New DVDO iScan HD+ - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1446 Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ISCAN HD+ for CIH setting questions:

1. Can you feed 1080p/60fps or 1080p/24fps to Iscan HD+? I am a bit confused. I thought it would only accept up to 1080i input. If it accepts 1080p input, can I do the zooming and panning as described below in question 3?

2. In case the answer for the question 1 is no, if you feed 1080i from blu-ray discs with 1080p, will there be any loss in picture quality? My projector is hc5500 which can accept 1080p/24fps.

3. Does HD+ have flexibility as DVDO Edge or DVDO VP30/50 in terms of zooming and panning? What I am planning is to vertically zoom the image in letterbox (to eliminate the black bars) and then shift up the image a little bit so that the subtitles in the bottom black bar can be shown.

Please anyone clarify the points. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1446 Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnathan View Post

ISCAN HD+ for CIH setting questions:

1. Can you feed 1080p/60fps or 1080p/24fps to Iscan HD+? I am a bit confused. I thought it would only accept up to 1080i input. If it accepts 1080p input, can I do the zooming and panning as described below in question 3?

2. In case the answer for the question 1 is no, if you feed 1080i from blu-ray discs with 1080p, will there be any loss in picture quality? My projector is hc5500 which can accept 1080p/24fps.

3. Does HD+ have flexibility as DVDO Edge or DVDO VP30/50 in terms of zooming and panning? What I am planning is to vertically zoom the image in letterbox (to eliminate the black bars) and then shift up the image a little bit so that the subtitles in the bottom black bar can be shown.
Please anyone clarify the points. Thank you.

You can "feed" the HD+ any Signal . Whether or not it will apply any processing is up to the type of Signal . 1080p/60fps will simply be passed through as the HD+ cannot work with this resolution . 1080p/24fps may be converted to 48fps . This is unclear in the Documentation and should be directed to DVDO .

1080p directly from the BD player to your Display is obviously the best Signal path . Having the Player re-interlace the Signal and then have the HD+ "bob" the Signal back to 1080p would not be the ideal scenario .

Your #3 depends again on the Input signal . I "feed" my HD+ 480i from an SD source . I can make use of all the zoom controls .

I hope this helps . Drop DVDO a line if you want specifics . They are more than willing to help but they don't come to this Thread anymore .

Scott...............

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #1443 of 1446 Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Thank you very much, Scott!!! It is very helpful!!!
post #1444 of 1446 Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

One more question from me

I have the possibility to upgrade my Bluray Player from the Samsung BD-P1500 to the BD-P2500.
I still want to use the HD+ for vertical stretch and horizontal squeeze and therefore i'm wondering if that scaler could affect the image quality of the BD-P2500 in a bad kind of way, since the HQV Reon chip is newer than the video processors of the scaler?

In other words: Does the HD+ improve the image quality from my actual BD-P1500 in such a good kind, that it doesn't make any sense to change this bluray player to a better device?
post #1445 of 1446 Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widlarizer View Post

One more question from me

I have the possibility to upgrade my Bluray Player from the Samsung BD-P1500 to the BD-P2500.
I still want to use the HD+ for vertical stretch and horizontal squeeze and therefore i'm wondering if that scaler could affect the image quality of the BD-P2500 in a bad kind of way, since the HQV Reon chip is newer than the video processors of the scaler?

In other words: Does the HD+ improve the image quality from my actual BD-P1500 in such a good kind, that it doesn't make any sense to change this bluray player to a better device?

I have both the HD+ and the Samsung BD-P2500. Here are my observations.

1. If you have a 1080p w/HDMI set, bypass the HD+ and connect the Sammy directly using 1080p out from Sammy
BD-P2500.

2. The Sammy BD-P2500 will also perform the 4x3 squeeze [for 1.33:1 movies] that previous HQV Samsungs would not. If you need custom squeezes/stretch of STD and BRD's, not possible without the HD+, but I don't understand why you would with the disc sources.

3. The Sammy BD-P1500 was not a HQV unit and would benefit from the HD+.

4. The HQV on the Samsung looks much better bypassing the HD+ on both my 46 1080p Sony and my 720p Panasonic PT-900AU projector.

5. You may miss some of the controls of the HD+, but I think you will find the picture much better.

6. The Sammy HQV has only controls for sharpness and noise, and I find it better with this set to off. Color/ brightness, etc. can be done from monitor/projector.

Sorry to say, but in this case it is goodbye to the HD+, even the simple Samsung HQV makes to me a startling difference for DVDs. I still use HD+
for 480i sources.
post #1446 of 1446 Old 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Hi grizbear,

thanks for your answer
It't nice to know, that the HQV performs better than the HD+. But i simply need the vertical stretch function of this scaler for my anamorphic lens setup Although the BD-P2500 does the squeeze for 4x3 content, it doesn't provide the needed vertical zoom feature.

So i think, that it would be a good compromise to keep the BD-P1500 and and replace the HD+ with the DVDO Edge.

I assuma, that the Edge must perform better than the BD-P2500.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page