post #91 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by ebrigham
...Has anyone been able to get the "test pattern" menu to work? I can't seem to select mine. Am I missing something?
Once you scroll down to the test patterns item on the OSD, have you tried to hit a right arrow? That should give you a choice among the various patterns. Again, scroll down to the one you want to select and then hit a right arrow, and that should do it. If that isn't working, something is wrong.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Once you scroll down to the test patterns item on the OSD, have you tried to hit a right arrow? That should give you a choice among the various patterns. Again, scroll down to the one you want to select and then hit a right arrow, and that should do it. If that isn't working, something is wrong.
Hello again Alan. I did indeed try to select the pattern via the right arrow button, to no avail. Instead of going to a test pattern screen (which I surmise is supposed to happen), it just does nothing. I don't even think the menu goes away - like hitting a brick wall. I also tried hitting the "menu" button as well, but that doesn't work obviously.

I WAS successful in altering/tweaking/selecting all the other HD Leeza adjustments (Resolution, aspect ratio, pic controls, etc etc etc), so I don't think my fundamental technique is screwy. But hopefully I did do something wrong and I will check again tonight. If not, I plan to call Key Digital support and/or re-load the firmware.

So just to confirm, you have updated to 5.5.55 and ARE able to use the patterns correct?
post #93 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ebrigham
...So just to confirm, you have updated to 5.5.55 and ARE able to use the patterns correct?
Yes, that's right, I am able to use the patterns (although I admit that I continue to use AVIA rather than these patterns since I'm not entirely sure how to use them to set the white and black levels with any real precision). Very odd that yours doesn't work. Be sure to let us know how this comes out.

Alan
post #94 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ebrigham,

very very odd. You might want to try an older firmware version to see if it will help.

Alan,

These are useful if you have a color analyzer that would allow you to make sure your output settings are correct (to set up the brightness and contrast on the HD LEEZA's outputs). After you have the HD LEEZA's outputs properly set up, you can use AVIA/DVE to set up the per-input settings through the HD LEEZA.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #95 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To get correct settings you should always calibrate using patterns coming from the source, ie AVIA for DVD, DVE for DVHS, and *not* the scaler...

Mark.

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #96 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Off the topic but has anyone got their 12 V trigger to work??
I have a question regarding the inputs as well. Ofer, you could answer this, what is the remote power input for. I ass-u-me (hope) its for a niles IR repeater type device?? The instructions are horrible.

Thanks,

Marc
post #97 of 430 Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mark_H,

What I have found useful is to put on AVIA (if you have professional grade equipment, the scaler test patterns may work instead) through an SDI signal with all the settings set to default and calibrate the SCREEN for that input.

Then, for other inputs, use AVIA test patterns to change the SCALER's settings on a per-input basis, so that they match the correct values.

So, the scaler's test patterns come in useful only in the first stage, and you still have to use AVIA to calibrate on a per-input basis ANYWAY....

BTW, if you guys need a good "beginner's calibration guide", Lumagen has a great one on their scaler. Reading through it was a real revelation.

Morg111,

From what I can recall, that input jack is basically a simple connector wihtout any "protocol" nor any IR repeater. The connector has two wires on it. If you connect them to eachother, this should toggle power to the scaler.

As far as I know, that's how it works.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #98 of 430 Old 12-18-2003, 08:58 AM

Quote:
From what I can recall, that input jack is basically a simple connector wihtout any "protocol" nor any IR repeater. The connector has two wires on it. If you connect them to each other, this should toggle power to the scaler.

Now I am very confused. What is toggle power to the scaler. Wouldn't one just hit the power button to toggle power to the scaler. I want to plug a Niles repeater into the back of the unit via a 3.5mm phono jack (thus I won't have to put a flasher over the IR sensor on the front of the HDL). Most every scaler on the market has an IR receiver connection in the back.

Marc.
post #99 of 430 Old 12-18-2003, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Marc,

Which scalers have this?

Toggle power lets external devices switch the HD LEEZA on and off (but they would have to keep track of its status, as it's a toggle option).

IMO, you will need an IR blaster (what you call a flasher) connected to the front of the HDL.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #100 of 430 Old 12-19-2003, 07:54 AM

Ofer,

I was trying to avoid having to use a flasher on the front of the HDL. Flashers are slower than direct repeater connections. For one, all of the faroudja models have these inputs. Surround processors have IR receiver connections such as B&K's, Krell's, Lexicon's, Sunfire's ect, etc.

Marc
post #101 of 430 Old 12-19-2003, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think Faroudja might be the only video processors (maybe the CS series also has this) with this option.

In any case, this is not the situation for the HD LEEZA.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #102 of 430 Old 12-22-2003, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Did we ever get an answer about what the issue was with passing SD signal into the HD component inputs? This is REALLY going to be a PITA with HD Cable boxes!

Is it a hardware issue or something they can fix in firmware? If it can be fixed in firmware, I'd like to the be the first to request that it be done ASAP. If we need to do the 'reasons' again like we did with 1440x960p, I'm sure there are many others who are going to have the same issues I do.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #103 of 430 Old 12-22-2003, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Did we ever get an answer about what the issue was with passing SD signal into the HD component inputs? This is REALLY going to be a PITA with HD Cable boxes!

Is it a hardware issue or something they can fix in firmware? If it can be fixed in firmware, I'd like to the be the first to request that it be done ASAP. If we need to do the 'reasons' again like we did with 1440x960p, I'm sure there are many others who are going to have the same issues I do.
Yep, I agree.

Alan
post #104 of 430 Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I know they were discussing it a while back, but I'm not sure if this restriction is due to hardware or software, so it's hard to say if it will ever be fixed.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #105 of 430 Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

It sure would be great if both of the componate inputs could do 480i, 480p, and 1080i. This would make those inputs so much more versatile.

Another thing that would be good is NOT to have the menu show up every time you switch inputs or turn it on. If I need to go into the menu I can do it. But as it is now I must shut that thing off every time. It's like having someone talk over the movie. VERY DISTRACTING!

I am also having difficulty getting the inputs memorized. It will randomly choose a different aspect ratio and if I change the contrast/brightness it dose it to ALL the inputs. Anyone have any suggestions?

So far I am pretty happy with the HDL but I can tell I need to do some work on my focus for 1080p as this resolution is somewhat softer the 1080i pass thru on my 1292.

Thanks,
Allen
ISF Certified
www.avsensations.com
post #106 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 08:40 AM

Ofer,
or anyone that may have had this problem,

I just hooked my system today (Finally). When I use the SDI equiped RP62 into the HDL I am getting vertical dotted lines around brightly colored objects. It doesn't do that when I use my old DV-09 DVD player. Whats the story?

Marc
post #107 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Could be a problem with SDI on one of the two sides.

Did you try to check the component output (progressive!!) from the player and see what happens?

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #108 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 11:56 AM

Ofer,

I tried the component output. Plugging into the HDTV input I did NOT receive a signal, so I switched to the standard definition which displayed the picture though the lines were still visable. It can't be the HDL, becasue my other player did not send out the lines through the same input. Have you heard of this happening?

Marc
post #109 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 PM

Update to situation,

I figured out why there was no image on HDTV sources, I forgot to hit the progressive button on the front of the panny. But, regardless, it still was displaying the image with dotted blinking lines around objects on the screen.

So I think I am going to return the player, unless someone has a fix.

Marc...
post #110 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
morg
how was the image with your old dvd player on it, you are using the fujitsu plasma right?

-robert
post #111 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 PM

Ah, hey robert,

Forgot to send you that email. One word, WOW!!! The Fujitsu P50XHA10US with a HDL and a SDI DVD player, WOW. It looks better than I ever thought imaginable. That is saying alot too. I have spent a ton of money and time over the years tweaking for the best possible image with what ever display I had. This blows them all out of the water. Setup and sizing is a breeze (very compatable setup). Color depth and sharpness are amazing. My old player, which was a $1,500. Pioneer Elite DV-09 was not even close to the performance. I will send you a picture via email. Private message me your email.

Marc
post #112 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is what keeps me enamored with the HDL. The picture is just so damn nice that it is easiER to tolerate some of the quirks. Unfortunately, not being able to pass 480i and 1080i into the same input IS GOING TO BE A SHOWSTOPPER for me and anyone else with a HD cable box.
This running 2 cable boxes AND an OTA HD receiver is for the birds.

OTA HD - Local channels not yet on cable in HD(CBS)
Cable box 1 - Normal 480i cable channels
Cable box 2(HD) - HD channels (2 locals, Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO, Showtime, etc.)

Nothing like totally shooting the WAF when it comes to channel surfing..... Telling me to run S Video in parallel with the component is a band-aid addressing the symptom, not fixing the problem.

Please guys, address this issue. It is GOING to be an issue with a lot of folks very , very soon. If it can be fixed in firmware, that's great. Give us a bit of an idea how long we have to wait and I'll be satisfied. If it is a hardware issue, let us know if you plan to:

1. Address it as a free update
2. Offer an optional update ($$$)
3. Not address it at all. :(

Thanks in advance.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #113 of 430 Old 12-23-2003, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Morg111,

Just to rule things out completely, try the DVD player without the HD LEEZA in the loop at all.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #114 of 430 Old 12-24-2003, 01:01 PM

Ofer,

I will try that out when I get back from the Christmas insanity. In the meantime I have noticed when using the Sat source that there is significant pixelation (sp?) and digital banding (colored lines) down the right edge of a 4:3 image. I am using the RCA DTC100 sat box. I have set the retrace to short which makes HD images look great. Any thoughts? I will get back to this in a day or so. Happy Holidays!

Marc
post #115 of 430 Old 12-24-2003, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've got my CQC driver updated for this 5.5.55 release, which will be in the 1.1 CQC version, which will probably be out tomorrow or the day after. The control protocol still has some issues, but it's improved a since the last firmware version, and should be more stable.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #116 of 430 Old 12-25-2003, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, not being able to pass 480i and 1080i into the same input IS GOING TO BE A SHOWSTOPPER for me and anyone else with a HD cable box.
identical problems with satellite (at least DISH, presumably others as well); not just cable.

doody.

mr_doody AT yahoo DOT com
post #117 of 430 Old 12-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Merry Christmas all... I'm glad to see the component input issue being discussed as I thought this was a major problem when I first saw the HDL back in May. I do not think this can be fixed via software, but it would be a real good thing if it can be. I think the impending Pioneer Card works the same way, two sets of component inuts, one for SD and one for HD.

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #118 of 430 Old 12-25-2003, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Fleener
Another thing that would be good is NOT to have the menu show up every time you switch inputs or turn it on. If I need to go into the menu I can do it. But as it is now I must shut that thing off every time. It's like having someone talk over the movie. VERY DISTRACTING!
You can turn this off using the R1-1 key combination. R1-2 turns it back on.

Merry Christmas!

=== Tim
post #119 of 430 Old 12-26-2003, 10:59 PM

Ofer,

I just pulled my entire system apart. I hooked the Panny up directly to my plasma via progressive RGB. No lines or pixelation of any type. I assume at this point that it is the DVI cable running between the HDL or the HDL itself. Since I have no other DVI cable besides the one buried behind the wall, I will have to get back to this tomorrow when I can send the image through another DVI cable. Any thoughts in the meantime would be helpful. Understand that I was getting the same type of issue with Sat source. The only difference was the fact that the lines were not present around objects as in the DVD source but along the entire right side of the Sat source. Does that sound like a DVI cable issue, or a bad HDL? ??????????????????? Augh........

Marc....
post #120 of 430 Old 12-27-2003, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Marc,

I have seen this problem but on my HTPC via DVI to the same display.
(The card was a Radeon 9700 and it turns out the DVI transmitters
could not handle 1080p. I don't think it is the case with the Leeza)

I can usually make it go away by using a lower resolution. If your
display can handle multiple resolutions I suggest you try it.

If the problem persists with shorter cable it is likely something in
the Leeza.

If the dots only appear on the image but not the menus, the problem
is likely on the input side of the unit.
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page