post #181 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by michaellucky
Hi Ofer

in HD Hanna we took all your advise on PAL. So far the beta in Europe testers are very happy. By the way HD Hanna has firewire 5c in/out and all STB's will soon have Firewire outputs as well as required by FCC. So users will be able to record via DVHS, HD and play it back, etc... We think its a nice BONUS feature. what do you think?
Thank you
Michael,

Will these lovely new Firwire features be available as upgrades / retro fits to us HD LEEZA 1080 P owners.

Also, my Leeza is a very early unit and I have made no firmware or hardware
upgrades / retro fits to it. Can you PLEASE point me a definitive listing of what is available.

Also, is their a manual? I never got one. Is it on the web site.

I really like the unit . . . . of course even better is better.

Finally, I am MOST impressed that you post here so often. Much appreciated.

Best,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GregHoey
There are manual [s] for HD LEEZA???

All I got was this little brochure which is one step above useless.

So, IS / ARE there indeed HD LEEZA 1080 P manuals?

If so, Where do I get mine?

Thanks,

Greg
Manual

http://www.keydigital.com/keydigital...80P_manuel.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cwilson
Michael:

Is that a typo where you said 1400 x 960 will be coming? 960p is 1440 x 960.

Craig
Dear Craig

You are correct 1440x960.
Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pciav
Michael,

I have to disagree as I am sure other will too. I have yet to see anybody chime in and say that they prefer it this way. In fact a couple pages back is a bunch of posts on this subject. Can you explain how this is preferred when there are so many devices that output all formats from one output, not just STB's, but xBox, I believe even DVHS menus are ouput as 480i. This is a real inconvenience as it forces an additional hookup for SDTV ouptut, not to mention an unnecessary and time consumming input switch. The alternative is letting the STB de-interlace 480i and outputting only 480p, thus losing the benefits of the HDL's superior de-interlacing for native 480i. I brought this fact up to Mike T. at Eric's house back in May. If it is a hardware issue, I hope you fix this severe limitation in your future products. If it is fixable via firmware, please consider this as I think you actually gain a few sales from it. Thank you for your time and response.

Regards,
Dear Phil

I can respect your opinion.
Thank you

post #185 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Michael,

Lets be realistic here... What is better, one input that accepts only 480i and one input that only accepts 480p, 720p, 1080i or two inputs that accept all formats. What is more flexible? It is not about needing or wanting more inputs or adding switchers into the mix, where they have no place to begin with if there is/was proper implementation. You are completely missing the point, the point of convenience and simplicity. These type of answers and functionality are exacatly why I and many others do not own an HDL and the same reason why if and when an HD Explorer (KD-PIO768) is available, I will not purchase one either. For as forward thinking and a breakthrough product that the HDL is, it seems antiquated in its functionality based upon todays needs. Can somebody explain to me why if my Plasma and virtually every other HD display I know of can recognize all formats on one or multiple component inputs, this can not be built into a processor of the caliber of the HDL? I'm am lost and confused and would really like to understand the thinking behind this other than a dealer finds it useful. Is there a dealer here who finds this useful and can expand upon this and help a relative novice like me and others who do not understand what usefulness this provides?

Michael, please do not take this post the wrong way. I appreciate your contributions and what the HDL is or aspires to be. I just find your answer incredulous. Had you just said, it is a hardware limitation that we can not get around and offered a solution or a workaround to the problem I would understand, but this makes no sense to me. What is the solution for people that have Cable or SAT boxes that ouput all formats via component or have an xBox or DVHS where some things are only output in 480i via component and everything else is 480p and above. Once again, thank you for your time and responses.
Dear Phil

You can buy HD Hanna very soon, since you have different applications.
Thank you

post #186 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Dear Phil

You can buy HD Hanna very soon, since you have different applications.
Thank you
Michael,

Will the HD Hanna have all format component inputs? Are my applications really different than your typical customer?

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #187 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quotes from from the Key Digital HD Hanna Page

Inputs
• Flexible inputs supported:
• two RF tuner inputs (both capable of ATSC and analog TV)
• two Component Video (YPrPb) (480i)
• one RGBHV pass-through
• two Composite Video (CV)
• two S-Video
• RF inputs accept ATSC and analog TV (NTSC, PAL, PAL-M, SECAM) formats
• Two IEEE 1394 Firewire I/O ports supporting HDTV/5C and SDTV
• Four analog (standard line-type Left & Right pairs) Audio inputs

I do not see all format component inputs listed... It appears HD sources are handled separately.
Quote:
For those applications demanding 3-D comb filtering, DVI-D inputs, and HD scaling, HD Hanna supports it via an optional daughter board card. Custom Installers and Home Theater buffs will be delighted with HD Hanna, because it offers so much value all in one economical unit

Phil C.
post #188 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 247
michael,

I was examining the HD Hanna. From your specs, it seems that HI-Def component inputs are not provided. Am I missing something?

I do not see an SDI input, will there be any support for SDI?

Phil and I have Pioneer 503CMX wtih 5002 cards. That means no support for HDCP.

Will we be able to use the DVI output for:

1) Over the air broadcasts
2) HI-Def sources that are not HDCP encoded?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #189 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

One other thing,

Realistically, should a 503 user expect a Native Rate card from Key Digital?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #190 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Michael,

Will these lovely new Firwire features be available as upgrades / retro fits to us HD LEEZA 1080 P owners.

Also, my Leeza is a very early unit and I have made no firmware or hardware
upgrades / retro fits to it. Can you PLEASE point me a definitive listing of what is available.

Greg
Michael,

Thanks for the VERY quick reply and link to the manual -- you were MUCH faster answering than my printer is in printing it out.

If I may press the issue of UPGRADES and RETROFITS -- can you point me to a definitivie list.

Thanks again,

Greg
post #191 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1SalesPro
Michael,

Yes I am using 5555 and did read last nite about the command string to stop it in Draft 2.2. The r1 wait 1 command. Is that the neccessary step I missed?

I also do have an issue with using the input select <> buttons, sometimes they seem to skip inputs like s or c and go straight to sdi, sometimes not. Is r6 the only way to guarentee the input command?
Yes, you need to follow all steps correctly or the firmware will give you problems. You can also call Don 203-778-0295 ext:0 for help
Thank you

post #192 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Michael,

Thanks for the VERY quick reply and link to the manual -- you were MUCH faster answering than my printer is in printing it out.

If I may press the issue of UPGRADES and RETROFITS -- can you point me to a definitivie list.

Thanks again,

Greg
Dear Greg

If you have the earliest unit, than you will need to send it back for resistor and fan change and new firmware. Please call Dick 203-778-0295 ext:3
Thank you

post #193 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichB
michael,

I was examining the HD Hanna. From your specs, it seems that HI-Def component inputs are not provided. Am I missing something?

I do not see an SDI input, will there be any support for SDI?

Phil and I have Pioneer 503CMX wtih 5002 cards. That means no support for HDCP.

Will we be able to use the DVI output for:

1) Over the air broadcasts
2) HI-Def sources that are not HDCP encoded?

-- Rich
Dear Rich

For G3 and G4 Pioneer users we are releasing Pioneer scaler cards. HD Hanna has additional slot for various HD inputs.
Thank you

post #194 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Adams
I have to admit that this response absolutely baffles me. At DVDO we've heard from our customers (or potential customers) that having a component input which accepts all formats is absolutely essential. Many of these people get very confused (not to mention upset) when they find out that they can't feed a multi-format component signal (e.g., a STB output) into a single component input. That's one of the main reasons we designed this functionality into the iScan HD.

I must be missing something here. What exactly is it about single-format component inputs that your dealers find useful?

- Dale Adams
Hi Dale

i just want to clarify, are you a DVDO employee?
what is your position?
how long have you worked there?
Thank you

post #195 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Dale Adams Background

Phil C.
post #196 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi Dale

what is your position?
Thank you
Michael, if you are uncomfortable with Dale asking valid questions then I am more than happy to step in. I am not affiliated with any company... though I suspect your answers will still be as evasive...

Mark.

My cinema:

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #197 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what is your position?
Michael,

Just to be up-front about everything - yes, I'm an employee of Anchor Bay Technologies, which designs, markets and sells DVDO-branded products. (The legal DVDO, Inc. entity is still an official, although non-active, part of Silicon Image.) I'm a founder of the original DVDO, so I guess I've been with the company as long as anyone.

The link posted above provides a lot more detail if you want it. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you have them.

Our companies are competitors to a certain degree, although I don't think our current product lines overlap all that much. My main motivation for asking about this is that your feedback from your dealers is exactly the opposite of what we've been hearing. If there's a valid point of view that we're not aware of we would like to know about it. If you'd rather not pass that information on to a competitor, I quite understand.

- Dale Adams
post #198 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

This is really quite frustrating...michael, we all appreciate your posting here, but could you answer this very narrow question:

Is the fact that the HDL's HD component input does not accept non-HD signals a hardware limitation or a software issue???

Alan
post #199 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The rest of us would like to know though.

I apologize if my previous post was a bit over the top. I guess it was taken that way since KD has responded to most every other post except mine.

Actually, I asked before CES about what the deal was with the component inputs. Is it a firmware issue, a hardware issue, fixable for a price? I got no reponse then but assumed it was because all were busy getting ready for CES.

I am now not sure that is the case. I am concerned when I see Michael respond that we can 'buy the Hanna soon since we have different applications." Sounds to me as though the unit is what it is and is going to stay that way. Although, I hardly consider DVHS, HD Cable, and XBOX "different" applications. I would suspect they are or shortly be the mainstream. Certainly HD Cable if not the others.

I guess that most people who would buy the HD LEEZA don't watch TV in their theaters. :rolleyes: Or, they enjoy having to switch inputs when they go from channel to channel on the same cable box.

Michael, PLEASE give us a straight answer on this. You have been very helpful in the past and very straight with us. Is there a way to fix the component input issue or not? If so, how? These less than direct answers insinuating a switcher is required or we need to buy your new product is totally unlike KD. Is KD planning on offering some way to "fix" this "feature" that MOST of us who find it less preferable to single inputs that will take anything (like most HD capable devices.)

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #200 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 05:53 PM

After seeing the Hanna specs, seems there are benefits to it that "we" Leeza owners might be able to use. Depending on the STB/Receiver limitations, the RF input sounds like "fun". Any chance KD might be able to put that as an upgrade to the Leeza AND make the component inputs accept interlaced and progressive (through the same set)?

PLEASE :) ?

(Maybe even an auto pass through option controlled by remote to be able to troubleshoot/compare/test to switch back and forth from our recliner as we tweak) :D
post #201 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 06:30 PM

Not to run on, but since the gangs all here......

When using my STB @ 720p & HDTV input on the HDL I can fill the screen sweeet, with all the talk lately I just moved my STB component out over to SDTV input on the HDL set my STB @ 480i and I can't get full screen coverage so I tried to use "image position" Horizontal and from -99 to 00 to +99 the image doe not move? Why? I really would appreciate some input on this. (offset couldn't correct the problem, ended up same position) My vertical image position doesn't do anything either. ( I did use the R arrow to input)

Solutions, please?
post #202 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It's an input thing, what you need to be looking for is overscan correction.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #203 of 430 Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 PM

Ofer,
Could you expand on or simplify that process please?
post #204 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 03:26 AM

I have solved my PAL issues re my HD Leeza. I have purchased a DVDO Quadscan Ultra :)
post #205 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 03:30 AM

I guess that does mean DVDO and KD are competitors after all. ;)

It is a shame you have to buy a product almost one tenth the price to upgrade the KD :( What is perhaps more upsetting is I am a huge fan of my HD Leeza and it could be easily fixed.
post #206 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I guess you mean a DVDoIscan Ultra...as the Qudscan from Focus is not good at PAL either. ;)

Gordon

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #207 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 04:03 AM

Thats the one! Too many of these scaler things at home at the moment!, must admit to thinking the DVDoIscan Ultra as a lovely bit of kit.
post #208 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dear Rich

For G3 and G4 Pioneer users we are releasing Pioneer scaler cards. HD Hanna has additional slot for various HD inputs.
Thank you
I do not forsee purchasing a card for my 503cmx as I am likely to upgrade.

If I input DVI non-HDCP, with the Hanna output HDCP? In other workds,
does it encode non-encoded signals?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #209 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

The next issue of The Perfect Vision has a review of the HDL. Should be interesting to see if it is fluff or real substance. Anybody have an advance copy? I would love to know if they question the lack of all format component inputs...

Quote:
Coming Next Issue- TPV 53

Key Digital’s Fabulous HD-Leeza Scaler

Phil C.
post #210 of 430 Old 02-02-2004, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quotes from from the Key Digital HD Hanna Page

Inputs
• Flexible inputs supported:
• two RF tuner inputs (both capable of ATSC and analog TV)
• two Component Video (YPrPb) (480i)
• one RGBHV pass-through
• two Composite Video (CV)
• two S-Video
• RF inputs accept ATSC and analog TV (NTSC, PAL, PAL-M, SECAM) formats
• Two IEEE 1394 Firewire I/O ports supporting HDTV/5C and SDTV
• Four analog (standard line-type Left & Right pairs) Audio inputs

I do not see all format component inputs listed... It appears HD sources are handled separately.
Hi Phil

Dont be too quick to jump to conclusions. This a preliminary spec. The HD input card will support 480i, 576i/50; 1080i; 720p; 480p; possibly 1080i/50.
Thank you

Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page