Need help with Composite to HDMI converter. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MasturB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help with Composite to HDMI converter.

Hello, I recently purchased this Composite to HDMI converter here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on taking all my dad's old family home videos on VHS and transferring them to harddrive to burn on DVD later on.

I have two issues with it though:
1) The L and R stereo channels are flipped.
2) The converter is automatically upscale stretching everything 4:3 to 16:9 wide, so the picture is severely distorted and stretched. I have to go in and manually adjust the image to force it to 4:3.
3) Some distortion noise on the audio going in and out, tried new cables and still same issue.


I am using my video game hdmi capture device but that isn't the issue it's the converter itself.

Can anyone here recommend to me a composite to HDMI that preserves the original aspect ratio of the VHS/Composite output (in this case 4:3) and has the proper audio channels where they should be not mixed up? I'd be willing to pay morem than what I did for the cheap one on Amazon, I just thought it would convert the signal flush with no issues but that isn't the case.

Last edited by MasturB; 09-01-2017 at 03:42 AM.
MasturB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
oldavman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Central Illinois, Metro St. Louis
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasturB View Post
Hello, I recently purchased this Composite to HDMI converter here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on taking all my dad's old family home videos on VHS and transferring them to harddrive to burn on DVD later on.

I have two issues with it though:
1) The L and R stereo channels are flipped.
2) The converter is automatically upscale stretching everything 4:3 to 16:9 wide, so the picture is severely distorted and stretched. I have to go in and manually adjust the image to force it to 4:3.
3) Some distortion noise on the audio going in and out, tried new cables and still same issue.


I am using my video game hdmi capture device but that isn't the issue it's the converter itself.

Can anyone here recommend to me a composite to HDMI that preserves the original aspect ratio of the VHS/Composite output (in this case 4:3) and has the proper audio channels where they should be not mixed up? I'd be willing to pay morem than what I did for the cheap one on Amazon, I just thought it would convert the signal flush with no issues but that isn't the case.
You need a sclaer/converter:
They are not inexpensive, but if you have several tapes to transfer to DVD the investment may well be worth it.
Check out this model from AV Tool Box:
1T-VS-658 HDMI Video Scalers
1T-VS-658 Video Scaler is a professional Up and Cross Converter with an HDMI output. Fully scaleable video inputs include HDMI, DVI (via the HDMI connector), Analog RGB via an HD-15, Analog YPbPr or 480i/576i YUV Component via three RCA, YC and Composite Video.


Key Features of the 1T-VS-658
  • HDMI Output Resolutions to WUXGA and 1080p
  • Inputs: HDMI, RGB, YPbPr, YUV, YC (S-Video), CV
  • Both Analog and Digital Audio Capable
  • Audio Delay for Lip Sync Corrections
  • 3D Motion Adaptive De-Interlace & Noise Reduction
  • 3:2 Pull-Down w/2:2 Pull-Down Recovery
  • Infrared Remote Control
  • Locking DC Power Supply
  • Optional Single/Dual Rackmount Kit
oldavman is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MasturB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldavman View Post
You need a sclaer/converter:
They are not inexpensive, but if you have several tapes to transfer to DVD the investment may well be worth it.
Check out this model from AV Tool Box:
1T-VS-658 HDMI Video Scalers
1T-VS-658 Video Scaler is a professional Up and Cross Converter with an HDMI output. Fully scaleable video inputs include HDMI, DVI (via the HDMI connector), Analog RGB via an HD-15, Analog YPbPr or 480i/576i YUV Component via three RCA, YC and Composite Video.


Key Features of the 1T-VS-658
  • HDMI Output Resolutions to WUXGA and 1080p
  • Inputs: HDMI, RGB, YPbPr, YUV, YC (S-Video), CV
  • Both Analog and Digital Audio Capable
  • Audio Delay for Lip Sync Corrections
  • 3D Motion Adaptive De-Interlace & Noise Reduction
  • 3:2 Pull-Down w/2:2 Pull-Down Recovery
  • Infrared Remote Control
  • Locking DC Power Supply
  • Optional Single/Dual Rackmount Kit

Hmm. Not sure I'd be able to afford that by Christmas. That's when I was gonna give it to him. There's anywhere between 12-15 VHS tapes worth of our family home videos. I'm pretty certain we recorded them all in EP because we were poor and cheap so had to be able to use as much of the tape as possible.

Here's my question, if I can get the seller on Amazon to send me a good one where the audio channels are not mismatched, and I use my capture device to transfer the VHS footage to my Mac, could I not just purchase some software online to readjust the aspect ratio without losing any information or quality?

When I go into picture settings on my TV and change to 4:3, it looks exactly how it's supposed to. But the upscale converter I bought stretches the image to 16:9. However the picture quality still looks very good considering it's an old VHS tape likely recorded on low quality. There has to be a program I can upload the footage into and readjust the aspect ratio from 16:9 stretched to 4:3 and retain the same quality.
MasturB is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MasturB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@oldavman I created a drop box to show you what I was talking about. I used my elgato60hd capture device with the composite to hdmi converter. Keep in mind the stereo channels are flipped and L should be R and R should be L.

Here is the link to the raw clip after I captured it. Notice how it's stretched widescreen because of the converter/upscaler outputting it stretching and scaling it to 1920x1080.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms10w2wq2j...pture.mp4?dl=0

Here is the link to the raw clip put in Movavi Video Converter and changing the aspect ratio from 1920x1080 (16:9) to 1440x1080 (4:3)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5wx04hxgq...80mp4.mp4?dl=0

Here is link to the clip adjusted to 640x480 (4:3)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykp69fa5ne...43480.mp4?dl=0


Notice the sound in all has that bad feedback noise. I'm assuming it's likely the tape is getting worse, although I should test the tape on a regular VCR-CRT first to determine that it's not the upscaler converter that's getting a bad signal conversion. I have friends whom are students that use Adobe Audition. Maybe I can get them to try and isolate and remove the bad buzzing noise or at least suppress it, so it's not as loud as our voices in the tapes.

Kind of a dumb question, since I only have the pixels outputted by the VHS and you can't increase quality, is my upscaled 1440x1080 (4:3) clip (#2 ) essentially redundant with the 640:480 (4:3) clip (#) I made? I was planning on burning to DVD's, but I also thought about burning it on a blu-ray and using the empty space around the 4:3 box to put some pictures or information on the screen. I was wondering because clip #1 is 101.4 mb, clip #2 is 18.8 and clip #3 is 5.6 mb. I'm trying to figure out what is all that extra information being added to make the filesize vary despite the VHS outputting the max quality that isn't 1080i.

Last edited by MasturB; 09-01-2017 at 09:21 AM.
MasturB is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Capture device - I use the Black Magic Intensity with a Panasonic S-VHS deck and my iMac. Quirky at first but works well once you get it fathomed out - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/intensity

You can spend forever trying to work out how some of these things work and how to get them configured.

Joe

PS AUDIO LR - is your Dad likely to notice it has been flipped?

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Joe Fernand is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MasturB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Capture device - I use the Black Magic Intensity with a Panasonic S-VHS deck and my iMac. Quirky at first but works well once you get it fathomed out - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/intensity

You can spend forever trying to work out how some of these things work and how to get them configured.

Joe

PS AUDIO LR - is your Dad likely to notice it has been flipped?

Hi Joe, I already have a transfer device, I am just looking for a proper scaler.

My dad wouldn't likely notice, but it's something I would when I'd watch it. I want to preserve it correctly more than anything.

I may shell out extra for the TV One scaler, and I'm also looking at this Gefen Comp to HDMI scaler A few hundred dollars cheaper and easier to find used ones.
MasturB is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2017, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
With Composite, S-Video, YUV and HDMI Inputs there is no requirement for a Scaler with the Intensity Shuttle!

I'd give one a go if you can - I can't see any benefit in an expensive two box solution.

Joe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Joe Fernand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off