. Both the mCable and Darbee do video processing per pixel so the pixels each processor receives theoretically could be different depending on the setup order which could lead to different results. I was curious because the three of us that have reported positive results are all using 4K televisions and that would require us to place the mcable after the Darbee in order to take advantage of the upscaling. We didn't have a choice but I wonder if the setup order does make a difference for those that do.
post #76 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Those that are using the newest version with a projector....do you have the mcable directly into the projector? Or, can it be placed before the long run/hdmi cable?

Source>Darbee>mcable>hdmi long run>projector?

Source>darbee>hdmi long run>mcable>projector?

Thoughts?

For Sale JVC DLA-X750R/RS500 Projector includes two lamps

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...l#post54970964
post #77 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say that the order absolutely doesn't matter. Both the mCable and Darbee do video processing per pixel so the pixels each processor receives theoretically could be different depending on the setup order which could lead to different results. I was curious because the three of us that have reported positive results are all using 4K televisions and that would require us to place the mcable after the Darbee in order to take advantage of the upscaling. We didn't have a choice but I wonder if the setup order does make a difference for those that do.
There is nothing in common between Darbee and mCable. They do totally different things. Why would it matter what order they are in if the TV is a 1080p display?????
post #78 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is nothing in common between Darbee and mCable. They do totally different things. Why would it matter what order they are in if the TV is a 1080p display?????
My $.02.
At least from my experience, the only way to benefit from the mCable using a 1080p display would be if you set your source output to down res 1080p sources to 720p. This would effectively allow the mCable to upscale the 720p to 1080p while removing the "artifacts". While this is possible to do, it means taking a good 1080p signal and processing it multiple times. In my experience, the 1080p signals from Blu-ray, Roku, etc. are already excellent (especially with Darbee added).
Most DTV HD is in 1080i, which the mCable just passes through without "improving". The few that are 720p look pretty good (with Darbee). The 720p signals tend to involve sports and fast motion (ie ESPN and FOX Sports1). 720p works very well for sports.
While it may be possible to manually tweak the signal source each time (to use/not use the mCable), it's too much hassle for me. I'm more "set it and forget it".
I think for people who have 4K displays, the mCable makes sense. For the rest of us, not so much. YRMV.
post #79 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why would it matter what order they are in if the TV is a 1080p display?????
I have no idea, but see my results, above.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #80 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Quote:
Those that are using the newest version with a projector....do you have the mcable directly into the projector? Or, can it be placed before the long run/hdmi cable?

Source>Darbee>mcable>hdmi long run>projector?

Source>darbee>hdmi long run>mcable>projector?

Thoughts?
I read somewhere that the mCable should be after the long hdmi to the PJ. Above option 2.
rboster likes this.
post #81 of 129 Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I read somewhere that the mCable should be after the long hdmi to the PJ. Above option 2.
Thanks. That makes sense. Just thinking thought it, having the processing take place right before feeding it to the projector may help in terms of syncing with the jvc.

post #82 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I was inquiring to see if the order of the applied picture processing affected the final image. While it is true that each applies completely different forms of processing, the source image/video that each receives could possibly be different depending on the order. For example, if the mCable is before the Darbee, the Darbee receives the mCable processed video instead of video that was not processed by the mCable if the mCable is placed after the Darbee. This may or may not make a difference in the final picture but I was curious as to which order people were using.
post #83 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was inquiring to see if the order of the applied picture processing affected the final image. While it is true that each applies completely different forms of processing, the source image/video that each receives could possibly be different depending on the order. For example, if the mCable is before the Darbee, the Darbee receives the mCable processed video instead of video that was not processed by the mCable if the mCable is placed after the Darbee. This may or may not make a difference in the final picture but I was curious as to which order people were using.
If the newer versions (cinema) Mcable is upscaling to a 4k signal, then wouldn't the darbee need to be before the mcable?

post #84 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the newer versions (cinema) Mcable is upscaling to a 4k signal, then wouldn't the darbee need to be before the mcable?
That's how it seems to me...The Darbee will not work on 4K sources (yet).
Just not enough mCable user data to get a clear picture (HT humor) about the parameters and possibilities.
I actually emailed Marseille tech dept to see if any of the mCable variations will work with 1080p displays (if fed 1080p signals). So far, no word back. As I said earlier, Blu-ray and Roku are already high quality 1080p signals. If you put an mCable in front of the 1080p display, then you are probably going to see a blank screen...
Our family will hopefully get to 4K displays at some point, but by then the built in upscalers in the 4K sets will probably be the cat's meow.
I suppose that if you watched a lot DVDs or lower resolution sources, then the mCable could benefit 1080p people.
I'll post back when I hear back from Marseille tech.
post #85 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, that would be the only way the mCable would be able to upscale to 4k.
post #86 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I actually emailed Marseille tech dept to see if any of the mCable variations will work with 1080p displays (if fed 1080p signals). So far, no word back. As I said earlier, Blu-ray and Roku are already high quality 1080p signals. If you put an mCable in front of the 1080p display, then you are probably going to see a blank screen...
It works with 1080p signals. I have two mCables with one connected to a 1080p display with a Roku sending a 1080p signal. It is a 2008 Samsung model tv. It is connected to the Roku with a female-female HDMI coupler. I have the ultra mCable model same as you. That stinks that it just gives you a blank screen when you play 1080p content.
post #87 of 129 Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 PM

After seeing Michael's excellent presentation of his calibration results, I decided to share my results and observations in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, I don't know how to include the pictures in the post itself so they are just attachments (first time picture post for this guy ). Now, without further ado...

My setup is: source -> receiver -> darbee -> mCable Ultra -> dvdo iscan mini -> Samsung 4K tv
A couple things about this chain:
--the mCable only outputs 1080p at a maximum. I believe this is due to the iscan mini somehow.
--the iscan mini is set to upscale only mode. No iscan specific enhancements are being applied.

Image descriptions
1. grayscale no mCable attached
2. grayscale with mCable attached
3. color diagram no mCable attached
4. color diagram with mCable attached

5 - 8. sharpness test pattern
--5. no mCable attached and Darbee at 0%
--6. no mCable attached and Darbee at 60%
--7. mCable attached and Darbee at 0%
--8. mCable attached and Darbee at 60%

Notes and Observations

Grayscale and Color measurements were minimally affected. One thing I observed was that the black level was higher with the mCable attached. Looking back, I think that I should've saved the measurement showing the slight increase in black level. The measurement with the mCable here is after I adjusted the Brightness setting from 45 to 43 on my set to match the black level before attaching the mCable. However, it does show the lower luminance (Y) values across the board due to dropping the Brightness setting.

The sharpness test pattern looks almost identical whether Darbee is on or off. There are differences between when the mCable is attached and when it is not. The first one would be the odd effect that is created around the section under the "AVS HD 709" section. It looks like the mCable's processing creates a border around this section. I also noticed is how the diagonal lines and curves in the text in top four boxes are no longer jagged. The only other thing there is (or may be) is a slight edge enhancement applied to the text to the right with the blue background.

I didn't include the 1080p measurements because the results were pretty much the same. If someone would like to see them just for kicks I can post them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grayscale no mcable ks.JPG (66.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg grayscale mcable ks.JPG (64.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg color no mcable ks.JPG (93.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg color mcable ks.JPG (103.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg no m no d sm.jpg (646.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg no m with d sm.jpg (620.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg with m no d sm.jpg (600.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg with m with d sm.jpg (601.9 KB, 19 views)
rboster and markrubin like this.
post #88 of 129 Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It works with 1080p signals. I have two mCables with one connected to a 1080p display with a Roku sending a 1080p signal. It is a 2008 Samsung model tv. It is connected to the Roku with a female-female HDMI coupler. I have the ultra mCable model same as you. That stinks that it just gives you a blank screen when you play 1080p content.
I have an update:
Late yesterday, I got a response from Marseille tech dept. They indicated that the mCable will indeed work with 1080p displays and automatically output the correct 1080p resolution. However, they also mentioned some specific parameters that effect "compatibility" (their vernacular).
For DTV, the display "settings" box for 1080i should be unchecked. This will have the DTV receiver down-res the 1080i signals to 720p (which the mCable can process).
For Blu-ray, the 1080p output from the player will be processed, but remain unchanged.
For Roku, it sounds as if there are compatibility "issues". The tech indicated to me that if the Roku is set to output 1080p, then it will upscale all HD sources to 1080p. Apparently this does not sit well with the mCable, as it works best with "native" resolutions. I sent another email inquiring about this, but they have not had time to respond.

So, I unpacked my mCable Ultra and hooked it up again. After some further experimentation, it appears that the Darbee "shields" the mCable from "reading" the 1080p display's "native" resolution. In order to get a more consistent output, the Darbee must be before the mCable in the 1080p chain. However, I was still experiencing some sort of "sync issue with some Blu-ray content, leading to a blank screen. I could pause and restart the player and get a picture again. I have no idea if this is a wide spread phenomena or a one of (with this disc). My guess is that the mCable was designed to work by itself. The Darbee introduces another device (and cable) into the HDMI chain. HDMI sync issues are widespread already. The extra connections probably do not always play well together. Thoughts?

Also, those of you with a Darbee and a 1080p display, please see if you can verify that having the Darbee before the mCable effectively disables the Darbee? That is, with the Darbee after the mCable, it "works" some of the time. With the Darbee before the mCable, the image displays consistently, but I could get no perceptible Darbee change in the image itself. I tried the Darbee "test" images, and even in split screen, I could see no change...
The bottom line is: For me, with our 1080p display, the two do not appear to play well together. If the mCable is used by itself, you can see a consistent 1080p image. It is indeed upscaled and subjectively "smoother" and perhaps more saturated. By itself (no mCable), the Darbee effect seems to add sharpness and contrast, but you are then watching some 720p HD images. Take your pick. To me, the Darbee alone seems like the way to go. YRMV.

I'm interested in other's findings. Is anyone else out there using a Darbee/mCable/1080p display combination? IF so, have you experimented with the order and input settings? Please post your findings.

kbyakko, you mentioned using the mCable Ultra with your Roku. Do you have a Darbee in the chain? How do you have the Roku set up to output? Do you get a consistent response from say Netflix and Amazon videos on your 1080p set?

Last edited by humbland; 08-15-2017 at 08:37 AM.
post #89 of 129 Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know how to include the pictures in the post itself so they are just attachments (first time picture post for this guy ).
Thanks for going to the trouble.
You need an external image-hosting site. PhotoBucket used to be popular until they decided to charge for the service. That's why you see so many posts asking to upgrade the PB account. I use TinyPic, which is okay as long as you have an ad blocker for your browser. I just started using Imgur. I'm sure there are others.
You upload the image there, then use the link on that site in your post. Experiment in the post testing area; that's what it's for:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/46-post-testing-area/
What are your SUBJECTIVE feelings about the mCable; do you think it makes a difference?
Michael

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 08-15-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #90 of 129 Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
kbyakko, you mentioned using the mCable Ultra with your Roku. Do you have a Darbee in the chain? How do you have the Roku set up to output? Do you get a consistent response from say Netflix and Amazon videos on your 1080p set?

I do not have a darbee connected to the 1080p tv. I have the Roku set to 1080p and the picture response in solid. I have experienced no video outages.

That's interesting that the darbee effect appears to be reduced for you. What level is your darbee set to? I'll have to see how the darbee + mcable set works on the 1080p tv to see if I can replicate what you have going on. I definitely notice the on/off effect on the tv that the darbee is currently connect to.

I'm not sure what setup you have but if you have a receiver capable of scaling/deinterlacing, have you tried setting your cable box to output 1080i and having the receiver deinterlace it to output 1080p? My cable box only gives me a choice to output 720p or 1080i and I prefer the 1080i output deinterlaced by the receiver. That said, it could just be unintentional bias since I know 1080i content won't be downscaled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page